X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Originally posted by Amalie:
    [b]
    Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
    Amalie do you have a recommended recording of Grosse Fugue? I only have the Guarneri Quartet on vinyl from around 1967 (which would be hard to follow) but I was wondering if there is something around more recent?
    Amalie, many thanks. I will check these out. I have a video somewhere called "Great Composers" from the BBC. About ten years ago. I only have the Beethoven and Mozart but they are fine programmes and on the Beethoven one, the leaader of the Lindsays ((I am sorry I don't recall his name) discusses and performs the Rasumovsky Quartets in an extremely compelling way. By the way, right now I am listening to Bliss's Viola Sonata by Peter Donohoe piano and Martin Outram viola. Courtesy yet again of Naxos. Worth checking out - gorgeous music. Thaks again for replying

Many thanks

Sorry Tony, I have just caught up with your message.
    Yes, I have heard the Guarneri Quartet are excellent.
    I can also recommend the recording I have of Beethoven's Late String Quartets by the Lindsay String Quartet.
    I find the Lindsay's very expressive playing and empathetic . They really play the music from the inside and have an understanding Beethoven. There is a very plangent and emotional quality to their playing.
    Having said all that, I have been meaning to get round to purchasing a recording of B's Late String Quartets by the Vegh Quartet.
    The Talich Quartet are also excellent.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 29, 2004).]

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Comment

The 7th Symphony because the funeral march on the 'Snickers' commercial reminded me and Missa Solemnis because I'm going to hear it live next week!!!
      I am woman. Hear me roar!

Comment

Yesterday, all Quartets of Opus18, this morning the three Op. 59, 'Rasumovski' by hyperion.

I wish, all Opus could have this lenght!

Comment

Joseph Gabriel Rheinberger, (1839-1901) http://www.rheinberger.li/

Big Mass in C, for Soli, Choir & Orchestra, Op.169, just my cup of tea!

Comment

Quartet in E for Strings - #11 - D 353 - Franz Schubert - Such a pity that condoms weren't around in 1822!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              Quartet in E for Strings - #11 - D 353 - Franz Schubert - Such a pity that condoms weren't around in 1822!

Comment

Weren't condoms invented by the Greeks in 26BC.
                Robert Schumann could have benifited from one (or two) of these in his wallet.

Now playing...The Suite Number 5 in E major by George Frederick Handel.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                  Weren't condoms invented by the Greeks in 26BC.
                  Robert Schumann could have benifited from one (or two) of these in his wallet.

Now playing...The Suite Number 5 in E major by George Frederick Handel.
                  space,
                  Yeah, but I don't think they were effective for disease prevention, in any case, half the population of Vienna had VD of some type or other.
                  But to give Schubert his due, I am now listening to his Quartet in d minor #14 D 810 - "Death and the Maiden" Such drama!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Margaretha:
                    The 7th Symphony because the funeral march on the 'Snickers' commercial reminded me and Missa Solemnis because I'm going to hear it live next week!!!
                    Am listening right now to Missa Solemnis Nikolaus Harnoncourt Arnold Schoenberg Choir The Chamber Orchestra of Europe. Supreme and sublime. Where are you going to hear this Master work next week?
                    Love from London

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                      [B] Am listening right now to Missa Solemnis Nikolaus Harnoncourt Arnold Schoenberg Choir The Chamber Orchestra of Europe. Supreme and sublime. Where are you going to hear this Master work next week?

The Washington Center in Olympia, Washington. God bless them!
                      I am woman. Hear me roar!

Comment

In honor of his birthday, the Sonata in e minor for Piano - #53 - Hob 16:34 - F. J. Haydn

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          In honor of his birthday, the Sonata in e minor for Piano - #53 - Hob 16:34 - F. J. Haydn

why, the New York Yankees- they just started there season in Tokyo. Oh, musically; still on Ives and those 4 sonatas.

------------------
                          v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited March 30, 2004).]
                          v russo

Comment

Why am I currently pulled so often to Vivaldi?
                            Cello Concerto, G major, RV 415
                            What would life be without miracles!

Comment

Pastorali,
                              That sounds great. If you are liking Vivaldi AND cello, let me recommend to you the Op 14 sonatas for cello and continuuo. They are outstanding.
                              As for me, I am still celebrating Haydn, this morning the Trio for Piano & Strings in f# minor Hob 16:39. Written after the 2 big London trips, these very late trios have enough complicated interest for anyone to like!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Last night, historical recordings from my neighbor's large collection: R. Strauss, excerpts from 'Salome'. Beethoven 2nd Symphony, Furtwangler. Wagner, Love Duet from Tristan Act II, Furtwangler, Kirsten Flagstad, soprano. Wagner, Liebestod from Tristan Act III, Frita Leider, soprano.
                                See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
                                X