No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a wonderful Sunday today!! The sun is shining and a deep blue sky overall, just great!

Hüttenbrenner: Missa Solemnis
    and now Vivaldi's lovely AnnaMaria Concertos

I could kiss the sky!

Wish you all a very nice Sunday!

Comment

Beethoven's String Quartet Op.131,
      performed by The Emerson String Quartet.

An awesome piece!

I understand it was never performed in B's lifetime?

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 28, 2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Romance no.one in G,Romance no. two in F Opus40 and 50.By Beethoven.
        Played by Gil Shaham.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Saint Saen piano concerto no.2 .
          The first movement is incredible!

Comment

The Haydn Symphony No.24 with the No.23 next.
            Happy Haydn Day......

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
              Beethoven's String Quartet Op.131,
              performed by The Emerson String Quartet.

An awesome piece!

I understand it was never performed in B's lifetime?

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 28, 2004).]
              Amalie do you have a recommended recording of Grosse Fugue? I only have the Guarneri Quartet on vinyl from around 1967 (which would be hard to follow) but I was wondering if there is something around more recent?

Many thanks

------------------
              Love from London
              Love from London

Comment

Today, the sad day of Beethoven's funeral, march 29th, it's of course A.H's. REQUIEM.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited March 29, 2004).]

Comment

I'm listening to Scarlatti sonatas played at breakneck speed by Wanda Landowska in 1949.Were these supposed to be played so fast? Even the slow dreamy ones have trills like lightning.

BTW has anyone else noticed this weekends lack of Gurn Blanston's 'Symphony in D' report,he must be out golfing.
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Just to recap the weekend, which I spent with no Internet, yesterday morning it was the famous Symphony in d minor, Op 125 by Bethoven, Orchestre Revolutionnaire etc / Gardiner. Magnifique!

But this morning, 8 Variations in F for Piano - K 374c - Mozart - Molto bene!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                      I'm listening to Scarlatti sonatas played at breakneck speed by Wanda Landowska in 1949.Were these supposed to be played so fast? Even the slow dreamy ones have trills like lightning.
                      space,
                      I don't know, the ones I have heard even on the piano are taken at a pretty brisk pace, and everything I have heard/read about Landowska is that she is the model of harpsichord style of her era, so I'm guessing that she is somewhere close to accurate with her tempos. Of course, I have only heard a tiny fraction of the sonatas...

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                        Just to recap the weekend, which I spent with no Internet, yesterday morning it was the famous Symphony in d minor, Op 125 by Bethoven, Orchestre Revolutionnaire etc / Gardiner. Magnifique!

But this morning, 8 Variations in F for Piano - K 374c - Mozart - Molto bene!

Ok, is excused!

One of the Quartets op.18, the #3 it is. Anche molto bene!

Comment

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 31 in A-Flat Op 110 with Soloist Eugene Istomin. An intimate and sublime composition for keyboard.

------------------
                          'Truth and beauty joined'
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                            [B] Amalie do you have a recommended recording of Grosse Fugue? I only have the Guarneri Quartet on vinyl from around 1967 (which would be hard to follow) but I was wondering if there is something around more recent?

Many thanks

Sorry Tony, I have just caught up with your message.
                            Yes, I have heard the Guarneri Quartet are excellent.
                            I can also recommend the recording I have of Beethoven's Late String Quartets by the Lindsay String Quartet.
                            I find the Lindsay's very expressive playing and empathetic . They really play the music from the inside and have an understanding Beethoven. There is a very plangent and emotional quality to their playing.
                            Having said all that, I have been meaning to get round to purchasing a recording of B's Late String Quartets by the Vegh Quartet.
                            The Talich Quartet are also excellent.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 29, 2004).]
                            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Charles Ives: Violin Sonatas 1-4 (Naxos)
                              A beautiful recording with great peroformances...(and only a whopping $7.99)

------------------
                              v russo
                              v russo

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Amalie:
                                [b]
                                Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                                Amalie do you have a recommended recording of Grosse Fugue? I only have the Guarneri Quartet on vinyl from around 1967 (which would be hard to follow) but I was wondering if there is something around more recent?
                                Amalie, many thanks. I will check these out. I have a video somewhere called "Great Composers" from the BBC. About ten years ago. I only have the Beethoven and Mozart but they are fine programmes and on the Beethoven one, the leaader of the Lindsays ((I am sorry I don't recall his name) discusses and performs the Rasumovsky Quartets in an extremely compelling way. By the way, right now I am listening to Bliss's Viola Sonata by Peter Donohoe piano and Martin Outram viola. Courtesy yet again of Naxos. Worth checking out - gorgeous music. Thaks again for replying

Many thanks

Sorry Tony, I have just caught up with your message.
                                Yes, I have heard the Guarneri Quartet are excellent.
                                I can also recommend the recording I have of Beethoven's Late String Quartets by the Lindsay String Quartet.
                                I find the Lindsay's very expressive playing and empathetic . They really play the music from the inside and have an understanding Beethoven. There is a very plangent and emotional quality to their playing.
                                Having said all that, I have been meaning to get round to purchasing a recording of B's Late String Quartets by the Vegh Quartet.
                                The Talich Quartet are also excellent.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 29, 2004).]

------------------
                                Love from London
                                Love from London

Comment

Working...
                                X