What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ahmad:
    Oh! That's astonishing! Do you organize your listnings according to some order?

Now with Rachmaninov famous piano concerto no.2 ...amazing!
    Ahmad,
    Well, I pretty much keep all the orchestral things in one cabinet, by composer, and then all the chamber music in another, also by composer. It is not so hard because I rip the CD to mp3 the first time I listen to it, and in future it rarely leaves the box again, and organizing mop3's is easy if you are a computer person, no?
    Rachmaninov #2 is one of my very favorite concertos, but not enough to make me take off this lovely Quartet in c minor Op 18 #4 by Beethoven!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Now with some french romanticism!

Saint Saen Piano Concerto in D major, #1, Op.17. Soloist: Pascal Roge with the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Charles Dutoit.

Saint Saen was a poet, Philosopher, playwright, astronomer, archaeologist and composer!

nice concerto !

Comment

Gurn
        I know what you mean, I got it exactly the same way. I suppose you have your own single office, not to part with other people? Hard to imagine you have the fortune to find other passionate CM listeners as you are. I think most other people are getting mad with 'our' music after a while. I am an 'office rubber' too (1 to 1 from swiss-german "translated", hope you understand... ) Anyway, often one has no possibility to listen CM while work. There is NO sound, or you have to listen to the local radio station and this is really troublesome if you have to do so (at least it is where I live), because the music then is just boring and disturbing (Boney M, Abba, Madonna, etc...) Then I prefer the SILENCE!!!!!!!!

But I thrown out my nets again, here my newest haul:
        Agostino Steffani: Suites Theatrales
        Mozart & Beethoven: Quintets, K 452 & Op.16
        Mozart: Horn Concertos K 412, K495, Rondo K 371
        Mozart: Serenade KV 361 "Gran Partita"

My day is done!

Comment

Pastorali,
          Yes, I have an office alone, many thanks for that! I bring 2 or 3 CD's with mp3's on them each has 10 or 11 hours of music, and my computer has a good sound system, so it works out very well indeed. There are some compensations after all to having to work in an office!

And right now, my compensation is Sextet for Strings "Souvenir of Florence" by Tchaikovsky!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited March 26, 2004).]
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
            Pastorali,
            Yes, I have an office alone, many thanks for that! I bring 2 or 3 CD's with mp3's on them each has 10 or 11 hours of music, and my computer has a good sound system, so it works out very well indeed. There are some compensations after all to having to work in an office!

And right now, my compensation is Sextet for Strings "Souvenir of Florence" by Tchaikovsky!

Gurn, we will have to start putting in our requests for you to play for us from your office. Shall we start with Mozart's Divertimento, K287, Please?

You are lucky to have your own space at work. When I am working in the phlebotomy room and play some classical music, I get some withered looks from certain members of staff. But when I am working in the Cardiac clinic, I have my own room and get all my own way and play soothing classics.

Right now I am listening to Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 3.
            by St. Luke's Chamber Ensemble.
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Last night on my local PBS TV station's broadcast of the series "Opera New York",
              I saw a video of Bizet's "Carmen" from the Glynbourne Festival in 2002, starring Anne Sofie von Otter. As I am rather new to opera, this was my first experience of this warhorse. I was very moved by the music and the story which I did not previously know. And Ms. van Otter was riveting as the sensuous free-spirited temptress who drives Don Jose to madness and murder. One could not take one's eyes off her expressive face and figure no matter who was singing. For a 47 year old she did a great job as a sexy young woman. I have to admit she distracted me so much that I do not remember who conducted or who played Don Jose. But I do remember there was music and it sounded pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 26, 2004).]
              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                Last night on my local PBS TV station's broadcast of the series "Opera New York",
                I saw a video of Bizet's "Carmen" from the Glynbourne Festival in 2002, starring Anne Sofie von Otter. As I am rather new to opera, this was my first experience of this warhorse. I was very moved by the music and the story which I did not previously know. And Ms. van Otter was riveting as the sensuous free-spirited temptress who drives Don Jose to madness and murder. One could not take one's eyes off her expressive face and figure no matter who was singing. For a 47 year old she did a great job as a sexy young woman. I have to admit she distracted me so much that I do not remember who conducted or who played Don Jose. But I do remember there was music and it sounded pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 26, 2004).]
                Steady on old chap! seems to me like you are suffering from mid-life-crisis!..

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 26, 2004).]
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

In honour of the man who died 177 years ago on this day, I have been listening to the three Equali for four trombones over and over - not very difficult to do as each work is well under two minutes in length.

Michael

Comment

Yes,think of it ,177 years ago.
                    Now playing the complete violin sonatas,with Fritz Kreisler and Franz Rupp on piano.
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"Night at the bald mountain", an orchestral work by Mosest Moussorgsky, with the munich symphony orchestra (as I could understand from the dutch words!),Alfred Scholz conducting.

This work is the emended version by Rimsky korsakov of the original work "Jan on the bold mountain"

Nice work, worthy of listening..!

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited March 26, 2004).]

Comment

Scarlatti Sonatas - all of them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Zhire:
                            So I take it that you will not be needing to update us on this project for a while?
                            I am listening to the Sonata in F for Cello & Piano, Op 5 #1 - Pablo Casals / Rudolf Serkin - Bless you Louis, RIP

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Zhire:
                              How many sonatas have Dominico Scarlatti composed?
                              Any informatin about the "form" these sonata were written in?
                              Any suugestions for easy one to play?

Listening to funeral march from the "eroica "..26 march..

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
                                How many sonatas have Dominico Scarlatti composed?
                                Any informatin about the "form" these sonata were written in?
                                Any suugestions for easy one to play?

Listening to funeral march from the "eroica "..26 march..

Ahmad,
                                Well, there is this:
                                Scarlatti, (Giuseppe) Domenico (b Naples, 1685; d Madrid, 1757). It. composer and harpsichordist, son of A. Scarlatti. Thought to have been pupil of his father and after 1708 of Pasquini and Gasparini in Venice, where he met Handel. In 1709, according to one biographer, Handel's patron, Cardinal Ottoboni, arranged a friendly kbd. contest between Handel and Scarlatti which was a tie, Handel being adjudged the better organist and Scarlatti the better harpsichordist. Worked in Rome 1708-19. Choirmaster to Queen of Poland, composing operas for her private th. in Rome. Choirmaster, Cappella Giulia at St Peter's 1714-19. Court harpsichordist to King of Portugal and teacher of Princess Maria Barbara in Lisbon 1719-28; returned to Italy on leave 1725-9; accompanied Maria Barbara to Spain on her marriage to the Sp. Crown Prince in 1729. Stayed in Madrid for rest of his life, becoming Maria Barbara's maestro de cámera when she became queen. Domenico did for kbd.-playing what his father did for opera, by imparting to it a hitherto unsuspected freedom of style. Introduced many new technical devices (rapid repetitions, crossed hands, double-note passages, etc.) and the 550 single-movt. sonatas he wrote in Sp. are exercises (esercizi) as well as innovatory comps. foreshadowing sonata form. Also comp. 14 operas, masses, Stabat Mater for 10 vv., Salve Regina, cantatas, at least 12 concerti grossi, 17 sinfonias, and org. fugues. His works have been catalogued by R. Kirkpatrick, superseding the Longo catalogue begun in 1906."
                                Making me think around 550 in all! They have been recorded and a box set is available (harpsichord) of around 34 disks.

For me now, Sonata in C for Cello & Piano - Op 102 #1 by Louis Beethoven - RIP

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment