What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grande spectacolo!

Maybe not the most historicalpregnant piece of music, but I have always a lot of fun with it.

Niccolo Paganini, Violin Concerto No.1

"The Devil was at his elbow!" http://www.maurice-abravanel.com/pag...ricature1.html

Comment

The Bruno Walter with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra recording of the Brahms Symphony No.4. Very nice recording.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited March 24, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:

historicalpregnant

Well I have heard of hysterical pregnancy,but I'm not familiar with this term.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

BEETHOVEN - Complete String Trios,
          Arthur Grumiaux Trio.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            Well I have heard of hysterical pregnancy,but I'm not familiar with this term.
            Spaceray
            I meant, there are surely works, which are more importent in music history. In this case, again a creation of words far away of any sense. I'm very sorry for my terribly poor english, which is hopefully not the reason for a 'hysterical pregnancy' to anybody...

Giuseppe Tartini: Violin Concerto

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited March 25, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              The Sonata in f# for Piano, with the optional acompaniment of Violin & Cello (OK, Piano Trio to us!) by Joseph Haydn. Like Mozart, he rarely composed in the minor mode, but when he did...

... and when "they" did, they produced great works as with this unique piece I'm listning to today:

Mozart Piano Concerto in D minor ,no.20, k466

(Did you intented another thing?!)

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited March 25, 2004).]

Comment

I have today discovered Josef Suk, a composer, orchestra violinist, and the son-in-law of Dvorak. Listening to his "A Summer's Tale", op. 29. Quite beautiful.

I'm again struck by the immensity of time it it takes to explore music. Assuming one could arrive with an eager and fresh mind every morning, one could explore Western painting in depth in ten days at ten museums. For Western music, ten decades would seem too little.

Unless possibly, like Gurn, one could listen for twelve hours a day. Does he really do that?
                See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                  I have today discovered Josef Suk, a composer, orchestra violinist, and the son-in-law of Dvorak. Listening to his "A Summer's Tale", op. 29. Quite beautiful.

I'm again struck by the immensity of time it it takes to explore music. Assuming one could arrive with an eager and fresh mind every morning, one could explore Western painting in depth in ten days at ten museums. For Western music, ten decades would seem too little.

Unless possibly, like Gurn, one could listen for twelve hours a day. Does he really do that?
                  Chaszz,
                  Yes, he really does that! Life is good And after 9 years of it, I have really only scratched the surface, because even if you are extremely limited as I am, and only cover 200 years (basically 1700-1900) but try to listen to everything from that 200 years, I can't know anything about it from listening once, so it is a question of repetition then, and time is the only way. So from 6:45 AM when I get in my car to go to work, then all day at work and also to come home, then after dinner for a few hours, I pretty much do nothing without musical accompaniment. Of course, sometimes it is only in my head...
                  And right now, it is the Sonata in C# for Piano, Hob 16:36 by Haydn. SO much music, so little time!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
                    ... and when "they" did, they produced great works as with this unique piece I'm listning to today:

Mozart Piano Concerto in D minor ,no.20, k466

(Did you intented another thing?!)

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited March 25, 2004).]
                    Ahmad,
                    No, I intended exactly that! And one of my favorite concertos ever, too. And Beethoven's also! I hope you are listening to a version with B's cadenzas, they are the best!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yes, he really does that!

Ahh...Gurn!!! =8-))
                      Sounds great. I reach that too sometimes, but everyday! I wish myself you would be a DJ

Bach, Concertos. Gidon Kremer & Heinz Holliger.
                      Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.
                      I love this recording.

Comment

Chaszz,
                        Yes, he really does that! Life is good And after 9 years of it, I have really only scratched the surface, because even if you are extremely limited as I am, and only cover 200 years (basically 1700-1900) but try to listen to everything from that 200 years, I can't know anything about it from listening once, so it is a question of repetition then, and time is the only way....
                        And what were you doing before 9 years ago?
                        Metallica????....

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Metallica????....

Metallica? Gurn Blanston, no way ,I bet it was Stompin Tom Connors!

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Chaszz,
                            Yes, he really does that! Life is good And after 9 years of it, I have really only scratched the surface, because even if you are extremely limited as I am, and only cover 200 years (basically 1700-1900) but try to listen to everything from that 200 years, I can't know anything about it from listening once, so it is a question of repetition then, and time is the only way. So from 6:45 AM when I get in my car to go to work, then all day at work and also to come home, then after dinner for a few hours, I pretty much do nothing without musical accompaniment. Of course, sometimes it is only in my head...
                            And right now, it is the Sonata in C# for Piano, Hob 16:36 by Haydn. SO much music, so little time!

Oh! That's astonishing! Do you organize your listnings according to some order?

Now with Rachmaninov famous piano concerto no.2 ...amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                              Ahh...Gurn!!! =8-))
                              Sounds great. I reach that too sometimes, but everyday! I wish myself you would be a DJ

Bach, Concertos. Gidon Kremer & Heinz Holliger.
                              Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.
                              I love this recording.
                              Pastorali,
                              Yes, there is no denying that this is the greatest thing for me, being able to listen to music while I work makes it tolerable to be an office drone! OK, almost tolerable I would love to be a deejay, one thing I will tell you, each piece of music would be properly introduced and commented upon, none of this playing a 40 minute piece and then not telling us even what it is!
                              Well, I am a big fan of Gidon Kremer also, however, right now, it is the Quartet in D Op 18 #3 by that young Beethoven lad in Vienna. He has a way with a quartet, I predict that someday he will revolutionize the genre!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

quote:
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Metallica????....
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally posted by spaceray:
                                Metallica? Gurn Blanston, no way ,I bet it was Stompin Tom Connors!

space, believe me, if I had ever heard of Stompin' Tom, it would have been him.

Chaszz,
                                I have picked up something of your musical history in the last couple years, and I gotta tell you, mine is nearly as varied, including short stints as a professional folk-rock and country singer, 2 years of nothing but live jazz, and a heck of a bunch of rock 'n roll, mostly live also before I moved to this wilderness. But the bug thing that changed my listening habits was a career change from extremely active to office weenie. It's a question of time and technology now more than anything else. Like I say, I'm a lucky guy!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment