No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastorali, you rascal, it is certainly indulgent of you to listen to the Choral Symphony on a Wednesday evening! I, a much humbler sort, am listening instead to the Electoral Sonata #3 in D major - WoO 47 #3, composed by a 14 year old boy who I predict will amke a name for himself one day.
    After, also to bed, but tomorrow, it is Schubert Thursday, Ahh...

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

WTC ,Bach ,Book one.Vladimir Feltsman.Nice.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
        I am listening to Franz Schubert's complete incidental music to "Rosamude". What beautiful music Schubert composed.
        Absolutely!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
          Ohhh, this incomparable Symphony in D!
          Basicly I just liked to check out for myself the differences of the 'Allegro assai vivace alla Marcia-end'. One time without and the other with B's. original General Pause in bar 747, based on Del Mars 'Revision Report', which is referring to B's. original autograph copy.
          Finaly, I had to listen the whole Symphony, because I felt, it was just the right moment and the right mood to do it. WOW! An incomparable experience! (and this in the middle of the week)

Now it's after Midnight, time to slowly get in resting position. Mozart: Sonatas KV576, 545, 533 zzzzzz

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 07, 2004).]
          I can't go to sleep after listening to the 9th, I have to unwind first!!
          For me this sunny beautiful morning it's
          Mozart's Rondo in D K 485 with soloist Alicia de Larrocha, piano
          and
          The Romanian Rhapsody No. 1 by Georges Enesco with conductor Leopold Stokowski
          and the RCA Symphony Orchestra. If that doesn't wake you up and get you moving in the morning nothing will!!

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
            Pastorali, you rascal, it is certainly indulgent of you to listen to the Choral Symphony on a Wednesday evening! I, a much humbler sort, am listening instead to the Electoral Sonata #3 in D major - WoO 47 #3, composed by a 14 year old boy who I predict will amke a name for himself one day.
            After, also to bed, but tomorrow, it is Schubert Thursday, Ahh...

Gurn
            I cock a snook at you But you're right I'm a cheeky monkey, that I've done that! Now I have a big problem on Sunday, what shall I do???

To repair it, I do listen now to Schubert's 5th Symphony...

Comment

Mozart's arrangement of
              Handel's glorious MESSIAH.
              Written in a burst of creativity after a period of dejection.

From the chapel of the King's College Cambridge. and the BBC singers and concert Orchestra.

It is an interesting adaption of this great classic with a charm of its own, but the overall effect is to rather subdue it.
              Whether this is due to the fact of Mozart's catholicism looking slightly askance at the very forthright Lutheran harmonies in the Messiah, or whether religious tastes had changed generally in those 60 or so years is a moot point.
              I am not sure how well Handel went down amongst the Viennese public - though they admired Handel greatly, as did Beethoven of course - did not really feel at one with his music, perhaps because of denominational differences.
              I think the trumpet in particular was more subdued and merging into the orchestra more generally, and the horn emerging as the lead wind instrument in Mozart's time.
              There are interesting parallels in one or two passages with Don Giovanni and obviously the whole work has been cast in an operatic mode, as befits the greatest opera writer of all time. Death where is thy sting, has been transformed by Mozart, like a duet from the Marriang of Figaro, quite charming but with no real connection to Handel, I think.

I am sure Rod will put us all on the straight and narrow as far as interpreting this masterwork of Handel's.

Over to you Rod...

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 08, 2004).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

TJ,
                This is interesting.
                Shostakovich's Symphony no.7 is brilliant!
                I believe he wrote 3 or 4 war symphonies.
                I like his chamber work. He can work on a large and a small canvass.

This morning before setting off to work, it is - Beethoven Sextet in Eb major.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 06, 2004).]
                Amalie, thanks (as always) for your intelligent and insightful response. These are always a delight to read. Right now I am listening to "West Side Story (Symphonic Dances)" by Leonard Bernstein played by the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of James Judd. I can't enthuse enough about Leonard Bernstein. Such a tremendous musical creator and communicator. Check out his recording of Shostakovitch 5 and then wonder at the compositional genius of West Side Story. Also the Chichester Psalms and his interpretations of Mahler. I have a video smewhere of "Lenny" conducting with expert commentery by Oliver Knussen who is a fine composer, conducter and musicologist. Have a great Easter weekend.

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

This evening was jazzy, but right before Edvard Grieg, Peer Gynt, Op.23, Oslo Philharmonic, Barbara Hendricks Soprano – a great recording, splendid!

And a good night with these Piano Sonatas: 'Pastorale', 'Waldstein' & 'Les Adieux'

Comment

Good Friday music, from Parsifal. That's my religious observance for the day!
                    "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                      Amalie, thanks (as always) for your intelligent and insightful response. These are always a delight to read. Right now I am listening to "West Side Story (Symphonic Dances)" by Leonard Bernstein played by the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of James Judd. I can't enthuse enough about Leonard Bernstein. Such a tremendous musical creator and communicator. Check out his recording of Shostakovitch 5 and then wonder at the compositional genius of West Side Story. Also the Chichester Psalms and his interpretations of Mahler. I have a video smewhere of "Lenny" conducting with expert commentery by Oliver Knussen who is a fine composer, conducter and musicologist. Have a great Easter weekend.

TJ,
                      I think the important point is, like all the other correspondents on this site, is that we are all students of Beethoven (myself a mature student) and want to learn and share more about his life and music. I love to learn as much as I can. It is lovely meeting people on this site imparting their insightful comments and broad and deep appreciation of the Masters Music and as a pathway into the many and excellent books that have been written. It is nice to have such knowledgable people on this site who one can ask questions on, my own knowledge is really limited. I try to get a happy medium between finding time to read my books and exchanging views here on this site.

Frohe Ostern!

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                        my own knowledge is really limited.

[/B]
                        Dear Amalie
                        I can not agree! There are damning evidences, that this is not true!

On Radio: Dvorak, Serenade Op.22

Auch frohe Ostern

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 09, 2004).]

Comment

Violin Sonata No.1 in D major .Opus 12 No. 1
                          Played by Fritz Kreisler.He is sixty playing this in '36 , wonderful violin playing.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            Dear Amalie
                            I can not agree! There are damning evidences, that this is not true!

On Radio: Dvorak, Serenade Op.22

Auch frohe Ostern

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 09, 2004).]

You are very kind Pastorali,

This morning's listening included;

Schubert's German Dances, arr. Weber.
                            played by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

Mozart - Rondo in A minor K511
                            Andras Schiff (piano)

Reger arr. Schoenberg
                            A romantic suite Op125

Britten
                            Rejoice the Lamb
                            Sung by the Choir of St. John's College Cambridge.

Have a great weekend!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 10, 2004).]

Comment

Beyond within's Mozart topic reminded me to this Mass in C. Ahhhhh....soooo good! When it's finished, then I think it will be maestro's Symphony # 5, yep, molto maestoso today!

Confessing, the (pretty good) speakers are very loud now...I love it!

Comment

My post came twice, sometimes, it's hard to handle a computer... still the Mass in C

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 10, 2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X