No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEETHOVEN VARIATIONS on God Save the King, played on his own fortepiano by, Melvyn Tan. Excellent!

Stokowski's arrangement of Bach's Passacaglia & Fugue, C minor, BWV 582.

I don't know what the authentic movement would make of this but I thought the highly developed orchestration was wonderful!

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I've been working on a big paper this weekend, and today and yesterday I have been listening to all of the Beethoven symphonies in order. I am just starting 8 now.

Comment

Sir Arthur Bliss Piano Concerto. The wonderful Peter Donohoe with David Lloyd- Jones conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. On Naxos. Please check it out if you can. This is rich and powerful music.

------------------
        Love from London
        Love from London

Comment

Dvorak Symphony No. 7 in D minor op. 70
          Even in the minor key and on this cloudy, gloomy day Dvorak lifts the spirit to great hights

Comment

Even in the minor key and on this cloudy, gloomy day Dvorak lifts the spirit to great hights

Comment

Comment

Right before, a live show 'Sunday Night Classics' on german TV. With Cecilia Bartoli, she sang some parts of Salieri Operas. Maxim Vengerov and some others, mostly young talents...the most for me was quite interesting, but not all... For example a medley of five Beatles songs, played by the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra, yawn!! (April, the 4th 1964, the 'roaches' had the first five places on Billboard 100) so please please me...

Mozart, Piano Concerto #20, K 466, yes with the Cadenzas of Luigi
                Symphony #39, KV 543, actually, for me the best way to end the evening....good night.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 04, 2004).]

Comment

And Mozart's lovely Sonata KV 570, I have forgotten. I MUST listen to it yet.. zzzzzz

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 04, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

BEETHOVEN VARIATIONS on God Save the King, played on his own fortepiano by, Melvyn Tan. Excellent!

Stokowski's arrangement of Bach's Passacaglia & Fugue, C minor, BWV 582.

I don't know what the authentic movement would make of this but I thought the highly developed orchestration was wonderful!

The first piece of classical music I ever fell in love with, many years ago, was a Stokowski orchestration of a short movement from one of Bach's violin partitas.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Franz Schubert: Piano Sonata D 958
                      Used to listen Beethoven's Sonatas, I had the first time little problems with it, but in the meantime I feel very fine with it.

Comment

On this gloomy Monday morning, the Sonata in G for Violin & Piano - #1 - Op 78 - Johannes Brahms - the lovely second movement, in the minor, is perfectly evocative of what gloomy Mondays can be!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mozart's sonata K 331 on this warm ,sunny, glorious, west coast ,spring morning.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Well, now that we have a bit of sunshine, the marvelous Dvorak Quintet in A for Piano & Strings - #1 - Op 5 is just what the doctor ordered. The week will be OK after all!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Wet night here in (arguably) the greatest city in the world. Listening to Schumann's D minor Violin Concerto with Yehudi Menuhin under John Barbirolli conducting the Philharmonic Symphony of (arguably the greatest city in tne world) New York. A recording in mono from 1938 but as fluent and as passionate as anything recorded today.

------------------
                              Love from London
                              Love from London

Comment

(Is this topic popular or what!?!?
                                Can not resist to make a small contribution. - Recently (late March) I stumbled on the Ninth Symphony as arranged by the 18 year young Richard Wagner; for fortepiano solo with vocal chorus. I acquired it instantly and got rather fascinated by it with its most transparent sound compared to the original. The Liszt transcription clearly ranks higher to me, but since it lacks the effect created when blending human voice and piano, the Wagner arrangement has it reson d'ĂȘtre. Therefore I got somewhat surprised to read that my recording (produced late 1990s) claimed to be the world premiere (on BIS lable). First and finale mts. are simply splended. Upon this sound experince I would very much like to hear Beethoven's own piano reductions of his Opferlied (=Hess91) and Bundeslied (=Hess92), both presented in 1822 to. Have anyone of you come across these versions? They ought to be out there, somewhere, don't you think? / Yours F.G.

Comment

Working...
                                X