No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was treated to a performance of Beethoven's "Rage Over a Lost Penny," one you do not often hear. Very enjoyable!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Chaszz, No, properly it would be "Variations on a Theme Attributed to Haydn" There is so much confusion over who wrote Haydn's music, even HE succumbed to it, when he cataloged his works late in life he took credit for some works that were surely written by his brother, and also for what was his Op 3 Quartet / Divertimentos, which are demonstrably by someone else. It is amazing to have left behind such a huge body of work that one can't remember it all oneself!!

I am listening to the Master's final sonata, in c minor of course, #32, Op 111. Can't wait for that swinging little jazzy part!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Now Haydn's Sonata No. 33, with the wonderful Andante I have loved in a performance I have by Brendel. Sounds good by Jando, also.

(All these Haydn sonatas are on the Naxos radio service, on the Classical Piano channel. I had to skip one so I could switch over to wqxr.com and listen to a Tannhauser Overture conducted by James Levine. I tried listening to both at once but there was too much of a good thing.)

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 02, 2004).]
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

The Dvorak Symphony No. 6 in D Major Op.60
          If Schubert was the melody master of the first 25 years of the 19th century, surely Dvorak was in the last 25 years.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited April 02, 2004).]

Comment

King,
            Great observation, no argument there!
            But for me, the Sonata in a minor for Violin & Piano - #4 - Op 23 (my favorite Beethoven V & P sonata).
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
              I tried listening to both at once but there was too much of a good thing.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 02, 2004).]

Step by step, Chaszz! This is really too much...
              I declare my week of Quartets as finished. Today I had a healthy mix of Ludwig van Beethoven, Haydn, Vivaldi & Grieg.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 02, 2004).]

Comment

Beethoven Violin Sonata in G major, Op.96
                Josi Hattori/violin/viiola
                Badura-Skoda, piano.

Beethoven, Piano Trio in Eb major, Wo0 38.
                The Floristan Trio

Vivaldi Cello Concerto, in G, RV414
                Academy of Ancient Music.

To wish you all a beautiful and sunfilled morning!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 03, 2004).]
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Ain't Sunday, today? Doesn't matter!!

W. A. Mozart's 'GREAT MASS in C', KV 427, Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Ferenc Fricsay. Sopran: Maria Stader. What a wonderful voice!!! And what a great work it is indeed!

I'm almost sure – today MUST be Sunday

Comment

Beethoven Violin Sonata No.5 in F major, Opus 24,"Spring" Played by Max Vengerov.
                    Beautiful, warm ,sunny , west coast,spring morning .
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Antonin Dvorak: Concerto for Cello and Orchestra, Op. 72/2

Comment

Aria: "Dies Bildnes ist bezaubernd schon" from Die Zauberflote Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Herbert Von Karajan Wiener Philharmoniker

Can anything be purer?

------------------
                        Love from London
                        Love from London

Comment

DJ Micro and Paul Van Dyk at the moment. I find the underground dance composers to be much more interesting and valid than the majority of the newer crop coming out of the academy, ...dont you?

------------------
                          v russo
                          v russo

Comment

This Sunday morning, it's right now the incomparable Syphony in D minor! Zinman & the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich

Yes, it rocks!!

Mr. Blanston, Sir, you had no permission to leave the board again this weekend, did you?

A nice Sunday to all!!

Comment

Ha! What a coincidence!! I also am listening to the incomparable Symphony in d minor!! However, I listen to the Academy of Ancient Music / Hogwood version, equally rocking.
                              Amazingly, my internet connection began to work late last night, who can say how long this will last?? All the modcons out here in the country

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yesterday afteroon, Wagner's 'Die Walkure', live from the Met on the radio. Yesterday evening, saw Strauss' 'Salome' live AT the Met (review in Concerts thread). This morning, Verdi's 'Aida' on my cable TV's opera channel. Now, Rossini's 'Barber of Seville' on cable TV. Am I going nuts, or what?
                                See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
                                X