What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to right now?

Maybe we should start another thread since the old one is 7 pages!

Today it's Beethoven's Opus 27/1 and his 8th Symphony.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Before, I made a walk out to the dark meadows in this starry night.

The Missa Solemnis and all the stars above, just wonderful!

Comment

Always a pleasure to join my good friends on a new W.A.Y.L.T. page!
      For me, Sonata in C major for Violin & Piano, K 296 - W.A. Mozart. New recording today, Henryk Szeryng / Ingrid Haebler Very nice indeed!
      I wish someone could phonetically spell out for me the way to properly pronounce that fiddler's last name!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Unless I am very much mistaken I believe you pronounce it Sayring.Please correct me if I am wrong.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Trio in Bb for Strings - D 581 - Franz Schubert - I think this was the last Violin, Viola & Cello Trio written by a major composer. End of a genre?

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
            Trio in Bb for Strings - D 581 - Franz Schubert - I think this was the last Violin, Viola & Cello Trio written by a major composer. End of a genre?

The Romantic era generally seemed to abandon the string trio but there are some by later composers:

R. Strauss Theme and variations
            Dohnanyi
            Kodaly
            Sibelius: trio in g minor and suite for string trio in A major
            Schönberg: trio in one movement op.45
            Villa-Lobos
            Reger

Interestingly an earlier example is Matthew Locke's (c1630-1677) suite for string trio.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Robert Schumann, Symphony No.1 in B flat major, Op.38 'Spring'
              (Silesian Philharmonic Orchestra, Karol Stryja)

Schumann claimed, that he has written the score with a steel pen, found lying near Beehoven's grave in Vienna. (...)

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited March 16, 2004).]

Comment

Ligeti Etudes Idil Biret Naxos Perplexing but powerful music that I find myself returning to over and over

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

shit happens, I missed the bus. But there was

this wonderful sunny weather
                  a cute restaurant's garden right behind
                  a little beer

AND 59/2 & 59/3 in my walky – I love it, to drive bus!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    The Romantic era generally seemed to abandon the string trio but there are some by later composers:

R. Strauss Theme and variations
                    Dohnanyi
                    Kodaly
                    Sibelius: trio in g minor and suite for string trio in A major
                    Schönberg: trio in one movement op.45
                    Villa-Lobos
                    Reger

Interestingly an earlier example is Matthew Locke's (c1630-1677) suite for string trio.

Peter,
                    Thanks for the info, I had never run across most of those. I will look for some, particularly the Sibelius, even though he lived after the magic date, not by much anyway.

And for now, The Quartet in f minor for Piano & Strings - #2 - Op 2, Felix Mendelssohn. Bueno!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The Sibelius Violin Concerto. I have not heard it in years. Surely this must be the greatest violin concerto after Beethoven. At the end of the adagio I was nearly crying. It could move a stone....even....perhaps.... no, not Rod. Silly idea.

Tonight on the radio I heard a classical symphony by a Swedish composer, Petter Sundqvist. I think Gurn would like it. If he ever runs out of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven to listen to, he could try Petter Sundqvist. Nice symphony.

Right now the Beethoven Triple Concerto, Beaux Arts Trio and some orchestra conducted by Kurt Masur. I don't like the trio's playing, a little too much like a delicate approach to chamber music for a work of this strength, but the power of the music comes thru when the orchestra comes back in.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 17, 2004).]
                      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Right now the Beethoven Triple Concerto, Beaux Arts Trio and some orchestra conducted by Kurt Masur. I don't like the trio's playing, a little too much like a delicate approach to chamber music for a work of this strength, but the power of the music comes thru when the orchestra comes back in.

------------------------------------

I believe I have this same recording !!!! Is it coupled with the "Choral Fantasy" ????
                        If it is the same recording, I too believe they could have been more aggresive in their "solo" passages.....

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Musique:
                          believe I have this same recording !!!! Is it coupled with the "Choral Fantasy" ????
                          If it is the same recording, I too believe they could have been more aggresive in their "solo" passages.....

Todd

I'm not sure becuse I heard it on my cable TV classical music channel, with only a brief identification description on the screen. However, if it is by the Beaux Arts Trio and Masur, then it is no doubt the same performance, because they would not put out another CD with the same combination. Some aggression in the solo portions was indeed lacking.
                          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                            The Sibelius Violin Concerto. I have not heard it in years. Surely this must be the greatest violin concerto after Beethoven. At the end of the adagio I was nearly crying. It could move a stone....even....perhaps.... no, not Rod. Silly idea.

Tonight on the radio I heard a classical symphony by a Swedish composer, Petter Sundqvist. I think Gurn would like it. If he ever runs out of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven to listen to, he could try Petter Sundqvist. Nice symphony.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 17, 2004).]
                            Thanks Chaszz for that. The Sibelius was one of the original pieces that brought me to Classical music. Kyung Wha Chung and Andre Previn with the LSO. The Tschaikovsy on the other side (other side?!!! Who else remembers LP's?) I now have the Jascha Heifetz version with Sir Thomas Beecham and the LPO, but my young man memories are still with the fire of the first version I heard thirty four years ago. Right now I am listening to the Khachaturian Violin Concerto. Mihaela Martin with Theodore Kuchar and the National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine on Naxos. i honestly don't work for Naxos but, having been raised on this gorgeous concerto by David Oistrakh, this really is an extraordinary good version for only £4.99

------------------
                            Love from London
                            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

Chaszz,
                              Well, no danger of running out of my favorites, but still open to more from that era. I shall look up Sundqvist and see if I can obtain any of his work. Maybe chamber music...? BTW, I am also a big fan of Sibelius' Violin Concerto (and generally ALL violin concertos, even some post 1900 ones !!!! )
                              But right now, I am listening to the Concerto in Eb for Piano & Orchestra - #14 - K 449 - Uno who.

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment