Listening experiences II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening experiences II

I'm no musician and I never had any musically education (All I have is probably taste ). When I listen the first time to a particular piece of music, then I often need time, to get closer to this 'new' music. I love these processes, while I'm getting closer to a work, to all the contextes, the fine nuances, melodies, or the whole form. For me, it needs then many times to listen to. Each time I do, the music is going to be more impressive and beautiful and becomes more and more a own character to me. Well, I must say, I love this experience and discovering of classical music!! When I think about such great compositions like the incomparable Symphony in D, I guess this process will last lifelong.

How are your experiences? Maybe even similar? How is that for musicians? I think, it is much easier for a musically educated person, to 'understand' music, or to come easily close, isn't it?

The listening experiences I had as a child, before I really "knew anything" about music were generally more intense than they are now. Sometimes I get caught up in too much critical thinking or analyzing the music as it unfolds. It is my goal to someday get back to the enjoyment I had as a child, spending my allowance on LPs at garage sales and hurrying back to listen to them.

There is something about familiarity. I am often very interested, intrigued and even moved hearing something for the first time, but when you hear a piece that is familiar sometimes it really triggers a flood of emotions.

I am sure this has something to do with device of recapitulation in our beloved sonata allegro form...

Comment

My ability to violently love a piece has not changed at all since when I first started listening to music. Now instead, I can feel that way about much more,and for many more reasons. In the "wise listener" sense I can appreciate buildups, clever references to previous styles, and contrasting forms of expression. As a "learned" listener I can appreciate much greater the finesse of a modulation, or the interplay in counterpoint. I recently started learning a piano reduction of the Jupiter, first movement...its absolutely amazing how everything fits together.
      Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
      That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
      And then is heard no more. It is a tale
      Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
      Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Working...
      X