Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Bagatelles Op.33

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

This is a very good effort from Tan on Beethoven's own Broadwood piano. He played it after a complete restoration was undertaken, though the restorers did not undo the 'Viennesifying' of the instrument done in the local workshops. Despite this the piano still sounds 'English' enough, a bold colourful sound but to my taste unrefined compared to the best Viennese models of the time.

The recording has been reissued on Virgin in a boxed set with the piano concertos and the choral fantasy at bargain price. Keep a look out for it.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited April 07, 2004).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks for sharing these Rod.

I find No. 5 particularly interesting because I have been playing this one (on the piano, I mean) myself a lot lately.

I can't say I like the lower/mid-lower range of the fortepiano here on those runs, though. It seems to me the more homogenous sound of the modern piano works better here.

Also, on the section directly after the first repeat, you can't even really hear those upper accented notes at all. I imagine this has nothing to do with the piano, but was rather a choice made by the pianst. Not a very good one either. A very technically impressive performace, but other than that, I am not too impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        Thanks for sharing these Rod.

I find No. 5 particularly interesting because I have been playing this one (on the piano, I mean) myself a lot lately.

I can't say I like the lower/mid-lower range of the fortepiano here on those runs, though. It seems to me the more homogenous sound of the modern piano works better here.

Also, on the section directly after the first repeat, you can't even really hear those upper accented notes at all. I imagine this has nothing to do with the piano, but was rather a choice made by the pianst. Not a very good one either. A very technically impressive performace, but other than that, I am not too impressed.
        Well it may be a matter of taste, but the homogenous nature of the modern piano is one of its drawbacks to my ears. The bass and mid-range of most fps have a world of colour you do not find on any modern instrument.

So you don't like Tan's effort with no5, I presume the other two are satisfactory? Tan is not a perfect Beethovenian, on the same CD he makes a right mess of B's Fantasia and with the last set of bagatelles he is rather lack-lustre. He is much better with op33 and op119 and the variations on God Save the King and Rule Britannia, also on this disk, and for these I would recommend it.

There was an interesting TV program made about the restoration of the broadwood and Tan was performing here too. He said even after the restoration the instrument was difficult to play. One or two of the keys had to be re-tuned for the late bagatelles as the Broadwood's keyspan is not wide enough.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          There was an interesting TV program made about the restoration of the broadwood and Tan was performing here too. He said even after the restoration the instrument was difficult to play. One or two of the keys had to be re-tuned for the late bagatelles as the Broadwood's keyspan is not wide enough.

When was that? I would have liked to have seen it!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            When was that? I would have liked to have seen it!

Years ago!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Well it may be a matter of taste, but the homogenous nature of the modern piano is one of its drawbacks to my ears. The bass and mid-range of most fps have a world of colour you do not find on any modern instrument.
              It's not a matter of like or dislike. I just don't think it suits this piece particularly well. In other places, it makes things a lot better - such as in the Mozart piano concertos.

So you don't like Tan's effort with no5, I presume the other two are satisfactory?
              Pretty good, but I am not as familiar with those two as I am with No. 5. I have only played through those a couple of times. No. 5 is one I have put a lot of practice into. I listen to all the bagatelles with about the same frequency, but sitting down with the sheet music in front of you gives you some interesting insight outside of any one person's interpretation. Otherwise, I might not have even noticed those missing notes in No. 5.

Comment

Working...
              X