Listening experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening experiences

What are some of your favorite listening experience memories?

Here are some of mine:

I remember coming out of a performance of the Brahms Ein Deutches Requiem. There was a dense fog and an eerie glow to the landscape. It matched my mood perfectly.

A Janet Baker recital. I remember thinking how she just kept giving and giving...I decided this was my ideal of a performing artist.

One time I sneaked down to one of the high priced seats during a Met performance of Mozart's Abduction. Gail Robinson sang just to me that night. Every note filled me with a serene kind of joy.

I remember sitting very close to the stage during a Vladimir Feltsam recital. Parts of it I didn't care for, but his Pictures at an Exhibition was electrifying. I was on the edge of my seat.

Perhaps my favorite all-time listening experience:
    Seeing Beethoven's 9th symphony performed live for the first time. What an exhilarating night!

Comment

Hearing two of my piano teachers pupils - one performed the Grieg piano concerto and the other Granados's Goyescas - both first rate and superb.

Performing Elgar's Enigma variations with the Brighton Youth Orchestra in Lisbon was also an incredible experience - I will never
      forget the amazing reception the portugese gave us and the enthusiasm with which they joined in with Elgars' Pomp and circumstance no.1.

The concert last year in the Theater an Der Wien which recreated Beethoven's mammoth 1808 concert was also an unforgettable experience as was hearing Rossini's recently revived Ermione at Glyndebourne 10 years ago.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Perhaps Otto Klemperer conducting Mahler 2 at the Royal Festival Hall in London 1972 or the LSO with Tschaikowsky Manfred.Around 1974 at the Conway hall in London a performance of the Cesar Franck (I think) Piano Quintet I can't recall the performers but the lady pianist was wonderful.

------------------
        Love from London
        Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
          Perhaps Otto Klemperer conducting Mahler 2 at the Royal Festival Hall in London 1972 or the LSO with Tschaikowsky Manfred.Around 1974 at the Conway hall in London a performance of the Cesar Franck (I think) Piano Quintet I can't recall the performers but the lady pianist was wonderful.

The Tschaikowsky was conducted by Andre Previn with shattering impact The concert also had an unforgettable performance by Ishtak Perlman of Bartok 2 Mr Previn is a tremendous all rounder Listen to "Pal Joey" with him playing Jazz piano

------------------
          Love from London
          Love from London

Comment

There is a place here in my city that offers great quality international concerts, and one of them was Paul Badura-Skoda. This place isn't much known outside the music-lovers-listeners-buyers circle and so the audience (of about 100) was motionless and soundless to experience the Apassionata, Mozart's variations on some theme (which I don't recall, this was in replacement for a Mozart sonata), Haydn's 11th sonata and Schubert's 16th sonata.
            It happened about 3 years ago, I still recall it as yesterday for it was the best performance I've ever seen on piano.

I also had another great experience with an orchestra called OSESP, the best in Brazil (they shook up the Tornhale playing Brahms' First, they had standing ovations throughout Europe in that turney). They received Kurt Masur to play Brahms' fourth, some Strauss' overture (fantasie?) in replacement ( ) for Schumann's fourth, and Beethoven's egmont overture. Their hall is the second best acoustics in the world (second to one in Switzerland, which I don't know) and they made THE performance of Egmont, I mean, THE performance of Egmont. Also left me in the skyes. Their Brahms' fourht was REALLY good too, and Strauss' was better than I expected (I never liked R. Strauss much, and it got worse when I heard his Don Quixote, argh!)
            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Seeing Beethoven's 4th Symphony and 5th Piano Concerto (two seperate concerts, I mean) at the BSO were two of my favorites. Great preformances both.

Comment

My dear friend Catherine Lewis singing the Four Last Songs of Richard Strauss with a small but excellent orchestra at the University of Victoria about ten years ago.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

For me, it's my very first classical concert I've visited with my dad. It was Brahm's Symphony No.1 – wonderful played, great acoustic, everything was really perfect!

At that point I knew – Classical Music is my thing!

Comment

A performance of the 7th Symphony by the BYU Chamber Orchestra provided my most memorable listening experience. That night in the final movement there was electricity among the players and especially the timpanist, a faculty member, was fun to watch. I've never heard since a more exciting performance of any other work.

Comment

Working...
                    X