• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What concert have you seen recently?

------------------
    v russo
    v russo

I have seen the great concerto No 3 from Rachmanninov with Adam Golka in the piano (this boy is only 16 years old).

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:

My last visit to a concert was Helene Grimaud, playing the 'Emperor' and it was a wonderful evening! I liked the way she played very much, though the Steinway sounded hard sometimes.
      The concert of this opus was something special to me, just to top maybe sometime with the 4th Piano Concerto, the Symphonies 3, 5 and of course the 9th!!! I can wait...

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by v russo:
        [B]What concert have you seen recently?

I will answer myself here I guess:

Last night at Carnegie Hall, I saw the Sanfrancisco Symphony conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas performing: a rare work by Debussy, A new work by John Adams and a simply gorgeous version of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade".

------------------
        v russo
        v russo

Comment

Just attended a all Beethoven evening with Takacs.

Those guys rule \o/

Comment

I seen a concert that performed a beethoven overture, and his violin concero durring the first half. Sadly the second half was the awfull Stravinskys rite of spring. It just seemed random and loud. The music might of fit a movie if it was composed for Friday the 13th part 26 or something.
            I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit:
              I seen a concert that performed a beethoven overture, and his violin concero durring the first half. Sadly the second half was the awfull Stravinskys rite of spring. It just seemed random and loud. The music might of fit a movie if it was composed for Friday the 13th part 26 or something.

I'm glad you enjoyed the first half of the concert, but Stravinsky's Rite of Spring is a significant piece of early 20th century repetory. The music was so loud and racuous at its premier that it caused a riot in the audience. Stravinsky is one of the great composers of the last century.

------------------
              v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited March 26, 2004).]
              v russo

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed the first half of the concert, but Stravinsky's Rite of Spring is a significant piece of early 20th century repetory. The music was so loud and racuous at its premier that it caused a riot in the audience. Stravinsky is one of the great composers of the last century.

My goodness - we agree! The Rite is an incredible piece.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  My goodness - we agree! The Rite is an incredible piece.

It was bound to happen...

------------------
                  v russo
                  v russo

Comment

I'm glad you enjoyed the first half of the concert, but Stravinsky 's Rite of Spring is a significant piece of early 20th century repetory. The music was so loud and racuous at its premier that it caused a riot in the audience. Stravinsky is one of the great composers of the last century.

Andy Warhols pop art is meant to be significant. That doesnt stop it from being pointless crap. I am not surprised there where riots in the audience i felt like rioting too :P. I will listen to it again sometime to see if it grows on me. I doubt it though its just isnt my sort of thing.
                    I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Andy Warhols pop art is meant to be significant. That doesnt stop it from being pointless crap. I am not surprised there where riots in the audience i felt like rioting too :P. I will listen to it again sometime to see if it grows on me. I doubt it though its just isnt my sort of thing.
                      Warhol "pointless crap"??? His art and what it forcasted for modern life makes him one of the great prophets of modern culture.
                      Learn your history, Fix-It! Expand your horizons sir...

------------------
                      v russo
                      v russo

Comment

Warhol "pointless crap"??? His art and what it forcasted for modern life makes him one of the great prophets of modern culture.
                        Learn your history, Fix-It! Expand your horizons sir...

Your talking to me like i know nothing about art. I dont know too much, but i know enough to know that most stuff post surrealist is not worth bothering with. Any Warhol made 8 hour movies of the empire state building with one fixed camera position. He made crass commercial pretentious stuff. Well we all got diffrent tastes i supose.

Comment

Your talking to me like i know nothing about art. I dont know too much, but i know enough to know that most stuff post surrealist is not worth bothering with. Any Warhol made 8 hour movies of the empire state building with one fixed camera position. He made crass commercial pretentious stuff. Well we all got diffrent tastes i supose.

His art was intentionally commercial. He was doing that to reflect his time and challenge the nature of art and what it could be. Not only was Warhol one of modernity's greatest artists, he was one of its most valuable minds as well...

You are missing a whole realm of art because you have closed your mind to it. Never close your mind to anything fix-it.

------------------
                          v russo
                          v russo

Comment

A recital at Weill recital hall of Schuberts last 4 sonatas. I enjoyed these pieces very much. I was not to familiar with his sonatas, so this was a real treat. They all had a touch of Beethoven, yet had all of Schuberts lyricism and color. These were true Romantic period works; heartfelt, long, emotional and ever stretching and blurring the lines of traditional classical sonata form. It was Mr. Fleishers "workshop series", so there was a different pianist performing on each sonata. They were all solid and vibrant young musicians.

------------------
                            v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited April 01, 2004).]
                            v russo

Comment

His art was intentionally commercial. He was doing that to reflect his time and challenge the nature of art and what it could be. Not only was Warhol one of modernity's greatest artists, he was one of its most valuable minds as well...

You are missing a whole realm of art because you have closed your mind to it. Never close your mind to anything fix-it.

Do you know who Jack Kirby? You most likely dont. He was and is the greatest comic book artist. He is barely rembered at all even though he has contributed more to western culture than Andy ever has. It must because he is merely a comic book artist. Please dont tell me my mind is closed. I have studied Warhols art quite a bit. So i think know enough about to dismiss it if i want too.

Comment

Working...
                              X