Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is it with ppl's obsession with note perfection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is it with ppl's obsession with note perfection?

i was wondering about this question. out of all the competions i have entered in the last month, i have always been marked down for making mistakes. i played the winterwind etude by chopin, and i was placed second because i played a few wrong notes, while the girl played a slow far easier piece, nocturn by grieg came first. this happened again in my school comp, though that time it was because the phone in the room went off during my performance.

i hav always believed interpretation, musicality and performance is what really counts, not playing something note perfect. as long as its not too many wrong notes of course. what do you guys think, this very knowledgable bunch!??

Shane

Shane,

First of all, the results of a contest depend on the judges and all of the prejudices, biases, personal preferences, neuroses, etc, that they carry with them. Sometimes the results are startling and sometimes they seem reasonable.
    In general, however, a note perfect performance means very little to a judge. I'm not talking about poor preparation, bad technique or shaky intonation. That will definitely take you down a notch or two. however, if a judge hears what they consider to be a great performance, they won't even notice a few minor blips.
    I have yet to judge a contest, but I have been privy to the goings on behind some. They look for a certain sound, maybe a certain consistency to the sound. That is probably the most important thing and it is usually related to technique. If there is someone who plays with technical command and a beautiful sound, that person will have a good chance of winning. If someone has those same qualities plus they communicate emotions and personality, they're a shoe -in. Farther down the list, I think, are stylistic concerns (well, those ornaments aren't really appropriate, the tempo was a little unorthodox, etc.)
    Yes, I have seen contests where sheer technique and a clean performance won, but that was usually because nobody showed up who had those qualities plus that something extra.
    There probably are a few bitter old teachers who only want clean notes. Usually they are in academic institutions and don't perform very often.

These are some of my thoughts on contests. In general, I believe the good prevail, but it might take time.

I would like to hear what others think on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
      Shane,

First of all, the results of a contest depend on the judges and all of the prejudices, biases, personal preferences, neuroses, etc, that they carry with them. Sometimes the results are startling and sometimes they seem reasonable.
      In general, however, a note perfect performance means very little to a judge. I'm not talking about poor preparation, bad technique or shaky intonation. That will definitely take you down a notch or two. however, if a judge hears what they consider to be a great performance, they won't even notice a few minor blips.
      I have yet to judge a contest, but I have been privy to the goings on behind some. They look for a certain sound, maybe a certain consistency to the sound. That is probably the most important thing and it is usually related to technique. If there is someone who plays with technical command and a beautiful sound, that person will have a good chance of winning. If someone has those same qualities plus they communicate emotions and personality, they're a shoe -in. Farther down the list, I think, are stylistic concerns (well, those ornaments aren't really appropriate, the tempo was a little unorthodox, etc.)
      Yes, I have seen contests where sheer technique and a clean performance won, but that was usually because nobody showed up who had those qualities plus that something extra.
      There probably are a few bitter old teachers who only want clean notes. Usually they are in academic institutions and don't perform very often.

These are some of my thoughts on contests. In general, I believe the good prevail, but it might take time.

I would like to hear what others think on this topic.
      And never forget Bulow's famous comment 'in the beginning there was rhythm' - Rhythm is number one in my book. Of course good technical control is also essential if the right sound is to be produced.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Shane:

i hav always believed interpretation, musicality and performance is what really counts, not playing something note perfect. as long as its not too many wrong notes of course. what do you guys think, this very knowledgable bunch!??

Shane
        I can't quote the exact words, but Beethoven expressed the same exact opinion once.

That should make you happy...

Comment

In a letter from Beethoven to Karl Czerny,
          Vienna 1817.

With regard to his playing:
          When he [your pupil] is with you I beg you to wait until he is using the right fingers, keeping to right time and playing the notes more or less correctly, and only then to criticize his rendering. Also, once he has got so far, do not interrupt his playing because of small mistakes but point these out only when he has finished the piece. Although I have given a few lessons, I have always followed this method for it soon forms misicians and this, after all, is on of the foremost aims of art and less tiring both for master and pupil.
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
          X