Virtual Beethoven, on eBay,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amalie:

Personally, I am averse to reducing the great Maestro to this dreadful piece of 'kitsch' .
    I have since learned that Gail Altman, author of Beethoven, Man of his World, and 'Fatal Links', has purchased it and using it for educational purposes, bringing Beethoven to the people.
    The Beethoven mannequin is in her Bookshop, in a study room as it were, the room is Oriental in decor, and Beethoven sits at his desk, with quill, his candle and his books, and is sourrounded by the subjects which were of interest to him, like music, poetry, philosophy, nature and religion.
    Having him in her bookshop gives her the opportunity to educate the public about Beethoven the man & his music, being some sort of paradox, people learn that beautiful uplifting music was written by a man who, along with his darker side, was also generous, kind, funny, and spiritual, a man who wrote that music the way it was bacause of who he was inside.
    I guess it doesn't hurt for people to learn about Beethoven also that he wasn't some kind of irascible, ugly little gnome.
    Sometimes you have to shock or at least surprise people in order to change their views.
    Good luck to Gail Altman!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 31, 2004).]
    I've read her book! Thanks for getting us updated on the whereabouts of this 'odd' purchase. As you say, it certainly doesn't hurt for people to learn about Beethoven, the more the merrier!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited April 01, 2004).]
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
    X