It's Papa Haydn's Birthday !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Papa Haydn's Birthday !

It is the anniversary of the day Franz Joseph Haydn made his first appearance in the big wide world. March 31st. 1732

~~~~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAPA HAYDN ~~~~

He live through of course enormous changes.
    He grew up when the ancien regime must have look as though it would last forever.
    Yet by the time he died in 1809, Europe had been plunged into revolution and Europe wide conflict. By the time of his death, he must have thought the world had gone completely insane, compared with the world he grew up in. It must have seemed to him like the madness of Napoleons wars would go on forever and one can only guess at the sadness and despair this induced in this great composer. I think it was rather different with Beethoven, because he grew up in a world that was already changing, and as we know, like Wordsworth, he initially welcomed the revolution, but this most certainly could not be said for Haydn!
    who yearned for the old certainties and stability of society.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Yes, Happy Birthday, Papa. You wrote so much good music that people today still undervalue it because they can't comprehend it all, but your peers knew it for what it was. You have and continue to bring me pleasure. Great day!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Happy Birthday Mr. Haydn! I wasn't aware of that, but now reason enough to celebrate it with some of his London Symphonies...

Comment

All praise papa Haydn! The father if the symphony and quartet, as well as one of its greatest practicioners (I realize I just made a spelling error)... God bless you. You, the leading example and greatest of all the classisists!

Wow, another Aries. I knew there was always something I liked about this man.

------------------
        v russo
        v russo

Comment

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, Papa Haydn!

Comment

When I get home, I will raise a class of wine and put on a Haydn CD and toast to his memory!

Alle Gute Lieber Joseph!

(It's interesting to know I have the same star sign as papa Haydn, as my birthday was only two days ago!)
            "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

From Steppenwolf:
              (It's interesting to know I have the same star sign as papa Haydn, as my birthday was only two days ago).

Wishing you a very belated Happy Birthday, Steppenwolf.

[This message has been edited by Andrea (edited March 31, 2004).]

Comment

Happy birthday to the man who has brought nothing but happiness to my life through his music.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                  Happy birthday to the man who has brought nothing but happiness to my life through his music.
                  Amen to that...

Comment

Happy Birthday Papa Haydn! 1732-1809. Here are a few quotes. He said of Mozart, "My friends often flatter me about my talent, but he was far above me." For the most part he had to teach himself once saying, "Proper teachers I never had. I always started right away with the practical side, first in singing and playing instruments, later in composing. I listened more than I studied, but I heard the finest music in all forms that was to be heard in my time thus little by little my knowledge and my ability were developed." And of a young Beethoven he once said, "Beethoven will in time fill the position of one of Europe's greatest composers."

------------------
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      Happy Birthday Papa Haydn! 1732-1809. Here are a few quotes. He said of Mozart, "My friends often flatter me about my talent, but he was far above me." For the most part he had to teach himself once saying, "Proper teachers I never had. I always started right away with the practical side, first in singing and playing instruments, later in composing. I listened more than I studied, but I heard the finest music in all forms that was to be heard in my time thus little by little my knowledge and my ability were developed." And of a young Beethoven he once said, "Beethoven will in time fill the position of one of Europe's greatest composers."

Joy, He, Haydn, also once said of Beethoven:
                      "I think you are a man with different heads, different hearts and different souls".

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                        Joy, He, Haydn, also once said of Beethoven:
                        "I think you are a man with different heads, different hearts and different souls".
                        Now that's a 'different' quote. You probably could take that a few different ways!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

great stuff joy, thanks for the info...

------------------
                          v russo
                          v russo

Comment

Working...
                          X