Haydn - Corrupt deviant ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haydn - Corrupt deviant ?

Gioacchino Antonio Rossini wrote in a letter to Leopoldo Cicognara, Feb, 1817.

Here are my ideas on the present state of music. Ever since the five notes were added to the harpsichord (after 1750),
    I have maintained that a dire revolution was brewing in our art which at that time, had reached perfection: for experience has shown that when we wish perforce to achieve the best, we fall into the worst.
    Haydn had already begun to corrupt purity of taste by introducing strange chords, artificial passages and daring novelties into his compositions, but he still preserved a sublimity and traditional beauty which would seem to excuse his deviations..
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Originally posted by Amalie:

Gioacchino Antonio Rossini wrote in a letter to Leopoldo Cicognara, Feb, 1817.

Here are my ideas on the present state of music. Ever since the five notes were added to the harpsichord (after 1750),
    I have maintained that a dire revolution was brewing in our art which at that time, had reached perfection: for experience has shown that when we wish perforce to achieve the best, we fall into the worst.
    Haydn had already begun to corrupt purity of taste by introducing strange chords, artificial passages and daring novelties into his compositions, but he still preserved a sublimity and traditional beauty which would seem to excuse his deviations..

and then Beethoven came along and destroyed it all!! (thank goodness)

all hail the great stepping stone in western art music... L.V.B.!!

------------------
    v russo
    v russo

Comment

If he thought Haydn's music was corrupt and deviant(!), perhaps it's just as well he never heard gansta rap!

"It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
        If he thought Haydn's music was corrupt and deviant(!), perhaps it's just as well he never heard gansta rap!

Corrupt maybe, but there's nothing deviant about gansta rap.

In anycase, this man was a fool \o/

Comment

Working...
        X