The Genius of Mozart Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Genius of Mozart Part 2

I watched and recorded this on BBC 2 in London last night and thought it marvellous. Unfortunately I missed the first part on Friday 19th March. Did anyone record this and, if so, might want to swap it for a blank tape or even (if this is permitted) sell it to me?

On a related note, I have long wondered that if one misses a TV programme, there any way that a copy of it can be purchased from the relevant TV company?

Does anyone know?

Many thanks

tonyjohnhearne@aol.com

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Yes I am enjoying this series, but alas no recording! I think the first part was better (it was extraordinary that in discussing Mozart's operas he should leave out Don Giovani!) and am looking forward to next weeks.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter many thanks for replying. I, too, look forward very much to next Friday's programme. I agree entirely with your comment about Don Giovanni and also wonder about the wisdom of not including Cosi Fan Tutte? Wolfgang Amadeus's genius is spell binding. I often fantasise about being in some kind of time capsule and travelling back to quietly observe the moment when he and Beethoven met.

------------------
      Love from London
      Love from London

Comment

I thought it was a myth that Mozart met Beethoven?
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          I thought it was a myth that Mozart met Beethoven?
          Beethoven went to Vienna in 1787 with the intention of studying with Mozart. I find it hard to believe that whilst there for nearly 2 weeks he would have made no effort to meet the great man.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

But there is no conclusive evidence?
            Only speculation?

Didn't much the same thing occur with Handel and Bach.In the same town for a few days but they did not meet?
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Didn't much the same thing occur with Handel and Bach.In the same town for a few days but they did not meet?
              True, they never met, but I believe Handel left before Bach could arrive. Some have held this against Handel, to the effect that he was 'affraid to meet his superior'. Utter nonsence of course, whichever way you look at it.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 29, 2004).]
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

But there is no conclusive evidence?
                Only speculation?

There is evidence that Beethoven heard Mozart play. Although it isn't totally reliable the story of Beethoven improvising for Mozart comes from Seyfried. Ferdinand ries claimed Beethoven received some instruction from Mozart. Czerny states that Beethoven heard Mozart play on more than one occasion. As late as 1823 in a conversation book, Karl asks Beethoven 'You knew Mozart?...where did you see him?' which implies a positive response from Beethoven. As I previously stated I find it highly unlikely that Beethoven could have been in Vienna for 13 days without making any effort to contact the man who was the whole purpose of the trip!

In the case of Bach and Handel they definitely did not meet.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X