No announcement yet.

"Bach, Beethoven, Brahms"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to mention my favorite works by Brahms, which have not been noted yet in this discussion, the luminescent Third Symphony and the Haydn Variations.

I would agree with Peter that Wagner was more important. I have read one or two comments by Brahms in which he seems to consider Wagner greater than himself. Unfortunately I don't have them handy. He shared little or none of the partisan rancor with which his followers attacked Wagner. He even wrote to Wagner asking for a copy of the 'Tristan and Isolde' score, which Wagner was unable to send, sending 'Rheingold' instead. Brahms really wanted to go to the first 'Ring' at Bayreuth, but feared he would be jeered by the Wagner fans. For Wagner's funeral he sent a huge floral arrangement, which the widow Cosima scorned as hypocritical, leading Brahms to remark that honest feelings were not appreciated. Sorry to ramble on this topic again, Gurn...

It seems to me that R. Strauss has to be considered a late romantic, because he grew up and started writing music in that era. I wouldn't think you could be called 'neo-' unless you were reviving something at a later time, with another style intervening.
    Although Struass wrote some expressionist music and pushed the bounds of tonality for a while in his later youth, apart from that his style throughout his life was late romantic, period.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
      I'd like to mention my favorite works by Brahms, which have not been noted yet in this discussion, the luminescent Third Symphony and the Haydn Variations.
      Hey you, i did say i preferred his last 2 symphonies over his first... :P

I have read one or two comments by Brahms in which he seems to consider Wagner greater than himself.
      I think he considered everybody greater then he was.

Had he been a little less paranoid about his own abilities we might have had a little more compositions under his name...

[This message has been edited by Opus131 (edited March 15, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        now Bach, Beethoven, Beetles is another matter!!

Which are the three B's everyone knew in the 60's and 70's!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          Which are the three B's everyone knew in the 60's and 70's!

This is too tricky to me. Please, what is 'Beetles'?

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited March 15, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
            This is too tricky to me. Please, what is 'Beetles'?

A quartet of roaches. One of them got shot...

[This message has been edited by Opus131 (edited March 15, 2004).]

Comment

Geez, Opie, you really ARE a cynic, no?
              Pastorali,
              The Beatles were in fact a pop group that were very popular and influential in the 1960's. For those of you who were too young or isolated to have been around int he early 1960's, I will tell you that you may find their music fairly routine out of context as you hear it now, but at that time, it was manna from heaven compared to the pap and drivel we were getting. So be nice! If we could get Paul McCartney to leave Classical Music alone, all would be well!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

"A quartet of roaches. One of them got shot... "

hahaha thats so awesome.....

As for the above post..did PM insult classical music???
                Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
                That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
                And then is heard no more. It is a tale
                Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
                Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

He shared little or none of the partisan rancor with which his followers attacked Wagner. He even wrote to Wagner asking for a copy of the 'Tristan and Isolde' score, which Wagner was unable to send, sending 'Rheingold' instead. Brahms really wanted to go to the first 'Ring' at Bayreuth, but feared he would be jeered by the Wagner fans. For Wagner's funeral he sent a huge floral arrangement, which the widow Cosima scorned as hypocritical, leading Brahms to remark that honest feelings were not appreciated. Sorry to ramble on this topic again, Gurn...

I have read that Brahms' favourite opera was Der Fliegende Hollander.
                  "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
                    "A quartet of roaches. One of them got shot... "

hahaha thats so awesome.....

As for the above post..did PM insult classical music???
                    Only by trying to write some. He did 2 albums that I know of, I heard some of one of them called "Standing Stone" and was not impressed, although the mere fact that he had the guts to do it is impressive enough, I guess.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      Only by trying to write some. He did 2 albums that I know of, I heard some of one of them called "Standing Stone" and was not impressed, although the mere fact that he had the guts to do it is impressive enough, I guess.

I agree. His attempts at this were less impressive than his accomplishments in the 60's and 70's and I'm being nice! Didn't he write a requiem as well?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                        Geez, Opie, you really ARE a cynic, no?
                        Pastorali,
                        The Beatles were in fact a pop group that were very popular and influential in the 1960's. For those of you who were too young or isolated to have been around int he early 1960's, I will tell you that you may find their music fairly routine out of context as you hear it now, but at that time, it was manna from heaven compared to the pap and drivel we were getting. So be nice! If we could get Paul McCartney to leave Classical Music alone, all would be well!

Ahhh... a typo, I really was dazed.

Gurn, thank you that you see me in such a flowering youth!

At the times of the Beatles I actually still weared Pampers, but the fame of them reached naturally also into our mountain valleys.

sincerely, your laddie

Comment

At the times of the Beatles I actually still weared Pampers, but the fame of them reached naturally also into our mountain valleys.

sincerely, your laddie

This made me laugh, because at the time of the Beatles, I was CHANGING Pampers in a mountain valley. The sounds of the White Album can still bring a nostalgic whiff of used Pampers to my mind's memory...

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

sincerely, your laddie

What, you mean you're not under 30? You sound in too good a mood most of the time to be anywhere approaching my age! I was at the impressionable age of 13 when the Beatles first appeared on the scene, which is likely why they have remained fond in my memory even now, 10 years since I last heard a pop song by anyone!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited March 16, 2004).]
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well I have to say I have never really been a follower of the Beatles music,
                              But McCartney's attempt at classical mucic is more listenable than those depressing 60's songs he wrote. Though I wouldn't run out and buy this classical album.

If you would like to sample pieces from his Classical album: Working Classics: Orchestral and Chamber.
                              See what you think.
                              You can download the pieces on this page:
                              http://entertainment.msn.com/album/D...x?album=505169

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 16, 2004).]
                              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Yes, I've never heard anything more depressing than "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"
                                I don't know Amalie, sometimes I have concerns about you. However, I will surmise that you were no fonder of "19th Nervous Breakdown", so I guess that all evens out.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment