What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Sunday morning music, of course, and since we see the sun for the first time in over a week, the 9th is particularly appropriate! Today, it is the classic edition, Berlin Philharmonic / von Karajan 1962. Splendid, splendid!!

Gurn, how many recordings of the 9th would you say you have? I think your collection of the 9th Symphonies is wonderful!
    This morning for me it's Beethoven's Piano Concerto #1 conducted by Leonard Bernstein.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

more Haydn and his later quartets, also his London symphonies....

------------------
      v russo
      v russo

Comment

Still on Beethoven's first Period..
        Beethoven Violin Sonata no.2 Op.12/2...
        Nice..!

Comment

A lot of Beethoven through the whole day and now a 'french' evening with:

Hector Berlioz, Symphony Fantastique and Georges Bizet, Symphony C-Dur

Comment

Haydn's Symphony No. 79 in F Major. In my opinon not one of his best but a delightful
            work just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Gurn, how many recordings of the 9th would you say you have? I think your collection of the 9th Symphonies is wonderful!
              This morning for me it's Beethoven's Piano Concerto #1 conducted by Leonard Bernstein.
              Joy,
              Well, I have reduced it to 6 for now, but they span the range from classic recordings to period style on period instruments then period style on modern instruments. I am probably going to expand again, I am torn between some different versions right now, but they do make me happy in any case, I never have a bad Sunday if a get to listen to the 9th with breakfast!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited February 16, 2004).]
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I don't normally post to a topic more than once a day but I thought the piece that I am listening to might interest some of you.
                It is the Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major Op.58 arranged for piano, 2 violins, 2 violas and a cello.The pianist is Robert Levin with members of the Orchestre Revolutionnaire Et Romantique.
                It is interesting to hear this work in the form of a Sextet, although it will never replace the one we all know and love.
                I would be interested to know if anyone else is heard this arrangment and if so what you think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                  I don't normally post to a topic more than once a day but I thought the piece that I am listening to might interest some of you.
                  It is the Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major Op.58 arranged for piano, 2 violins, 2 violas and a cello.The pianist is Robert Levin with members of the Orchestre Revolutionnaire Et Romantique.
                  It is interesting to hear this work in the form of a Sextet, although it will never replace the one we all know and love.
                  I would be interested to know if anyone else is heard this arrangment and if so what you think of it.
                  KS,
                  Yes, I have recently purchased that set. I bought it for the PC's on fortepiano, but the Piano Sextet and the Trio and Choral Fantasy were bonuses for sure! My initial feeling about it, beyond that I really liked it, was that it was almost too much music for such a small ensemble to play! But they do bring it off very nicely, and I think it adds a lot to the chamber music repertoire.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The mighty c minor - VPO / Kleiber - such power!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm listening to Schubert's "Gretchen am Spinnrade". This CD, with vocalist Anne Sofie von Otter, won the 2004 Grammy (U.S. music awards) for Best Vocal Performance in the Classical Field. Also Claudio Abbado conducted the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.

I know Peter will be happy about that!

------------------

Comment

Ha, well it is a Schubert kind of day then. I am listening to his Symphony in Bb (#2) D125 by the Hanover Band / Roy Goodman. Very nice stuff considering what a lad he was at the time. I was reading the other day in an old Grove (this article by George himself, so it represents late 19th century thought) that if Schubert had the investment in a musical education that other great composers had, he might have been the gereatest of them all, given the amount of sheer talent he had. I don't know, that is quite a sweeping statement, but he sure could compose though!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited February 19, 2004).]
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          Ha, well it is a Schubert kind of day then. I am listening to his Symphony in Bb (#2) D125 by the Hanover Band / Roy Goodman. Very nice stuff considering what a lad he was at the time. I was reading the other day in an old Grove (this article by George himself, so it represents late 19th century thought) that if Schubert had the investment in a musical education that other great composers had, he might have been the gereatest of them all, given the amount of sheer talent he had. I don't know, that is quite a sweeping statement, but he sure could compose though!

Hüttenbrenner told: "I learned to know Schubert while the years we had lessons by Salieri. For some years we met us two or three times a week there..."

Today, on this cold and fogy day, I selected for good reasons Vivaldi's 'English Concert'. And now I will take Schoeberl's #5 symphony – thanks for influence!

Comment

Pastorali,
                            Yes, the #5, the most classical sounding of them all, IMHO. I have worked my way up to the Little C major, #6. Most enjoyable.

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven, Missa Solemnis, Solti, Berlin Philharmonic, Runkfunkchor Berlin
                              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Listening to JC Arriaga's Symphony in D a nice work composed at 19 by the so called Spanish Mozart

Comment

Working...
                                X