X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert's Sym.#8 and #9.

Comment

Mozart's famous motet - 'Exultate Jubilate'

Breathtakingly beautiful! Like a ray of warmth and sunshine. There is something of the renaissance spirit in it ... the warm sunny weather and elegance of renaissance Italy shines throught it.
      "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)

Gregorianic Singings

Comment

Beethoven's Symphony #1
          Revolutionary & Romantic Orchestra
          John Eliot Gardiner, conductor

Good to hear this one again, it's been a while.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Beethoven's Choral Fantasy...

Comment

Cherubini's 1st Requiem - it really is a very fine work and deserves to be better known but I have always been puzzled at Beethoven's preference for it over the Mozart which to my ear is a far more powerful and original work.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  Cherubini's 1st Requiem - it really is a very fine work and deserves to be better known but I have always been puzzled at Beethoven's preference for it over the Mozart which to my ear is a far more powerful and original work.

That's sounds splendid, as I'm momentary on this line. I don't know both these Requiems, but I guess to find Mozart's one in my dad's rack. That brings me to the question, why Beethoven did write no Requiem?

I'm listening to Schubert's 'Winterreise', though we got almost spring here...

Comment

Last night on TV I saw a 1999 Hamburg State Opera production of Weber's Der Freischutz. A "modrunistic" set and production travesty, complete with roughly exaggerated campy ham acting, against all of which the music struggled vainly to prevail.

A fitting purgatory for these "modrun" directors and the producers who promote them would be to have to endure each others' productions over and over again for eternity. With the music played on tinny transistor radios.
                    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

The Quintet in A for Strings #1 Op 18 by Felix Mendelssohn - Hausmusik by Hausmusik

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                        That's sounds splendid, as I'm momentary on this line. I don't know both these Requiems, but I guess to find Mozart's one in my dad's rack. That brings me to the question, why Beethoven did write no Requiem?

I'm listening to Schubert's 'Winterreise', though we got almost spring here...

You must get to know Mozart's requiem! Beethoven was contemplating writing a requiem - he thought it should be peaceful music. The only requiem I can think of that approaches that stance is the Faure.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

You must get to know Mozart's requiem! Beethoven was contemplating writing a requiem - he thought it should be peaceful music. The only requiem I can think of that approaches that stance is the Faure.

I have no idea about this. Was this at the time arround creating the Missa? And why he didn't, finally? One just can guess how wonderful this work would be!!!!!!!

...listening to Hüttenbrenner's Missa, F minor, also a very peaceful work

Comment

Mozart's Requiem is a piece worth getting to know. Wasn't its completion under the direction of Mozart's widow, Constanze? Was Beethoven's thoughts of writing a requiem interrupted by his time consuming events with his nephew Karl?

------------------

Comment

Peter,
                              What would be your recommended recording of Mozart's Requiem. John Eliot Gardiner with the Monteverdi choir perhaps?

Thanks>>

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Beethovens 3rd with Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic from the early 60's. Truly amazing! What a ground breaking work. I can see why B said this symphony was his favorite.

------------------
                                v russo
                                v russo

Comment

Working...
                                X