X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Originally posted by spaceray:
    [b]
    Originally posted by King Stephen:
    At a concert in 1962 with Gould at the piano and Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic in a performance of the Brahm Piano concert no. 1 a strange thing happened. When the conductor and the soloist came on stage the conductor, Berstein, turned to the audience and said he was not in agreement with Glenn Gould on his interpretation of the concerto and was in no way responsible. I believe that was the last time they performed together on stage.

Gould wished to take "an unspectacular approach to this spectacular piece .He wanted to minimize the dramatic contrasts of piano and orcherstra and of 'masculine' and 'feminine'themes, to play down the elevated,often tragic rhetoric of the music and the barnstorming virtuosity of the solo part.Instead,he wanted to read into the music 'the analytical standpoints of our own day'-of Schoenberg.

This from "Wondrous Strange"
    by Kevin Bazzana
    GOULD WAS GUILTY OF THESE TYPE OF INTERPRETATIONS, YET THERE IS SOMETHING SO ARRESTING ABOUT HIS PLAYING! I HAVE HIM DOING THE EROICA VARATIONS AND THE OP. 126 BAGATELLS, WHICH ARE AMAZING!

GOULD WAS AN INTERESTING MUSICAL FIGURE TO SAY THE VERY LEAST...

------------------
    v russo
    v russo

Comment

Beethoven Trio for Piano, Clarinet and Cello..
      The 2nd movement is amazing..

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
        more Bruckner:

the 3rd/ Norrington

the 5th/ Ormandy- Philadelphia Orchestra

(I have recently seen Bruckners 5th at Carnegie Hall with the Philadelphia Orchestra with Swallisch at the baton. It was wonderful!

How does Norrington handle Bruckner? And to be back on topic, I've been listening to Atmospheres and Apparitions by Ligeti.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          Tegan
          I'm in the middle of a great book about Glenn Gould titled 'Wondrous Strange'by Kevin Bazzana.Glenn did not enjoy performing
          and hated the audience and made every effort to shut them out,he avoided all requests to socialize and thought of performing as the way to make money so he could do things ,like, broadcasting and recording .
          His programs of early music mixed with modern pieces were not to everyone's taste,the crowd pleasing music of Beethoven,Haydn and Mozart was not of any interest to him and he often refused to play what his employers wished to hear.
          It sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to look for it. I knew that he hated performing, and that he edited and remastered alot of his own CDs. I believe he had always planned to retire from giving concerts at the age of thirty, although in actuality, he was thirty-two.

Comment

LvB Variations (6) in D for Piano 4 Hands on Ich Denke Dein WoO 074 - Jorg Demus / Norman Shetler - Certainly some of the variations don't sound like "sunny" D major!!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Its fantasia in D minor by mozart at this same moment
              oh, am i still ill?

Comment

The Nikolaus Harnoncourt version of the 9th, with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, on Teldec.

A good performance, IMO.

What does everyone else think of this one??

------------------
                "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche
                "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Mozart Symphonies 14 and 33. They're playing a lot of Mozart today on his 248th birthday!!

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    Mozart Symphonies 14 and 33. They're playing a lot of Mozart today on his 248th birthday!!

Happy birthday Herr Mozart!

For now, I'm sticking in Brahms' Double Concerto for Violin, Violoncello and Orchestra in A minor, Opus 102.

Brahm's last work for big orchestra. In writing this Concerto, Brahms was attempting to restore his friendship with Joseph Joachim after a long period of silence.

Comment

Mozart's K 378,379,380 sonatas for Fortepiano and Violin played by Malcolm Bilson and Sergiu Luca.
                      Happy Birthday Wolfie.
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
                        Mozart Oboe Concerto..
                        In a letter to his father Mozart writes...
                        "I have made[the oboist, Friedrich Ramm] a present of my oboe concerto, which is being copied in a room at Cannabich's and the fellow is quite crazy with delight.I played this concerto to him today on the pianoforte at Cannibich's and , although everyone knew that I was the composer,it was very well recieved.Nobody said that it was not well composed."
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                          How does Norrington handle Bruckner? And to be back on topic, I've been listening to Atmospheres and Apparitions by Ligeti.
                          surprisingly well, and authentically of course!

The 3rd is not my favorite Bruckner symphony but check this out if you can, Norrington with the London Classical Players.

------------------
                          v russo
                          v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                            I like Ligeti as well. Have you heard his solo piano works? His etudes?

------------------
                            v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited January 27, 2004).]
                            v russo

Comment

I like Ligeti as well. Have you heard his solo piano works? His etudes?

I'm mostly familiar with Atmospheres, Lontano (a favorite so far), the Requiem, Lux Aeterna, Apparitions, and a work for harpischord which I do not recall the name. I am in the process of collecting the cd's that are published as the Ligeti Project. Oh, and I've had his Adventures and New Adventures for voice that I've enjoyed. Got to find a cd recording of that, too.

Comment

Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Op 58
                                Conducted by Kurt Masur with the New York Philharmonic and Helene Grimaud, piano. Excellent

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X