No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God, I can't believe you caught me listening to the Appassionata Sonata! How cliche, and here I was always so obscure. You guys snuck up on me when I wan't looking...

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Of course, you could equally well get some new music (bet it IS new to you) with one of the many excellent violin concertos or string quintets of Louis Spohr, for example, and likely do far less damage to your frontal lobes.

yes Gurn, that is your opinion...and yes, you are wrong. I have heard of Mr. Spohr. I will check out some of these quintets though.
      Thanks.

------------------
      v russo
      v russo

Comment

Bruckner Symphony No. 5.
        Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. What a perfect symphony.

p.s.
        I saw a piece by Ned Rorem last night at Carnegie Hall with the American Composers Orchestra. It was titled, "Lions (a dream)". I enjoyed this very much. It blended a post Romantic asthetic with small band Jazz. The results were very interesting. Rorem was in attendance and looked pleased with the performance.

------------------
        v russo
        v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:

I saw a piece by Ned Rorem last night at Carnegie Hall with the American Composers Orchestra. It was titled, "Lions (a dream)". I enjoyed this very much. It blended a post Romantic asthetic with small band Jazz. The results were very interesting. Rorem was in attendance and looked pleased with the performance.

You saw Ned Rorem ? Wow how is he looking ,besides pleased? I haven't thought of him in years .I know quite a lot of his songs.I will have to pull them out and listen to them again .Thanks for reminding me
          of him.
          Muriel

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            You saw Ned Rorem ? Wow how is he looking ,besides pleased? I haven't thought of him in years .I know quite a lot of his songs.I will have to pull them out and listen to them again .Thanks for reminding me
            of him.
            Muriel

he looked well, and in good health. I really need to be listening to more of his works myself.

v russo

Comment

Impromptu in Gb for Piano - Op 51 - Frederic Chopin -

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

God, I can't believe you caught me listening to the Appassionata Sonata! How cliche, and here I was always so obscure. You guys snuck up on me when I wan't looking...

We've gotten you!!! Welcome to the 'easy pieces'.

My thing is still AMore, you know

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited March 12, 2004).]

Comment

i am halfway through the incredibly beauiful last movement of the pastoral symphony.
                  www.tanzemakama.com

Comment

My sunday morning today:

Dvorak: 'From the new world'

Ildebrando Pizzetti: 'Messa di Requiem' et 'Tre composizioni corali'

Enjoy your weekend!

Comment

This morning's listening.

Beethoven's Fanatasia, Op.77, in G minor
                      to B minor.

Haydn's Paris Symphony the 'Bear'.
                      by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment./ Eliot Gardiner.

Mozart, Dove Sono, (Le Nozze di Figaro)
                      Sung by Kiri Te Kanawa.
                      The London Philharmonic Orchestra / Sir George Solti.

Bach - B minor Mass.
                      English Baroque Soloists

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 14, 2004).]
                      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

What a marvelous lineup you all have! Amalie, how is that Gardiner Haydn? I am interested in trying some if I can find it, but they seem to be quite rare.
                        Yes, Pastorali, that one slipped by me I'm afraid, and then when I went to type in the name, I listened for a second and realized that I had done myself in. I did have Hess 69 in the lineup though!
                        But this morning, dark and dreary, I thought I would lighten things up a little, so have put on the great Symphony in d minor by Beethoven. Sir George Solti and the Chicago Symphony are the culprits! Have a great day!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yes, Pastorali, that one slipped by me I'm afraid, and then when I went to type in the name, I listened for a second and realized that I had done myself in. I did have Hess 69 in the lineup though!

[/B]
                          Gurn
                          Just your fortune! And I'm sure you retrieved Hess 69 after the Appassionata. This one I rate very high for myself, specialy the firey moments. Can't get enough of this great sonata!
                          You mentioned Hess. A question: Are all catalogued works available on CD? The Opus works surely, but how is it with WoO and Hess? My personaly target is, to have once all of them in my collection. Have you already picked up all works by B. if even possible?

Listening to my newest good buy:
                          Mozart's Sonatas KV576, 545 & 533 Very fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            Gurn
                            Just your fortune! And I'm sure you retrieved Hess 69 after the Appassionata. This one I rate very high for myself, specialy the firey moments. Can't get enough of this great sonata!
                            You mentioned Hess. A question: Are all catalogued works available on CD? The Opus works surely, but how is it with WoO and Hess? My personaly target is, to have once all of them in my collection. Have you already picked up all works by B. if even possible?

Listening to my newest good buy:
                            Mozart's Sonatas KV576, 545 & 533 Very fine!

Pastorali,
                            I have worked hard the last 5 years to try and purchase every instrumental work known by B. I am missing only 3 or 4 that I really would like to have to fill in with, but I think it is safe to say that everything is out there, it simply takes being very dedicated to find all of it. Of course, I am cursed to be one of those people who are passionate to collect, so being persistent comes easily to me. I think where one will stumble is in trying to collect the songs and minor vocal pieces. This is so much harder, and requires luck as well. I will give you one solid piece of advice about collecting, once you get past the common things (you will always find a 5th Symphony! ) and that is when you see a CD with some rarity that you want, purchase it immediately. If you wait and it is gone, the chance may never come again. This has happened to me a few times, and I won't let it happen again!

So, Mozart sonatas. Beauty! Well, I am listening to Haydn piano pieces, right now is the Fantasia in C major Hob 17:4 by John McCabe.

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              [B]What a marvelous lineup you all have! Amalie, how is that Gardiner Haydn? I am interested in trying some if I can find it, but they seem to be quite rare.
                              But this morning, dark and dreary, I thought I would lighten things up a little, so have put on the great Symphony in d minor by Beethoven. Sir George Solti and the Chicago Symphony are the culprits! Have a great day!

Yes Gurn,
                              It was Gardiner conducting Haydn,s 'Bear' symphony, sorry for the omission.
                              On BBC Radio 3, Mozart will be featured as 'Composer of the Week', but alas, the programme starts at midday, when I shall be at work..

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited March 14, 2004).]
                              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I think where one will stumble is in trying to collect the songs and minor vocal pieces. This is so much harder, and requires luck as well. I will give you one solid piece of advice about collecting, once you get past the common things (you will always find a 5th Symphony! ) and that is when you see a CD with some rarity that you want, purchase it immediately. If you wait and it is gone, the chance may never come again. This has happened to me a few times, and I won't let it happen again.
                                Finding the music for Beethoven's "lesser"works is also a chore.
                                I do wish that singers would record more of B's songs ,a program might contain only one or two and often these are his more popular songs.
                                I know some folk are fed up to the teeth with vocal music and rarely listen to it ,but if you were searching for a fresh and new Beethoven rush all these songs are beautiful.And as Beethoven wrote the music
                                you simply can't go wrong.
                                Muriel
                                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                                X