No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once I counted 60 beans for my coffee just for the fun of it. It was STRONG!!! I have an old fashioned coffee bean grinder and a French coffee glass pot. It takes a bit longer to make coffee than the modern way but it's worth it!

This weekend was a Beethoven weekend for the classical music station. First it was Beethoven's 4th Symphony, than his 8th, than his 6th, then later on in the evening it was his Piano Trio and this morning The Creatures of Prometheus! Later this afternoon I'm going to a Beethoven concert at the Symphony so this has been one Beethoven weekend! I love it!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

You '60 beaners' up there...
      I had once a turkish coffee. I think this must have been similar to B's. coffee and it was much too strong. I guess 60 beans are making a day for me.

Unfortunately, the last few weeks I wasn't so much online as I liked to be, just a quick look every day to my favorite forum and all you people here. I promise improvement.

@Joy: This is a good dose for ONE weekend, respect to your radio station.

Momentary Haydn's Concerto in E-flat Major for Trumpet and Orchestra is bringing the molecules in fibration here. One of these works, with every listening I like it a bit more. Very nice.

sincerely
      your 'laddie'

Comment

String QuartetNo.12 in F major,Op 96 by Dvorak,played by The Takacs SQ.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

the Violin concertos of Philip Glass and John Adams. Eshenbach and the Minnesota Orchestra. Of course, I had to include this knowing so well how much NEW MUSIC is adored and LOVED on this forum!

------------------
          v russo
          v russo

Comment

Of course, you could equally well get some new music (bet it IS new to you) with one of the many excellent violin concertos or string quintets of Louis Spohr, for example, and likely do far less damage to your frontal lobes.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
              Momentary Haydn's Concerto in E-flat Major for Trumpet and Orchestra is bringing the molecules in fibration here. One of these works, with every listening I like it a bit more. Very nice.
              Pastorali,
              Yes, that is probably the best concerto that Haydn ever wrote. It was from very late in his career, and he hadn't written one for a long while, I think. I have 3 different performances of it, but my favorite is by jazz trumpeter Wynton Marsalis, he handles the virtuoso parts with such ease it is a pleasure to hear.

And now I go from the 9th all the way back to the beginning, and I listen to the excellent Symphony in C major - #1 - Op 21. I predict this man will be a star someday too! Ha, I love to predict the past, it is almost easy enough for me

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                Pastorali,
                Yes, that is probably the best concerto that Haydn ever wrote. It was from very late in his career, and he hadn't written one for a long while, I think. I have 3 different performances of it, but my favorite is by jazz trumpeter Wynton Marsalis, he handles the virtuoso parts with such ease it is a pleasure to hear.

And now I go from the 9th all the way back to the beginning, and I listen to the excellent Symphony in C major - #1 - Op 21. I predict this man will be a star someday too! Ha, I love to predict the past, it is almost easy enough for me

Gurn
                It is indeed this performance with Marsalis. It comes along with that Cello Concerto I mentioned a while ago. Unfortunately I got it only on tape, but again a second hand buy for 30 Euro Cents L L and it is perfect recorded, great sound! Haydn made just such a lot of good music – awesome.
                Just last week I enjoyed to watch a live performance of his symphony No. 103 'mit dem Paukenwirbel' Super!

In very opposite to Strawinsky's 'Agon' Ballett music, also was played huch, what was that? That was far away to my understanding of harmonic music, I was something dazed and confused...

Let's go back to the 'Viennas', in this case again Madame du Pre and Beethoven's Cello Sonatas.

regards

Comment

On this gloomy snowy morning the pick me up is B. 8th symphony, a real happy work

Comment

So, a little off the beaten path, new music without being new! Concerto in F# major for Violin & Orchestra, Op 14 - Henry Wieniawski - Gil Shaham driving the fiddle! Who says the Romantics couldn't make music?

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Lately I am too busy to "just" listen. This morning I listened to Mozart violin sonata K 301 with Perlman and Barenboim while I did some exercising. Gorgeous recording. Then I turned on Beethoven sym. 1 and did a sort of interpretive dance. This piece actually worked very well. It has a slow intro for warming up and the Allegro is perfect for jumping around and shaking things. My daughter saw me and couldn't stop laughing.

Comment

Rod's mp3's burned on CD. Op. 21-27.

A very nice authentic Beethoven mixture...

Comment

Haydn's 'Kaiser' (Emperor) string quartet. Lovely! I think Haydn's talent is most evident in his string quartets, even more than his symphonies. I get the feeling, listening to it, that actually playing it would be really fun, even more enjoyable than listening to it. Perhaps this is why Hadyn is sometimes called 'the musician's musician'.
                          "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

The Quartet in Eb for Strings - #5 - Op 44#3 - Felix Mendelssohn - The Romantic Era began with such promise!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Max Bruch, Symphony No.1, in E flat, Op.28

Not bad for a 14 year old boy!!! One could mean he will find his way too...

The Scherzo, Presto shows little Max's youth clearly. Like a young horse running over a summer meadow...go my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:

Not bad for a 14 year old boy!!! One could mean he will find his way too...

I have the same feeling of amazment whenever I listen to Mozart's sublime 'Exultate Jubilate', which I have been listening to a lot lately. It is unbelievable that it was written by a 16 year old boy!
                                "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X