No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Siegfried Idyll', by Wagner. For anyone who thinks Wagner couldn't compose symphonic movements as well as Beethoven, I encourage you to listen to this sublime piece!
    "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
      'Siegfried Idyll', by Wagner. For anyone who thinks Wagner couldn't compose symphonic movements as well as Beethoven, I encourage you to listen to this sublime piece!
      Step, I'm glad you have finally entered this sylvan realm!

Chaszz
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Verdi: String Quartet in E minor, The Delme String Quartet. Very fine.
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
          Verdi: String Quartet in E minor, The Delme String Quartet. Very fine.
          Thanks for that Chaszz - I didn't even know he wrote a string quartet!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Verdi slept for years with score copies of Mozart and Beethoven SQ's near his bed, he used to read the scores to get sleepy and it was always his ambition to write a quartet, finally realized with the e minor. This is his only non-operatic/non-orchestral piece of work, and a pretty good one at that. It would be my opinion that you could play this for 100 people and not a single one would guess "Verdi".
            But for me, the Symphony in C, K 425 'Linz" by Mozart - Academy of Ancient Music. Splendid!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm enjoying The Muir Quartet, while they were performing in Phoenix, playing Beethoven's Quartet No. 4 in a performance that was presented by the Phoenix Chamber Music Society.

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited February 26, 2004).]

Comment

Shostakovich Cello Concerto Number 2 Maria Kliegel with the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Antoni Wit Paired on the CD with the Cello Concerto number 1 A fantastic work and on NAXOS for only £4.99

I was listening to Shostakovich's tenth symphony earlier today at work. Extraordinarily powerful This is a truly great composer

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Stephen Foster's Beautiful Dreamer.
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Quartet for Piano & Strings in C major - WoO 36 #3 - L.v.B. - Amazing stuff for a 15 year old!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

beethoven sonata no. 23 in f minor, opus 57
                      *appassionata*

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        Stephen Foster's Beautiful Dreamer.

Space, this was my Grandmother's favourite song and I love it too! I have the piano piece and like to play it, it's so lovely. Did you know he wrote this song after hearing it in a dream he had hence the title? (That's the story I heard anyway).

For my listening pleasure this morning part of it consisted of the Flute Concerto in A by Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach with Conductor Mario Bernardi and the CBC Vancouver Orchestra with Soloist Robert Aitken, flute.
                        A very enjoyable piece indeed.

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited February 27, 2004).]

Comment

R. Strauss, 'Arabella', a late, lyrical opera, with Montserrat Caballe in the title part. Purely wonderful flow of melody.
                          Of course, he was attacked by critics of the time for being retrograde and going back to traditional harmony, but the opera entered the repertory, and where are those critics now?...

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 27, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                            Space, this was my Grandmother's favourite song and I love it too! I have the piano piece and like to play it, it's so lovely. Did you know he wrote this song after hearing it in a dream he had hence the title? (That's the story I heard anyway).

For my listening pleasure this morning part of it consisted of the Flute Concerto in A by Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach with Conductor Mario Bernardi and the CBC Vancouver Orchestra with Soloist Robert Aitken, flute.
                            A very enjoyable piece indeed.

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited February 27, 2004).]

Dear Joy,
                            My grandaughter loves this last song of Stephen Foster's.I have only the piano part but am looking for guitar chords for it .
                            I'm trying to encourage the musicians in the family to learn it,the babes mom plays the clarinet and dad plays the electric bass
                            babes uncle can play guitar and my husband ,the grandpa, has a lovely tenor voice
                            with myself on piano it ought to be irresistable for the infant.
                            Although it will be my first foray into ensemble playing.I don't think the critic will be too harsh.

And as regards CPE Bach I highly recommend to you his Cello Concerto in A minor Wq 170.
                            I'm listening to it right now.Gorgeous!

Cheers,
                            Muriel
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:

Dear Joy,
                              My grandaughter loves this last song of Stephen Foster's.I have only the piano part but am looking for guitar chords for it .
                              I'm trying to encourage the musicians in the family to learn it,the babes mom plays the clarinet and dad plays the electric bass
                              babes uncle can play guitar and my husband ,the grandpa, has a lovely tenor voice
                              with myself on piano it ought to be irresistable for the infant.
                              Although it will be my first foray into ensemble playing.I don't think the critic will be too harsh.

And as regards CPE Bach I highly recommend to you his Cello Concerto in A minor Wq 170.
                              I'm listening to it right now.Gorgeous!

Cheers,
                              Muriel
                              Is this the song that goes "Beautiful Dreamer, Wake unto me"? If so it was part of my childhood and a wonderful melody

------------------
                              Love from London
                              Love from London

Comment

Beautiful Dreamer ,wake unto me;
                                Starlight and dewdrops are waiting for thee;
                                Sounds of the rude world heard in the day,
                                lulled by the moonlight have all passed away.

Beautiful dreamer,Queen of my song,
                                list while I woo thee with soft melody;
                                Gone are the cares of lifes busy throng;
                                Beautiful dreamer awake unto me;

Beautiful dreamer awake unto me
                                beautiful dreamer,out on the sea.
                                mermaids are chanting the wild Lorelei;
                                Over the streamlet vapors are borne
                                Waiting to fade at the bright coming morn.

Beautiful dreamer,beam on my heart
                                E'en as the morn on the streamlet and sea;
                                Then will all clouds of sorrow depart;
                                Beautiful dreamer,awake unto me;
                                Beautiful dreamer,awake unto me.

all together now...
                                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                                X