• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - 3 violin and piano sonatas Op.30

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Enjoyed these 3 selections most heartedly! Especially the allegretto, very lively! The fp and violin played very well together. A clear, crisp, and precise sound.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I've only had time to listen to no.2 so far (it takes an age to download without broadband!) and I like the combined sound of fortepiano and violin - strange I've noticed before with the piano trios how I prefer this sound to when the instrument is playing solo, it could be that the weak treble is compensated by the violin. Looking forward to hearing the others over the weekend.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        I've only had time to listen to no.2 so far (it takes an age to download without broadband!) and I like the combined sound of fortepiano and violin - strange I've noticed before with the piano trios how I prefer this sound to when the instrument is playing solo, it could be that the weak treble is compensated by the violin. Looking forward to hearing the others over the weekend.

I'ver listened to all three with the same reaction. The fortepiano sounds delightful to me here, with more resonance, range and sonority than it had in the solo works the week before last. I thought it was perhaps because the work it had to do was not as difficult, particularly in the case of the presto of the Moonlight sonata. But no quibble here. These are great to hear. Perhaps together giving some idea what it would have been like to hang around Beethoven's house at this time, like a fly on the wall.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

The performances are very good, but that violin sounds weak, harsh, and inconsistent.

Comment

Have listened to all three now and am in agreement with my earlier assessment. Having also enjoyed hearing the fortepiano live in the Theater an der Wien, it strikes me as odd that the solo sonatas have so far made a bad impression - didn't Beethoven say as much!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Have listened to all three now and am in agreement with my earlier assessment. Having also enjoyed hearing the fortepiano live in the Theater an der Wien, it strikes me as odd that the solo sonatas have so far made a bad impression - didn't Beethoven say as much!

For Beethoven to be less than satisfied is one thing, for Peter to be less than satisfied is another thing altogether. Considering some of the above comments, one day certain people here will understand the art of listening, for it is, it seems, truely an art in itself.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 08, 2004).]
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                For Beethoven to be less than satisfied is one thing, for Peter to be less than satisfied is another thing altogether. Considering some of the above comments, one day certain people here will understand the art of listening, for it is, it seems, truely an art in itself.

I wasn't comparing myself to Beethoven, I think one day certain people here will understand the art of humour!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I wasn't comparing myself to Beethoven, I think one day certain people here will understand the art of humour!

Well, you said the solo sonatas so far have made a bad impression, I humbly ask you to confirm in writing this was a joke!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    The performances are very good, but that violin sounds weak, harsh, and inconsistent.
                    What about the violins in Op29?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                      I'ver listened to all three with the same reaction. The fortepiano sounds delightful to me here, with more resonance, range and sonority than it had in the solo works the week before last. I thought it was perhaps because the work it had to do was not as difficult, particularly in the case of the presto of the Moonlight sonata. But no quibble here. These are great to hear. Perhaps together giving some idea what it would have been like to hang around Beethoven's house at this time, like a fly on the wall.

The sonority or otherwise of these instruments has absolutely nothing to do with the music being performed, it is to do with the instruments themselves and the accoustic setting they are in and indeed the quality of the recording.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 09, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                        I've just listened to the mp3s for the first time, I think the violin sounds a bit 'off' compared to the actual CD, remember these are recorded at a custom resolution below the 'low' option, but the issue is more to do with Schroeders over use of vibrato than the strings if feel. In other recordings the gut strings sound very nice when the correct playing technique is used.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 13, 2004).]

Comment

Thank you so much Rod for this uplifting music. I needed something to bring a smile to my face and these pieces did the trick.

Today in Vienna the skies are overcast and winter just won't let up. They said that this weekend would be sunny and 15°C. Wrong! But this music made me forget about the ugly gray skies outside. Thank god for Beethoven's music to help one to forget their worries, if only for a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                            Thank you so much Rod for this uplifting music. I needed something to bring a smile to my face and these pieces did the trick.

Today in Vienna the skies are overcast and winter just won't let up. They said that this weekend would be sunny and 15°C. Wrong! But this music made me forget about the ugly gray skies outside. Thank god for Beethoven's music to help one to forget their worries, if only for a short time.
                            The skies in this God-forsaken city are continuously gray and ugly too. Thank Beethoven for these brief moments of joy!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X