WHAT MAKES SCHNABEL GREAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT MAKES SCHNABEL GREAT?

Is there anyone who can tell me why Artur Schnabel is considered a great performer in the Beethoven Sonatas? I mean this sincerely. I have sets of the complete sonatas by ARRAU, BRENDEL (The latest Philips) FRANK, GILELS, GOODE, KEMPFF, KOVACEVICH, KUERTI, NAT, ROBERTS, SOLOMON and SCHNABEL (The latest Pearl boxed set, which restores much of the treble missing on other labels). The other performers I find exciting, and sometimes less than exciting, depending on which sonata is being played. But when it comes to the Schnabel discs, I find the playing rather primitive and “choppy.” I have listened to this set several times and still come away with the impression that I am missing something, but what? I must not be hearing everything that’s there, or perhaps I am coming to these performances with the wrong attitude or mind set. So if anyone who likes Schnabel can give me a clue as to what to listen to in these performances by a highly esteemed and venerated artist, I would be much obliged.

Alfred
    Cocchini

Cocchini,
    I wish someone had been able to answer this question for you, as I would like to know the answer myself. Oh well!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Schnabel was of course the first to perform and record the complete cycle of Beethoven sonatas at a time when they were not generally popular. I was taught to believe Schnabel was the ultimate the only word in Beethoven but I don't believe this has to be so. His tempos are often excessively fast and there is occasional sloppy passage work, but his tone is beautiful and varied especially in the slow movements - he was also noted for his attention to accompanying passages, not just concentrating on the more obvious elements of the music. His pedalling was very subtle and his trills amazingly expressive.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Schnabel was of course the first to perform and record the complete cycle of Beethoven sonatas at a time when they were not generally popular.
        That is correct, and i think the fast tempos are a direct result of the limitations of the records of the time.

I personally never heard the cycle so i can't comment on how good it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Opus131:
          That is correct, and i think the fast tempos are a direct result of the limitations of the records of the time.

His tempi indications in his edition of the sonatas are also very fast!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X