Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern classical music, why is always derelict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:

What composers from today forget is to keep the music simple and focused on your feelings and the effectiveness of passing them to the listeners, not try to shock the listeners every time they get near your music, for that they can simply stick their fingers on the power outlet: simple and fun.

I think one of the problems that face composers today is the very idea of emotion in music vs music for it's own sake. And, to boot, no one really wants to write something that has been written before. We seek to be individual and have our own peculiar styles--some go to great lengths to achieve this, others are very subtle. Then there is the role of the performer--do you control the performer or do you give the performer extensive liberty in interpretation? Stockhausen went from one extreme to the other in this case. But with the various styles/ideas/tools that are available in these days it is difficult to make a choice of direction--there are so many variables in regards to one's self, the performer, and the listener.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
      I may have missed your point but my point is if is not pleasing to my ears, absorbed by my brain or touches my heart I am not interested at my age to play around with experimantal music nor am I inclined to try, after listening to certain composers, liking their music. To sum it up if I live to be 300 I would still not live long enough to hear all the music from the baroque,classical and romantic periods.
      If you wish to taste the "Modern" music and you enjoy it all I can say is more power to you. At 67 I know what I like and I'll stick to it without feeling I have missed anything.
      I did all my experimental listening over half century ago, and in so doing I have settled into what I consider a nice niche.

It's nice to be young but it's great to be retired
      I do appreciate your own view King Stephen .By the way are you a musician ,or just have that great love to classical music as a listner..?

Comment

Originally posted by Jin:
        [B]
        This might be a bad example, but if you look at what Radiohead has done and is doing, they started out with the traditional rock set up, then started using all sorts of other stuff. And the music they've produced isn't altogether strange, but sounds new and very interesting, at least to me.
        B]
        I never thought I'd see Radiohead mentioned on a board like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
          I do appreciate your own view King Stephen .By the way are you a musician ,or just have that great love to classical music as a listner..?
          I am a listner who's love of classical music boarders on the fanatic. I did study piano and vioin in my youth but, alas it was all in vain, I really never became good enough, in my eye's to continue.
          I want to tell all of you people who frequent this site how much I enjoy your post.
          Your love for the classics especally Beethoven shows very much in what you have to say.I know we are of a minority when it comes to the classics but we are stead-fast in our love for it. Classical music will never die as long as people like you see to it that Beethoven's and the other great composers music is spread to the people that do not have our, for the lack of another word, "Enlightment". Don't you all at one time or an other want to scream from on high, "Listen to me, here is a great gift (and what a gift it is) given to us, do not let it pass. Your reward will be a lifetime of pleasure." Well.... At least that the way I feel.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
            I am a listner who's love of classical music boarders on the fanatic. I did study piano and vioin in my youth but, alas it was all in vain, I really never became good enough, in my eye's to continue.
            I want to tell all of you people who frequent this site how much I enjoy your post.
            Your love for the classics especally Beethoven shows very much in what you have to say.I know we are of a minority when it comes to the classics but we are stead-fast in our love for it. Classical music will never die as long as people like you see to it that Beethoven's and the other great composers music is spread to the people that do not have our, for the lack of another word, "Enlightment". Don't you all at one time or an other want to scream from on high, "Listen to me, here is a great gift (and what a gift it is) given to us, do not let it pass. Your reward will be a lifetime of pleasure." Well.... At least that the way I feel.
            Steve
            And that's the way we all share in this forum Steve.... Classical music will never die as long as there're people who can feel the depth in life and feel the beauty around . A great gift indeed..!

By the way, I'd like to tell you Steve that I've never had any musical training in my childhood (alas!), so it was late when I could appreciate classical music. But what a transformation brought to my life !

I found my self 2 years ago (when I was 21) determined to learn the piano...At first I began learning by myself, then I continued with a teacher and now I'm happy to tell you that I'm going to perform the 1st movement of the moonlight on stage after 2 monthes ( in a concert my teacher had arranged for her students)...Maybe it's too late , and maybe the performing will not be as good as Alfred Brendel's! but I feel that I did it finally..!

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited February 19, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by jman:
              I never thought I'd see Radiohead mentioned on a board like this!
              Leave Jin alone! Stop being so stuffy. Radiohead is a good example of a band that makes relevant music and is also tuned into its time. All music (in any genre) should be this way. Did you know that Radiohead (yes "Radiohead") has sampled (yes "sampled")modern composers such as Paul Lansky in thier recordings? Check out "Kid-A" and "Amnesiac".

Great music, is great music....chill out.

go Jin!!

------------------
              v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited February 19, 2004).]
              v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                Leave Jin alone! Stop being so stuffy. Radiohead is a good example of a band that makes relevant music and is also tuned into its time. All music (in any genre) should be this way. Did you know that Radiohead (yes "Radiohead") has sampled (yes "sampled")modern composers such as Paul Lansky in thier recordings? Check out "Kid-A" and "Amnesiac".

Great music, is great music....chill out.

go Jin!!

I also think Radiohead is worth listening to. And also the Dave Matthews Band. And I think Beck has done some good things.

I've also become interested in African chants recently. I heard some several weeks ago on the radio, and I also heard some similar, old southern U.S.A. field chants as recorded in the late 1930s by folklorist Alan Lomax. In these chants one can hear the common ancestor of the blues, jazz and rock, and they're very beautiful in their own right, complex in harmony and rhythm. These things are hard to come by though.

I think when the next music comes it will come from Africa or South America.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 20, 2004).]
                See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Well,after this argument,it's obvious that not all of us do like modern classical music...Anyway, I 'm curious to know more about that field ,so I'll be grateful if modern classical music enthusiasts here tell me something about the names of the main schools and the outstanding composers of each,beginning with French impressionism..
                  Thank you in advance...

Comment

Well,after this argument,it's obvious that not all of us do like modern classical music...Anyway, I 'm curious to know more about that field ,so I'll be grateful if modern classical music enthusiasts here tell me something about the names of the main schools and the outstanding composers of each,beginning with French impressionism..
                    Thank you in advance...

For beginners, I think the music of Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Ives, and Bartok would be great.

Comment

Some classification please! I think Schoenberg,Webern and Berg are from the Second vinesse school composers which composed music in the atonality style...
                      What about Stravinsky, Ive and Partok?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        I also think Radiohead is worth listening to. And also the Dave Matthews Band. And I think Beck has done some good things.

I've also become interested in African chants recently. I heard some several weeks ago on the radio, and I also heard some similar, old southern U.S.A. field chants as recorded in the late 1930s by folklorist Alan Lomax. In these chants one can hear the common ancestor of the blues, jazz and rock, and they're very beautiful in their own right, complex in harmony and rhythm. These things are hard to come by though.

I think when the next music comes it will come from Africa or South America.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 20, 2004).]
                        I have some recordings of african chant music on some of my blues compilations. I do agree with you, the music is entoxicating.

I do not know what you mean when you say "...the next music"

explain further please...

------------------
                        v russo
                        v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                          I have some recordings of african chant music on some of my blues compilations. I do agree with you, the music is entoxicating.

I do not know what you mean when you say "...the next music"

explain further please...

I think if and when another musical movement, style or school comes which will
                          be important, it will come from Africa or South America.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                            I think if and when another musical movement, style or school comes which will
                            be important, it will come from Africa or South America.

Well, are you interested in the new styles and schools of classical music that arose in the 20th century? (being our subject)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

For beginners, I think the music of Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Ives, and Bartok would be great.
                              Well I'm a beginner as I have no trouble at least with Stravinsky and Bartok, though I would have added Britten, Shostakovich and Prokofiev to the list - I've tried going further beyond the 1950s but haven't had much success, so I've started going backwards which I find far more enjoyable - a dose of Hildegard Von Bingen is certainly good for the soul!

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you in advance...

I don't regard the French 'Impressionist composers' as modern by contemporary standards - anyhow Debussy was the greatest of them and had a tremendous influence on the 20th century.

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X