the triple concerto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the triple concerto

would i be wrong to say the triple concerto was the first and only time any composer ever did anything as revolutionary, dramatic and brilliant as compose 3 beautiful different concertos and then blend them into one powerful piece like the great poet in sound did with the triple concerto?
    www.tanzemakama.com

There are triple concertos by Telemann, Vivaldi and Bach, though Beethoven's is on an altogether more ambitious scale and the combination of piano trio and orchestra is unusual. Beethoven himself attempted an earlier work with this combination - there are extensive sketches for a concertante in D.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Actually the concerto was coming full circle with this work, as it started out with a small group of "soloists" playing against an orchestra, evolved into a dwindling number of instruments in the "solisti" down to 1, and now came back to 3 with Beethoven. I like to think of this as the "Trio Concerto" because it sounds to me more like one of B's excellent piano trios juxtaposed against an answering orchestra. A very nice, and sadly undervalued work.
      PS - Don't forget that the Sinfonia Concertante form was nothing more or less than a Concerto Grosso either. Mozart wrote one for 4 instruments!
      PPS - To any nitpickers out there who want to say that K297b is probably not a work of Mozart, that is probably true, but he nonetheless wrote one in Paris in 1778, and the score is lost.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

In principle I must confess, that I love this sort of sound, where one or more soloists are playing in conversation with an orchestra. This finally brought me to CM. Max Bruch gave me the first light with his Violin Concertos. So many Piano Concertos, Double Concertos, Violin C., or the Triple Concerto too. These sort of works are very impressive to me, yep! great conversations in a world of (sometimes) too much of small talk.

"When words leave off, music begins." (not new here in the forum, but true)

Comment

I am probably one of the few can say they have observed a rehearsal of this concerto featuring Dudley Moore.
          I remember at one point they rearranged some of the soloists to achieve a better balance and Dudley Moore turned to the spectators:
          "That was the first movement," he said.

Comment

Can any one tell me (or give me a website) what are the differences between:Concerto,concerto grosso,sinfonia concertant and concertantine? All I know that it's a matter of historical development,but don't know the exact meaning of each.

Comment

Amalie brought this link a while ago:
              http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/glossary.htm

I'm afraid not many of your searched terms are to find there.

Comment

Thanks Pasotorali....!

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
                  Can any one tell me (or give me a website) what are the differences between:Concerto,concerto grosso,sinfonia concertant and concertantine? All I know that it's a matter of historical development,but don't know the exact meaning of each.
                  Ahmad, you can get a lot of information in short form from the www.naxos.com web site under "Learning Zone".
                  Steve

Comment

It was useful,thanks Steve....!

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin:
                      would i be wrong to say the triple concerto was the first and only time any composer ever did anything as revolutionary, dramatic and brilliant as compose 3 beautiful different concertos and then blend them into one powerful piece like the great poet in sound did with the triple concerto?
                      Since the soloists are carrying on a dialogue with one another, with common musical materials as in any work, it doesn't seem right to me to refer to this as three different concertos.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        , it doesn't seem right to me to refer to this as three different concertos.

Well it's not really, like someone pointed out above I call this a trio concerto. Where the name 'triple' originated I don't know.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                        X