Fur Elise Variations????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fur Elise Variations????

I'm a student who is composing a dance and as my creative process continued I began to dislike the music I chose so opted to search for another. I became set on Beethoven's Fur Elise, but it's so over used. Plus all the versions I've found have been just under 5 min. and just not romantic enough. I was wondering if anyone knew of any variations out there?

Thanks,
    ~PHILIP~

Five minutes? That piece shouldn't last more than two, two and half minutes.

Sorry, I know of no variations. There are none by Beethoven, anyway - I am sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      Five minutes? That piece shouldn't last more than two, two and half minutes.

Sorry, I know of no variations. There are none by Beethoven, anyway - I am sure of that.
      I agree with your timing assessment Chris, but i have heard renditions of this piece that are double that. I've a very good recording by Ronald Brautigam that lasts I think 2 mins 11 seconds.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I used to have an excellent version on cassette, but I don't know what ever happened to that. I have two on CD, one of them on some "Beethoven's Greatest Hits" thing that somebody gave me once (it isn't very good) and the other on Brendel's "Variations and Vignettes" (which I believe you have, don't you?). That one lasts 2:44, I think, and is not very good either; I am sure you agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          ...and the other on Brendel's "Variations and Vignettes" (which I believe you have, don't you?). That one lasts 2:44, I think, and is not very good either; I am sure you agree.
          Yes I have this set and I agree this track is not one of Brendel's finest moments. Grace does not mean lethargy and the two intervening episodes in the piece require by default a quicker tempo than we usually hear.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited March 10, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by g8torguy83:
            I'm a student who is composing a dance and as my creative process continued I began to dislike the music I chose so opted to search for another. I became set on Beethoven's Fur Elise, but it's so over used. Plus all the versions I've found have been just under 5 min. and just not romantic enough. I was wondering if anyone knew of any variations out there?

Thanks,
            ~PHILIP~
            If you want Romantic you've got the wrong composer! Try Chopin or Liszt - one of his concert studies such as 'Waldesrauschen' or 'Un Sospiro' might do.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Yes I have this set and I agree this track is not one of Brendel's finest moments. Grace does not mean lethargy and the two intervening episodes in the piece require by default a quicker tempo than we usually hear.

Whoa! Can Brendel, who I believe does not play fortepiano, have a 'finest' or even a 'fine', moment? Clarify, please!
              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                Whoa! Can Brendel, who I believe does not play fortepiano, have a 'finest' or even a 'fine', moment? Clarify, please!
                I was being 'polite'.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                  Well I think his recording of the late sonatas is very fine.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have a CD of his performing the more 'well known' of Beethoven's sonatas, his 'greatest hits' you could say, The Appassionata, Pathetique, Moonlight, Tempest, etc. and I really do enjoy it I must say. Very pleasant to the ears, well, to these ears anyway.

------------------
                    'Truth and beauty joined'
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                    X