Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Concertos

Hello every1!

Just wondering this question: who is the interpreter of a piano concerto? is it the pianist (this is whom i thoght) or is it the conductor? I have doubt over my own knowledge because i have recently taken up the task of playing the Beethoven 1st piano concerto 1st movement with the school orchestra in the next school concert in a week or so's time. i thoght the interpretation was up to me, but the teacher in school who is conducting insists that i play it to his rhythm, which changes my interpretation altogether. he wants a rigid tempo through out, which i believe kills the piece. i preferr a varied tempo, by all mean not as much as i would playing aChopin concerto, but a slight slower pace going into the middle section with the arpegios, before going back to the original tempo when the main subject comes back in another key. what do you think?

Shane

In my experience it is the stronger personality and greatest reputation that wins the battle. There is no rule book.

You mention school orchestra. What school
    high school, or Julliard ? If it's the former
    the orchestra in the conductors opinion may be unable to hang together in your concept of tempo variances. If you're a student and he's faculty you just spilled the beans about who's interpretation is most valid.

Regards

Steve
    www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Shane,

Ideally, a concerto is a collaboration between soloist and conductor (and orchestra, of course). Traditionally, the conductor has more sway in orchestra dominant sections and pianist is in charge in soloistic sections. An extreme example is the cadenza, in which you are completely in control.
      A good conductor would never dictate uncomfortable tempos to a soloist.
      However, there are several factors to consider:
      First, you are student and he is, technically, your superior. You are not two professionals on equal footing.
      Second, I have played this concerto before and I think I know the section you are talking about. I don't see any reason to change the tempo at all. In fact, this whole movement should really stick to a consistent tempo throughout.

My advice: consult your teacher and other musicians you respect. Listen to a handful of recordings. If you are the only pianist taking this liberty, then maybe you should reconsider your interpretation.
      By the way, congratulations. It is a great experience to play with an orchestra under any cirmumstances. And great for your resume!

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions.

the school is a secondary school in glasgow. from all the recordings i have heard, there is a slight slow down in tempo when that section comes in. my teacher also agrees that it should have a slight difference in tempo to the 1st subject.

??

Shane

Comment

Working...
        X