Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Elvis to Ludwig !

Hello! I’m new and I‘d like writing you my little banal story:

A long time ago, I was an Elvis fan (and others pop-music), I was 16 years old. I listened to his songs every day, I was addict. Poor Crisss! And one day I said: that’s enough, I must find anything else! I run down to my record dealer and searched, but WHAT? So I took some records at random. Among, I saw a pleasant title: “Symphony Pastoral” LvBeethoven. Nice title and beautiful picture on the cover, that’s all, and B’s portrait inside: ohhh! what a strict face! I hesitated: a severe B, a VERY old music, so boring music, I thought!! WHY buy such music? But I did it and still not know why! After that, you guess what huge revelation that was for me!! Incredible! What an amazing music! I bought many many records: B, Mozart, Brahms ….The record salesman was very happy and I became ruined …
    My only regret: I met B too late; otherwise I would become a pianist, maybe…

Chistine

Originally posted by crisss:
    Hello! I’m new and I‘d like writing you my little banal story:

A long time ago, I was an Elvis fan (and others pop-music), I was 16 years old. I listened to his songs every day, I was addict. Poor Crisss! And one day I said: that’s enough, I must find anything else! I run down to my record dealer and searched, but WHAT? So I took some records at random. Among, I saw a pleasant title: “Symphony Pastoral” LvBeethoven. Nice title and beautiful picture on the cover, that’s all, and B’s portrait inside: ohhh! what a strict face! I hesitated: a severe B, a VERY old music, so boring music, I thought!! WHY buy such music? But I did it and still not know why! After that, you guess what huge revelation that was for me!! Incredible! What an amazing music! I bought many many records: B, Mozart, Brahms ….The record salesman was very happy and I became ruined …
    My only regret: I met B too late; otherwise I would become a pianist, maybe…

Chistine
    Welcome Criss,

It is never to late to be introduced to the classics, it is a life time of discovery!
    A work colleague of mine tells me that her elderly neighbour is learning the piano.
    Not that I mean you are elderly of course.

' A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited February 27, 2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Nice story - thanks for sharing your conversion with us!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
        Welcome Criss,

It is never to late to be introduced to the classics, it is a life time of discovery!
        A work colleague of mine tells me that her elderly neighbour is learning the piano.
        Not that I mean you are elderly of course.

' A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited February 27, 2004).]
        Amalie,

i totally agree. how do u know all these things! i am amazed! i have learned more used stuff from u and others on this site during the few months iv been on, than i have during 5 years almost sitting in my school' music class!

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Shane:
          Amalie,

i totally agree. how do u know all these things! i am amazed! i have learned more used stuff from u and others on this site during the few months iv been on, than i have during 5 years almost sitting in my school' music class
          Shane
          Well Thankyou Shane,
          Though I am not a musician, I just like to encourage people younger than myself.

In the presence of giants like Beethoven, admiration is in order but not servility.

'In the presence of giants you should not make yourself even smaller by getting on your knees'.

Remember, positive thinking always!

I would love to have learned how to play the piano when I had the opportunity, but that is another story.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

This is all very good, but we've had one or two members here who have been frustrated at the slow progress they've made on the piano as adult beginners. And Peter, the moderator, a piano teacher, has warned that it is a lot harder as an adult than a young child. I don't want to unduly discourage anyone, but I think they should know both sides of the story before making a decision to start...
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I do agree with you Charles that it's hard for an adult to begin with a complex musical instument such as the pinao. Anyway,it's not impossible..!

I'm 23 now , I've been playing the piano since 2 years only... I'm very glad now that I can play some classical easy pieces .Ofcourse I'm not as good as Alfred Brendel playing the moonlight adagio!

I'm curious to know about Spaceray progress on the piano...Can you hear us Spaceray?!

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited February 27, 2004).]

Comment

How old is considered too old?

I have only been playing several months and my Dad says that I am progressing much quicker than he was as a child. ...And I am not practicing 8 hours a day or anything. About 2 hours a day, consistently.

Also, what is supposedly more difficult as an adult? Technique, keeping time, sightreading?? What is it?

I started near the end of my 18th year.
                Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
                That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
                And then is heard no more. It is a tale
                Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
                Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Yes, it is one and a half years and about $1300.00 CDN later, plus a beater upright, $500 and about $300 for the excellent piano tuner who is very challenged when confronted by this poor old musical instrument(Mason and Risch of Toronto) and I have progressed like molasses in January.

My reading isn't too bad in the treble clef ,
                  much slower in the bass clef and heaven forbid the music should run off into ledger lines.I play the easiest pieces I can find .
                  I am at a grade two Royal Conservatory of Music level ,my piano teacher retired recently and I have not bothered to get a new teacher.

I read recently that the failure rate for adults taking piano is about 95% ,very disheartening.I have a brilliant mentor who goes to great effort to try to encourage me .
                  And because of this I have kept practising .
                  I play piano dreadfully badly but no one is here to hear it thank goodness.

Oh and also,piano playing hurts,my hands, my
                  arms my back and neck all protest after about 15 or 20 min. of practise,I am an old woman after all!

I would say the most difficult thing to learn about music is the intervals,but once you learn them things fall into place.If I do not practise I will lose it all in a very short time ,my hands are very small and I can just barely span an octave and some chords are just impossible to play.

Is it ever to late to learn?
                  yes!emphatically yes!
                  Teach your children music as early as they learn language and if they have talent so much the better for them.

Muriel

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Space,
                    It must be wonderful to have a mentor anyway!
                    As someone who has played musical instruments (badly) since chilhood, I would say that it is a combination of all of the above listed barriers that rear up with adults. And also, it is as with anything else, learning, in and of itself, comes more easily to youngsters. Those of you out there who are in your teens and think learning is hard, wait until you attain 50+ and try to pick up something entirely new. It is only by dint of the greatest mental effort that one succeeds. Which is not to say it can't be done. Anything is possible, some things are simply more difficult. As with my decision to abruptly end 35 years of cigar smoking, success only comes to those who desire it badly enough. Just get after it and do it. Failure is the easiest thing, success the hardest. But harder is more satisfying.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

I have only been playing several months and my Dad says that I am progressing much quicker than he was as a child. ...And I am not practicing 8 hours a day or anything. About 2 hours a day, consistently.

Also, what is supposedly more difficult as an adult? Technique, keeping time, sightreading?? What is it?

I think you are practising too much! I welcome your enthusiasm but 20-30 mins every day is quite enough for a beginner - the important fact is to know the difference between playing and practising (which involves repetition and intense concentration, listening to the sounds you make).

Technique is probably the most difficult thing for an adult beginner to cope with as so many bad muscular habits have already been learnt - young children arrive with a clean slate (so to speak) and at an early age the brain is able to absorb new things quicker and more effectively. However at 18 and with dedication you should achieve results - a good teacher, CORRECT practice and patience are the formula for success.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Criss, welcome to the forum!

A question - did your love of Ludwig begin straight away, or did the music take some time to grow on you?

I find the pieces of CM I love the most have grown on me. I can never really get deeply into a piece of music when I hear it for the first time - I have to re-listen to it a few times.
                        "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                          Yes, it is one and a half years and about $1300.00 CDN later, plus a beater upright, $500 and about $300 for the excellent piano tuner who is very challenged when confronted by this poor old musical instrument(Mason and Risch of Toronto) and I have progressed like molasses in January.

My reading isn't too bad in the treble clef ,
                          much slower in the bass clef and heaven forbid the music should run off into ledger lines.I play the easiest pieces I can find .
                          I am at a grade two Royal Conservatory of Music level ,my piano teacher retired recently and I have not bothered to get a new teacher.

I read recently that the failure rate for adults taking piano is about 95% ,very disheartening.I have a brilliant mentor who goes to great effort to try to encourage me .
                          And because of this I have kept practising .
                          I play piano dreadfully badly but no one is here to hear it thank goodness.

Oh and also,piano playing hurts,my hands, my
                          arms my back and neck all protest after about 15 or 20 min. of practise,I am an old woman after all!

I would say the most difficult thing to learn about music is the intervals,but once you learn them things fall into place.If I do not practise I will lose it all in a very short time ,my hands are very small and I can just barely span an octave and some chords are just impossible to play.

Is it ever to late to learn?
                          yes!emphatically yes!
                          Teach your children music as early as they learn language and if they have talent so much the better for them.

Muriel

Muriel, I couldn't have said it better myself. I can relate to you especially in the practising department! If I don't practise consistently I, too, lose it! These days I can't find the time to practise so deligently. I started learning piano in my teens but without a professional teacher so my advise to anyone and everyone would be start young, get a professional teacher right from the beginning and get into a routine of dedication to stick to your practising habits on a regular basis! My hats off to everyone here on the forum and elsewhere who play professionally. I truly respect them, because it isn't easy!

------------------
                          'Truth and beauty joined'
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
                            Criss, welcome to the forum!

A question - did your love of Ludwig begin straight away, or did the music take some time to grow on you?

I find the pieces of CM I love the most have grown on me. I can never really get deeply into a piece of music when I hear it for the first time - I have to re-listen to it a few times.

Hello Steppenwolf, ( and everybody!)

When I heard “Symphony pastoral” that was the FIRST time I really met classical music! And I loved this symphony immediately; after, I chose “Arkduk trio”: another shock for me! And I went on with quartets, and with violin/ piano sonatas; each time I was deeply moved. I stopped, in those days, when I had no more money !
                            So, I deduce I’m specifically sensitive with B music, and I don’t change!
                            But, I must say you are right too on the second point. With most of the composers, I have to re-listen, like you, their works ( I did that with “grosse fugue”, very difficult for me )
                            In conclusion, I thank B for his music. He reveals to me all classical music, great ( and “little”) others composers. And now, I try to pass this passion on my chidren.
                            criss

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

I started playing the piano three years ago. I am eighteen now, and I am going to major in music when I go to college this fall. I'm not a very advanced pianist, so I have to practice a great deal. Since I have been playing for a relatively short period of time, I expect I will have to continue to work very hard in college. I don't mind, though. What pieces are you working on?

Comment

Working...
                              X