Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Schubert Sonatas: Disappointing so far...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Schubert Sonatas: Disappointing so far...

I have only givent them each one listen, but so far the melodies arent gripping enough for me. In most Beethoven/Mozart sonatas there are always a few, clear distinctive, and often great melodies. In the schubert it all seems to meander, almost aimlessly.

I have the C minor, Bb Major and A major.
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
    I have only givent them each one listen, but so far the melodies arent gripping enough for me. In most Beethoven/Mozart sonatas there are always a few, clear distinctive, and often great melodies. In the schubert it all seems to meander, almost aimlessly.

I have the C minor, Bb Major and A major.
    Well I have used the words 'confused' and 'patchwork quilt' in this regard myself.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Just give them sometime.

Whilst most of Schubert early material is quite derivative, those (late) sonatas were written in a distinctive style of his own, you just need sometime to get accastumed to it.

I agree his music is by and large not as virtuosistic (from a compositional point of view) as Beethoven (who had a broader vision in his musical conception, Schubert understanding of the musical idom was limited to pathos), but you don't need to be a Beethoven to write good music.

Schubert was a little more of a dreamer then Beethoven, and you can discern this inherent juvenille quality in much of his output.

Beethoven's juvenillia ended before he was a teen...

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Well I have used the words 'confused' and 'patchwork quilt' in this regard myself.
        His music can be a confused mess, but i still like him reguardless...

Comment

My favorite composition by Schubert has to be his 8th symphony (so far). Because in that he harnesses his haphazardness to express chaos/confusion so well.
          Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
          That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
          And then is heard no more. It is a tale
          Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
          Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Working...
          X