Happy Birthday Czerny!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Czerny!

Today is the birth in Vienna of Carl Czerny,(1791-1857) Austrian pianist, teacher, composer, and pupil of Beethoven. His father,
    Wenze Czerny, was a master of the keyboard and many musicians gathered in his house one of them being Beethoven. Beethoven gave him two lessons weekly based on Bach's Versuch uber die wahre Art das Klavier zu spielen. Recommended by Beethoven, Czerny became one of the most popular piano teachers in Vienna with famous pupils such as Queen Victoria, Liszt, and Dohler. He was once the teacher of Beethoven's nephew Karl. He left in his estate two original manuscripts of Beethoven, the Violin Concerto and the score of the Overture Opus 115 which he willed to the Imperial Library. He was also one of the torch bearers at Beethovens funeral.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

For more on this delightful man -
    www.carolinaclassical.com/czerny/

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited February 20, 2004).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I wonder if anyone put some flowers on his grave in our Zentralfriedhof here in Vienna today? To bad I had to work today. I would have done it and then gone over to Beethoven's grave for a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Today is the birth in Vienna of Carl Czerny,(1791-1857) Austrian pianist, teacher, composer, and pupil of Beethoven. His father,
        Wenze Czerny, was a master of the keyboard and many musicians gathered in his house one of them being Beethoven. Beethoven gave him two lessons weekly based on Bach's Versuch uber die wahre Art das Klavier zu spielen. Recommended by Beethoven, Czerny became one of the most popular piano teachers in Vienna with famous pupils such as Queen Victoria, Liszt, and Dohler. He was once the teacher of Beethoven's nephew Karl. He left in his estate two original manuscripts of Beethoven, the Violin Concerto and the score of the Overture Opus 115 which he willed to the Imperial Library. He was also one of the torch bearers at Beethovens funeral.

What a very curious coincidence! I just picked up (on the 20th) two very old music books--the School of Velocity (Vol. 1 and a complete edition). They are published by Wood and Evans (both from Boston) and appear to be between 50 to 100 years old. Anyone ever hear of either Wood or Evans?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
          What a very curious coincidence! I just picked up (on the 20th) two very old music books--the School of Velocity (Vol. 1 and a complete edition). They are published by Wood and Evans (both from Boston) and appear to be between 50 to 100 years old. Anyone ever hear of either Wood or Evans?
          I haven't heard of them but as a person whose interested in antiques I would say your old music books were quite a find! I have a music school book dated 1851 and a hymn book dated 1866, which I found on one of my many antique hunting weekends, hidden behind lots of other more modern books. Each was only $5.00 if you can believe it!

------------------

Comment

Working...
          X