Classical Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Quiz

In which work by Beethoven do three fourths of the ensemble repeat the same measure 47
    times in succession?

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

I'll take Beethoven trivia for 200, Alex.

The answer is: the scherzo movement from the quartet opus 135, one of the strangest pieces ever written.

This, along with the G major sonata op. 10 falls into the category of Beethoven's joke music in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
      I'll take Beethoven trivia for 200, Alex.

The answer is: the scherzo movement from the quartet opus 135, one of the strangest pieces ever written.

This, along with the G major sonata op. 10 falls into the category of Beethoven's joke music in my opinion.
      Well done Urtextmeister! Thanks.

Comment

I've got one. Which of Beethoven's Symphonies is the least played and who commissioned it from Beethoven. (Kind of an easy one).

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          I've got one. Which of Beethoven's Symphonies is the least played and who commissioned it from Beethoven. (Kind of an easy one).

Could it be the 4th symphony?
          Oppersdorff paid Beethoven 500 florins for, I think, six months exclusive use.
          I'll be interested to find out more info about this one Joy. Thanks.
          I must confess, I have not listened to this one for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Could it be the 4th symphony?
            Oppersdorff paid Beethoven 500 florins for, I think, six months exclusive use.
            I'll be interested to find out more info about this one Joy. Thanks.
            I must confess, I have not listened to this one for a while.

Amalie, you got it! If you're interested in reading more about the 4th concerto there is a good book out called, "Beethoven's Concertos" by Leon Plantinga. He discusses the history, style, and performance of each concerto. Explaining how in the "Piano Concerto No. 4, Beethoven breaks with tradition by beginning with an understated piano solo rather than a substantial orchestral introduction". A good read!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Amalie, you got it! If you're interested in reading more about the 4th concerto there is a good book out called, "Beethoven's Concertos" by Leon Plantinga. He discusses the history, style, and performance of each concerto. Explaining how in the "Piano Concerto No. 4, Beethoven breaks with tradition by beginning with an understated piano solo rather than a substantial orchestral introduction". A good read!

Sorry Joy, I have just noticed your reply.
              With so much going on at the moment I lost the plot.
              I have taken note of your very interesting book recommendation on Beethoven's concertos by Leon Plantinga.
              Though we were querying information on the 4th 'symphony' that Opperdorff commissioned from Beethoven.

Comment

Sorry Joy, I have just noticed your reply.
                With so much going on at the moment I lost the plot.
                I have taken note of your very interesting book recommendation on Beethoven's concertos by Leon Plantinga.
                Though we were querying information on the 4th 'symphony' that Opperdorff commissioned from Beethoven.
                Sorry Amalie, you're right about the 4th symphony, I misread it! Anyway hope you enjoy the book!

------------------

Comment

(I think this is an easy one... )
                  Which one of Beethoven's sonatas has both a Scherzo AND a Minuetto?
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

What was the longest introduction that Beethoven ever wrote?

Comment

What was the longest introduction that Beethoven ever wrote?
                      Amalie
                      I vote for the first mvmnt of the 7th symphony.

Comment

Be careful to make critique about the master's music! Some did it - and most of them repented it after. I know from three works (are there maybe more?), Beethoven changed his meaning afterwards and also the composition.

Which works are these?

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited February 05, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                          (I think this is an easy one... )
                          Which one of Beethoven's sonatas has both a Scherzo AND a Minuetto?
                          No one answered ..., well, it's the Op16 N.3 sonata.
                          "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            Be careful to make critique about the master's music! Some did it - and most of them repented it after. I know from three works (are there maybe more?), Beethoven changed his meaning afterwards and also the composition.

Which works are these?

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited February 05, 2004).]
                            Pastorali, was one of these Fidelio which he reworked many times?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                              No one answered ..., well, it's the Op16 N.3 sonata.
                              Thanks for telling us the answer! I tried to look this up but couldn't find the answer!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X