Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - piano sonatas Op.27

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

Peter, a correction to your page - my text states only the Presto from No2 is played by Bilson, the other 3 are by Badura skoda.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Peter, a correction to your page - my text states only the Presto from No2 is played by Bilson, the other 3 are by Badura skoda.

Ok - This was down to experimenting with my new html editor - you threw me in the deep end with 4 this time! Hopefully everything else looks and works ok?

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited February 09, 2004).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Oh, four pieces, thanks a lot!!!

A question: How is about burning on a cd? I got now 12 files, makes about 1 hour of music and 42 MB space.

What is the limit if burning a cd? When reached max. 70 minutes of music, or can one use the whole space of a cd, which is about 700MB?

I like to listen to it with a clear sound, unfortunately my Mac sounds sick. thanks & regards

Comment

Ok - This was down to experimenting with my new html editor - you threw me in the deep end with 4 this time! Hopefully everything else looks and works ok?

Seems to be ok now. That the links work is the most important thing! I think people would have noticed that the Presto sounds different from the others in any case, it is a different piano in a different (poorer) accoustic. I'm not sure the Allegro molto e vivace is quite performed by Badura-Skoda in this manner, though he attacks when it is really needed. Of course these tracks are demonstrations of the instruments themselves as much as Beethoven's music. Hope op27 gets more interest here than op26 did!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
            What is the limit if burning a cd? When reached max. 70 minutes of music, or can one use the whole space of a cd, which is about 700MB?
            Your limit is the space. The 70 minutes thing is a consequence of that. If the sample rates of your source are less than the standard for audio CDs, you will be able to fit more than 70 minutes worth of music on there.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited February 10, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              Your limit is the space. The 70 minutes thing is a consequence of that. If the sample rates of your source is less than the standard for audio CDs, you will be able to fit more than 70 minutes worth of music on there.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited February 10, 2004).]
              Thanks Chris!

Comment

Thanks Chris!

I hope this is an end to the CD burning advice centre! I will look forward to reading your assessment of the music.

------------------

Comment

Well, I have first touch with 27/1 and I can't compare it to other performances. But again a wonderful Sonata, a great surprise to me.

I like the moonshine's adagio very much on this recording! Much slower as known by me, gently and mysterioes, very sensitively. Almost like gliding on the lake lucerne at a warm summer night...

Again a great choice, thanks Rod!

Comment

Well, I have first touch with 27/1 and I can't compare it to other performances. But again a wonderful Sonata, a great surprise to me.

I like the moonshine's adagio very much on this recording! Much slower as known by me, gently and mysterioes, very sensitively. Almost like gliding on the lake lucerne at a warm summer night...

Again a great choice, thanks Rod!
                    Yes the very fine Op.27/1 is sadly neglected in favour of no.2 - both these sonatas have the unusual title 'sonata quasi una fantasia' - this allowed Beethoven complete freedom of form with the first movement (usually the most important part of a sonata) and to shift the emphasis to the finale. No.1 has no break between its movements. I particularly like the finale - a lively rondo, not part of this selection!

Regarding the recording, my one criticism is the famous Adagio from no.2 - maybe it's the speakers, but to my ear it reveals the main weakness of the FP - sustaining a slow legato melody in the treble (which sounds weak and tinny). The bass by contrast has a wonderful sonorous tone.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

"They are incessantly talking about the C-sharp minor sonata (Op.27, No. 2); on my word I have written better ones. The F-sharp major sonata (Op. 78) is a different thing!"
                      - Beethoven's remark to Czerny.

Despite what Beethoven said, this sonata, along with the sonata in F minor, Op. 57, is one of my favorites. The Adagio sostenuto is so hauntingly beautiful and sad at the same time. Then the Presto agitato is so lively and powerful. What's really funny about this Presto movement is that the first time I ever heard it was when Schroeder played it in one of the Charlie Brown films.

Comment

Regarding the recording, my one criticism is the famous Adagio from no.2 - maybe it's the speakers, but to my ear it reveals the main weakness of the FP - sustaining a slow legato melody in the treble (which sounds weak and tinny). The bass by contrast has a wonderful sonorous tone.

The original concept of the music, considering it was designed for the fortepiano, must logially not have required such a reliance on the treble dominating the melody. Thus perhaps there should be more emphasis on the chordal mass, so to speak, of the music. I have a number of fp recordings of the no2 and typically they perform it with dampers raised and the moderater in use throughout. The moderator severely restricts the treble in particular and I would like to hear it without the moderator to guage the effect. I can't recall what Badura-Skoda does here, I'll give it a listen tonight.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited February 11, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          The original concept of the music, considering it was designed for the fortepiano, must logially not have required such a reliance on the treble dominating the melody. Thus perhaps there should be more emphasis on the chordal mass, so to speak, of the music. I have a number of fp recordings of the no2 and typically they perform it with dampers raised and the moderater in use throughout. The moderator severely restricts the treble in particular and I would like to hear it without the moderator to guage the effect. I can't recall what Badura-Skoda does here, I'll give it a listen tonight.

The original concept of the music is down in black and white - long dotted minims in the treble which sustain over the accompanying triplets. The treble is the melody. Beethoven would have written this as crotchets followed by rests, had he wished the underlying parts to dominate. At the tone level of pianissimo it is hard enough on a modern piano to sustain these long notes effectively, and it may explain Beethoven's original indications of pedal held down for the whole movement, which is simply ludicrous on a modern instrument.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The moonlight sonata was the first Piano work that attracted me toward Beethoven's music..Although they have become cliches,the moonlight adagio and the 5th symphony will always be among my classical music favourites..

For good luck ,Nowadays I'm learning the moonlight adagio on the piano, so I 'll be grateful if pianists here give me some advices about playing it....

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited February 11, 2004).]

Comment

The original concept of the music is down in black and white - long dotted minims in the treble which sustain over the accompanying triplets. The treble is the melody. Beethoven would have written this as crotchets followed by rests, had he wished the underlying parts to dominate. At the tone level of pianissimo it is hard enough on a modern piano to sustain these long notes effectively, and it may explain Beethoven's original indications of pedal held down for the whole movement, which is simply ludicrous on a modern instrument.

That such a notation sounds ludicrous on a modern instrument supports my earlier comment that the music is scored bearing the fortepianos qualities in mind. One must also consider the tempo chosen in relation to the length of the sustained notes - I've heard much quicker renditions on this movement than the current mp3, both on modern and Classical pianos. Of course on the other hand we could perhaps ask Mr Badura-Skoda to hit the treble keys a little harder!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited February 11, 2004).]

Comment

Working...
                              X