Music - no intrinsic value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music - no intrinsic value?

I wonder how many people who are responsible for decisions about the subjects taught in schools - those who almost subconsciously feel that music has no intrinsic value - would feel if the musical profession died out?

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Originally posted by Amalie:

I wonder how many people who are responsible for decisions about the subjects taught in schools - those who almost subconsciously feel that music has no intrinsic value - would feel if the musical profession died out?

perish the thought!

------------------
    v russo
    v russo

Comment

hav to say that music in school has a lot to be desired, being a 5th year student myself. our school's music department is about as good as nine 5foot sq boxes with a wooden case with keyboard in 8 of them. The rooms arnt even sound proof, and u hardly ever get a free room to practice with a half decent piano. and also the sqa which is the exam in scotland knows as much about music as a 5 year old primary kid! The exams they set r 1) performing too easy
      2) listening pointless
      3) composing is composulsary which takes up 25% of the test
      4) many other requirements which r totally unnecessary.

no wonder scotland hardly ever produces well known musicians. i certaining cannot think of 1 off hand. they all come from russia, germany, france and others. y? maybe it is because they dont have stupid pointless exams which takes up too much of ur practice time and which is of no help to ur musical career what so ever? thats my opinion anyway.

Shane

Comment

As a person that teaches History and Appreciation of classical music in the schools in the town that I live in, on a voluntary basis,let me say this:
        1- There is no money for the arts.
        2- No school has ever refused my services
        3- Every teacher that I encounter has nothing but praise for the music program.
        I personally think it is up to us, the classical music lovers , to see to it that programs like this are brought to our schools. Don't wait for the towns or the schools to act, they don't have the resources. All it takes is a couple of hours a week of volunteer work to bring, what has been in my case, a very successful project.
        The schools PTO's supply the funds I need for materials. The payback is watching the students, grades 2 thru 5, interact to the stories and music of the composers. Of course Beethoven is at the very top of the list with the students. We have a Beethoven Competition for the 5th graders that is a big favorite. Anyone with the time to spare try it you love it. I guess when it comes to picking the subjects taught in school, Math, reading and writing come first, but there is a place for music, Classical music.

Comment

Musically inclined parents will have to take the initiative ,schools won't be providing for the arts.Seems like a lot of really great musicians had mom or dad or both to help them to get started.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
          X