The Diabelli Variations....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    Aaaaahrrg – just my problem! Not just that I'd like to have much more versions of the 9th... it's a basicly problem, that my dreams are much bigger then my moneybag...

but the little I can buy, makes me extremly happy

Ain't that the truth! ANd every time that I feel myself to be in a good position concerning my wants and needs musically, then here comes another CD/book I can't live without! The human condition. Good news though, I see Amazon has that book on sale right now for $12 off, which means that it will be out on paperback soon, I suppose. Life continually improves if only we give it the opportunity

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Tegan
      Well, it is not probably the first one, but the best one, written in the 1800's and revised in the early 1960's in "Thayer's Life of Beethoven" edited by Elliot Forbes. Perhaps knowing the title will allow you wo ask for it specifically with more success. Certainly worth your while. No library here, I have to buy or go without. So it goes.
      PS - I had 4 sisters, it's not all that it's cracked up to be, Of course, the 2 brothers were no help either!

I'll look for Thayer's Life of Beethoven. I finally found a copy of the first biography, written by Johann Aloys Schlosser. It is not supposed to be incredibly accurate, though. Why don't you have a library nearby? We have a very small one, so basically everything has to be specially requested...or, to be exact, everything I want to read must be specially requested.

[This message has been edited by Tegan (edited February 03, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
        [b] I'll look for Thayer's Life of Beethoven. I finally found a copy of the first biography, written by Johann Aloys Schlosser. It is not supposed to be incredibly accurate, though. Why don't you have a library nearby? We have a very small one, so basically everything has to be specially requested...or, to be exact, everything I want to read must be specially requested.

[This message has been edited by Tegan (edited February 03, 2004).]
        Tegan,
        Ah yes, I have never read that but have seen it referenced. As a historical document it may not have the bottom line facts, but surely it will be interesting.
        No library because I live in a very remote part of the country, I come a long way every morning into the nearest city to work, but close to home where I could make use of a library, none is available. Of course, by now, I have made a pretty good one for myself!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Life continually improves if only we give it the opportunity

[/B]
          Go one this way Gurn and I must quote you in the concerned topic!

I visited a cd store today, I have seen something a rochade of naxos cd's has happened there. Many "new" ones! Actually nothing of B., but many of Mozart's Piano Concertos...I think, I must find a reason to get there again...but well prepared!

Comment

Go one this way Gurn and I must quote you in the concerned topic!

I visited a cd store today, I have seen something a rochade of naxos cd's has happened there. Many "new" ones! Actually nothing of B., but many of Mozart's Piano Concertos...I think, I must find a reason to get there again...but well prepared!

Pastorali,
            Whoever wrote that is a very wise man!
            I personally have at least 200 Naxos CD's, I think that they are one of the best investments out there when you are trying to build up a collection. Of those you mention, I have th ecomplete Mozart Piano Concertos by Jando, and they compare favoerably with many others that I have or have heard. THey actually have just a bunch of B, I'm sorry that store isn't stocking them right now, but there are even some rarities such as Op 63, and the clarinet version of Op 38 which I have seen nowhere else. But of all the Naxos disks I have bought, not all are outstanding, but none are disappointing, which is the next best thing!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              Pastorali,
              Whoever wrote that is a very wise man!
              I personally have at least 200 Naxos CD's, I think that they are one of the best investments out there when you are trying to build up a collection. Of those you mention, I have th ecomplete Mozart Piano Concertos by Jando, and they compare favoerably with many others that I have or have heard. THey actually have just a bunch of B, I'm sorry that store isn't stocking them right now, but there are even some rarities such as Op 63, and the clarinet version of Op 38 which I have seen nowhere else. But of all the Naxos disks I have bought, not all are outstanding, but none are disappointing, which is the next best thing!

Yep, I totally agree with you, concerning naxos. I just came back from the store, because I've found a reason to go there...
              It's a pity I can't make any orders there, I just can take what's offered. But how you said, always worthy every coin!

Firstly it is coming otherwise and secondly how one thought, went out with:
              Mozart Piano Concertos 11+22, 13+20
              Schubert: Winterreise
              Chopin: Sonata No.2 (both EMI, for the same price as naxos) ahh...this is the funeral march...I knew the melody, but didn't know it's Chopin...

A lot to do now! regards

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited February 04, 2004).]

Comment

Pastorali,
                Sounds like you made a good haul. Let me know how you like those concertos. EMI for the price of Naxos? Why don't I ever find a deal like that??

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pastorali,
                  Sounds like you made a good haul. Let me know how you like those concertos. EMI for the price of Naxos? Why don't I ever find a deal like that??

They have re-released the EMI recordings by Norrington and the London Classical Players of the Symphonies on the Virgin label for £15 here in UK, much less than you would have to pay for the Naxos inferior disks of the same music. Hogwood's/AAM set costs £21. Warner has its own budget label 'Apex' at the same price as Naxos (£4.99). It may pay to look around these days.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Pastorali,

A good haul yes, but a limited! How many CD's of M. Concertos are there totally of this serie? I have seen 11 pieces. Are there still more? Just, if I find a further reason to go there...

Comment

A good haul yes, but a limited! How many CD's of M. Concertos are there totally of this serie? I have seen 11 pieces. Are there still more? Just, if I find a further reason to go there...

Pastorali,
                      Yes, 11 in that set, which will then give you all but the 3 pastiche concertos K 107. I found those on a Sony with Perahia playing, but unless you are a passionate collector you are OK without them anyway. Note that the K466 (#20) in d minor uses the cadenzas of B!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pastorali,
                        Yes, 11 in that set, which will then give you all but the 3 pastiche concertos K 107. I found those on a Sony with Perahia playing, but unless you are a passionate collector you are OK without them anyway. Note that the K466 (#20) in d minor uses the cadenzas of B!

I shall complete it!
                        at least to avoid the next patch work. I've seen the cadenzas of B. – a nice detail! I watched Perahia, a short while ago performing P.C. #22. A great concert indeed. He also played one of Bach's Violin Concertos in a piano version. I like such transcriptions and he played very well.

It was amazing to watch Perahia while playing piano AND conducting the orchestra. He was quite busy!

Gurn, I hope, a passionated Beethovian may ask you this: What means the K, filing Mozart's works

Comment

Köchel-Verzeichnis! (ashamed)

Comment

Köchel-Verzeichnis! (ashamed)
                            Pastorali,
                            No need to be. Unless one studies Mozart there is no need to know this after all. And only then if you care to get really confused, such as by works that have 3 different KV #'s!! In mental shorthand, I substitute the word "Opus" for "KV" when I read it and it comes out the same after all. Have an excellent day!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pastorali,
                              No need to be. Unless one studies Mozart there is no need to know this after all. And only then if you care to get really confused, such as by works that have 3 different KV #'s!! In mental shorthand, I substitute the word "Opus" for "KV" when I read it and it comes out the same after all. Have an excellent day!

Gurn,
                              I'm very confused by the numbers in Mozart,
                              I'm trying to find a recording of 6 Variations for piano and violin and it is proving impossible.There are two sets of 6(K 737 a&b) just to add to the confusion.I have pawed through mountians of cd's to try to find these.Is it hopeless?

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                                Gurn,
                                I'm very confused by the numbers in Mozart,
                                I'm trying to find a recording of 6 Variations for piano and violin and it is proving impossible.There are two sets of 6(K 737 a&b) just to add to the confusion.I have pawed through mountians of cd's to try to find these.Is it hopeless?
                                Space,
                                Well, nothing is entirely hopeless, just some things are more difficult than others. It's kinda like looking for something that has a Hess number, a Grove number and a WoO, just have to attack it from wherever they leave an opening for you. In the case of the Mozart, usually if there is a K1 number (there isn't always one, but often is), then even if it has been changed to a K6 the CD people will leave it alone, so with your variations I would look for K 359 and 360 since those are the original numbers even if they are not accepted today, they are still used. To stop the confusion. Really. And see how well it has worked so far?

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment