• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female Composers

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)

Gregorianic Singings

From the "What are you listning to right now" page I quoted this phrase by Pastorali ...

Several weeks ago ,I was reading about Medieval period music,and I came along with the composer Hildegard von Bingen which was an outstanding name in this era..Several features was to make her an outstanding name ,as she was the first to preserve her own works .

But it's being a woman which attracted me, as it's something uncommon in the field of music composing..

Jumping to the 19th centuray Clara Schuman is another example .Although she was better known as a performer,she composed some musical works also..

Have you encountered another names of female composers in your listning or reading tours.I'm curious to know more about those names and their works. rgarding Clara Schuman I haven't heared any music by her yet,although I'm longing to.

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited February 04, 2004).]

Felix Mendelssohn's sister, Fanny Mendelssohn, was a very competent composer. I have heard some of her pieces on the radio, and I enjoyed them greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
      Felix Mendelssohn's sister, Fanny Mendelssohn, was a very competent composer. I have heard some of her pieces on the radio, and I enjoyed them greatly.

Felix discouraged her from composing, as he said it was not a fit occupation for a woman. Eventually she stopped. Who knows how many great women composers may have been discouraged that way and prevented from fulfilling their talents?

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

This link shows a compilation of 26 CD's by women composers:
        http://www.bayermusicgroup.de/en/kat14.htm

Recently I have seen on tv (or better said I wasted, cause I saw just the last few seconds) a report about a 'women composer's museum'. I will search on for this on the web.

Comment

Just this morning I heard the 'Overture' by
          Fanny Mendelssohn Conducted by JoAnn Falletta Orchestra The Women's Philharmonic.
          Very nice but pieces of it reminded me of Felix's Overture to Midsummer Night's Dream.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I have, and just finished listening to in honor of this thread, the 3 Romances for Violin & Piano Op 20 of Clara Schumann. Very nice music indeed. I have seen a Vox Box that is called something like "Women Composers", I shall look it up and send a link tomorrow in there is any interest.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Here is that link, as promised. Of the ladies on here, I am familiar with Schumann, of course, and also Beach, who is a pretty darn good composer.
              http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...&album_id=3718

If anyone decides to try this out, let us know how it goes.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Gurn..!

Comment

6200 women composers

Originally posted by Ahmad View Post
                  Have you encountered another names of female composers in your listning or reading tours.I'm curious to know more about those names and their works. rgarding Clara Schuman I haven't heared any music by her yet,although I'm longing to.
                  I recently came across Aaron Cohen. International encyclopaedia of women Composers. Books & Music (USA) Inc. 1987.
                  Two mighty tomes, with 6200 women composers (and their works), of which more than 4000 from the 20th century.

Comment

Working...
                  X