Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amalie:
    Peter,
    I have the 3 Volumes of: The Letters to Beethoven, by Theodore Albrecht, as you have mentioned. And was wondering whether you have been experiencing some difficulty in obtaining them, as you mentioned you have yet to possess these volumes.
    Perhaps I can do a search for you?.
    Thanks Amalie, I know they are available but quite pricey - I was looking around for 2nd hand copies if you know of any? What do you think of them anyway?

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited January 30, 2004).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Thanks Amalie, I know they are available but quite pricey - I was looking around for 2nd hand copies if you know of any? What do you think of them anyway?

Peter,
      The good news is, I have located a second hand copy of the 3rd volume, of Letters to Beethoven, by Theodore Albrecht. First edition pristine condition. for £15.00.
      With a charge of £4.50 for postage and packaging.
      The agents are in the UK, Wareham, Dorset.
      They will do a search for volumes 1 & 2 if you are interested?.
      I can give you the address and contact no.

All for now
      Amalie

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited February 01, 2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I just purchased a copy of Lewis Lockwood's "Beethoven The Music & the Life". I'm on chapter 2, it's well written and very informative on the socio-political climate inwhich Beethoven lived. Lockwood further illuminates alot of the stories (when he met Mozart, and other anecdotes) that I've come accross in other biographies. Quite enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob:
          I just purchased a copy of Lewis Lockwood's "Beethoven The Music & the Life". I'm on chapter 2, it's well written and very informative on the socio-political climate inwhich Beethoven lived. Lockwood further illuminates alot of the stories (when he met Mozart, and other anecdotes) that I've come accross in other biographies. Quite enjoyable.
          What does he have to say on the 'Mozart meeting'?

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Peter,
            The good news is, I have located a second hand copy of the 3rd volume, of Letters to Beethoven, by Theodore Albrecht. First edition pristine condition. for £15.00.
            With a charge of £4.50 for postage and packaging.
            The agents are in the UK, Wareham, Dorset.
            They will do a search for volumes 1 & 2 if you are interested?.
            I can give you the address and contact no.

All for now
            Amalie

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited February 01, 2004).]
            Yes I'd be grateful if you could send the contact details - thanks Amalie.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              What does he have to say on the 'Mozart meeting'?

The only thing I've found on the Mozart meeting in this book in Chapter two Composing and Sketching and I quote, "The very idea of a second Bonn period owes essentially to Beethoven's quest for a meeting with Mozart in Vienna in 1787, and those compositions that we can date with confidence show him seeking new challenges in wider spheres." That's the only referral I can find to this so called meeting unless further on in the book he refers to it again. He mostly talks about how Beethoven's music was influenced by Mozart (and gives several examples) in the beginning and that "Mozart had remained a steady anchor for Beethoven over the next ten years (1780's-1790's) as he moved into his first artistic maturity."

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
              X