No announcement yet.

Classical music's graying and shrinking audience - a new answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granted, I've only scanned a few of the replies to this topic. The problem it seems is one of education. Here in Philadelphia parents pay quite a price to send their kids to "rock" concerts (to use an all-encompssing term). Yet, they aren't even fans of "classical" music themselves. I am engaging in generalities, of course. It is up to parents to foster an interest in these things. If one only offers a child MacDonald's, then that will be that child's food of choice. But, if a parent offers a variety of choices, the child will have a broader range of tastes. The cost of a Philadelphia Orchestra concert or Ballet etc. can be somewhat dear for many pocketbooks, but consider the price of a Rolling Stones or Aerosmith concert! 2 or 3 times the cost of any other performance, plus the peer pressure to be one of the crowd.

Children should be taught the value of such things to the point of not "needing" to be part of the "crowd". Parents must be free-thinkers in order to bring up children who aren't merely "drones" of commercial society. There have been too many generations brought up on nothing but FM Radio with its surpluss of absolute sameness. Here in Philadelphia we have one of the finest orchestras in the world, yet we have no full-time classical music station. A true shame.

Every chance I get, I drag kids, and adult friends to the ballet or orchestra or even plays for that matter and they are always blown away by the experience. They never realised that it wasn't boring because it was never offered or even considered as "fun", and moreover, was viewed as square by their peers. The change can only come about one family, one status-quo-free person at a time.

Comment

Working...
    X