I need advice.-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need advice.-

For the last two months I focus my attention to clasical music.

Of course, I know the typical pieces that everyone know.

But the critical point was the 9th Symphony of Beethoven, the more I listen to it the more i love it.

I can´t describe the feelings about this master piece.

So, i decide to explore Beethoven´s work.

Then, I realize not only it´s the 9th, but all his symphonies are fantastic.

Today i have been listening every symphony he created, and my admiration is increasing day by day.

The question would be Should i keep listening cpmplete Beethoven´s creation?

In this case, what do you suggest me to continue ?

Or, maybe, it would be interesting pass to another compositor ?

Who ?

I really look forward read your advices, because i really rely on the forum.

Thanks a lot fiends.

I think the next logical step would be to look into Beethoven's concertos (the 5 piano, 1 violin, 1 triple) and string quartets. Maybe the piano sonatas, too.

If you like Beethoven, stick with Beethoven. because you won't find anything like him anywhere else. Not that there aren't other wonderful composers. If you have been enjoying Beethoven, you might find something of interest in Mozart's works.

Comment

Josecarlos
      It was the same way to me, as my first works of Beethoven I really listened to, where also the symphonies. It was more a coincidence I saw this symphonie set – priced for about 15$! Up from this day I listened not much to other music for half a year, then just to all the symphonies. The futher way was and is similar like Chris mentioned...

Be happy, we have a lot to explore

Comment

JOSECARLOS! Questions worthy consideration.
        I think you should try to find out what type of music makes most sense to you for the moment being. My humble suggestion to you is that you ought to try similar music by other near-style composers: perhaps the symphonies by Schubert, Brahms; Otherwise try Beethoven's Concertos (they are all extraordinary), his Septet, or the String quartets of the first/middle periods. More members will admit other works. - If you want be 'better' guilded I think it would do well if you could somewhat define what kind of features you enjoy on listening to the works. Beethoven offers an astonishing range of moods and complexity in his music. Keep questioning! I think it's good of you. / Geratlas sending over to You . : i !

Comment

I understand completely what you are saying which, in so many ways, mirrors my own early experiences of classical music. I found Schubert's Synphony No 8 ("The Unfinished") a marvellous step on from Beethoven,although I am always led back to Luigi simply because of the breadth of his musical ideas. You should also try Tschaikovsky - his last three symphonies will, as we say in London, "knock your socks off" Best regards Tony
          Love from London

Comment

Jose:

I would agree with the others and say the Piano Concertos should be next for you. They are amazing!

------------------
            v russo
            v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
              I understand completely what you are saying which, in so many ways, mirrors my own early experiences of classical music. I found Schubert's Synphony No 8 ("The Unfinished") a marvellous step on from Beethoven,although I am always led back to Luigi simply because of the breadth of his musical ideas. You should also try Tschaikovsky - his last three symphonies will, as we say in London, "knock your socks off" Best regards Tony
              Apologies I referred to the Maestro as Luigi, probably because I had just been reading another discussion on the site I meant, of course, Ludwig

Love from London

Comment

i would like to thank tou very much for your answers.

i am sure i am going to learn to understand the secrets of clasical music with all you.

i don´t know why but to tell the truth, i only listen to clasical music, above all Beethoven, for the last months.

i think i have gone into an undiscovered world for me, and i am anxious to discover it, you will play the role of the guide.

thanks, again.

Comment

Hola, Jose! What, may I ask, started you listening to classical music in the first place?

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The fist piece of clasical music i ever listened to was The 9th.

My father used play in the radiocasette when i was really young, about 6 years old.

So, it seems to me as this music has always been inside me.

By this little far stage of my life i left clasical music beside, though sometimes i listened some pieces in the radio , etc.

But I think "something" got up, and i am enyoying with Beethoven´s symphonies.

In this last holydays I only spent 25 € for all the symphonies, well, except the second one, it will be my next goal.

Bye fiends.

Comment

Originally posted by josecarlos:

In this case, what do you suggest me to continue ?
                      Quite frankly, you could propably go with everything, there isn't one single genre of which he wasn't master.

His greatest achievement (even more then his symphonies) are his String Quartets, the last 10 being quite possibly the best ever written for the genre, defenatly a must have. (Particularly when played by the Talich quartet on Callipe).

His 32 Piano Sonatas, 5 Piano Concertos and the Violin Concerto are also all worth having.

There are also a few masterpeices among the 10 Violin Sonatas, 5 Cello Sonatas and 7 Piano Trios.

He wrote only one Mass (Missa Solemnis) and one Opera (Fidelio), both of which are also among the best ever written.

For the time being, this shall be enought, but don't rush yourself, you wouldn't want to burn yourself and have nothing left to listen to.

Before you do buy anything however be sure to check here for suggestions, getting the right perfomances can make a huge difference.

Originally posted by josecarlos:

Or, maybe, it would be interesting pass to another compositor ?

Who ?
                      Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pace yourself by mixing other composers into the mold.

Beethoven was a classicist, so Haydn and Mozart come to mind.

You can start off with the Haydn Sting Quartet Op.76 played by Tatrai and the Mozart 5 String Quintets by Griller on Vanguard, just to see if you can like their music.

[This message has been edited by Opus131 (edited January 18, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                        I found Schubert's Synphony No 8 ("The Unfinished") a marvellous step on from Beethoven
                        I always seen Schubert music (and indeed, much of 19th century romanticism) as a step down from Beethoven.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Opus131:
                          [B] I always seen Schubert music (and indeed, much of 19th century romanticism) as a step down from Beethoven.

This is nonsense,Beethoven is Beethoven ,Schubert is Schubert,each have their place.Music is not a contest!

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Opus131:
                            I always seen Schubert music (and indeed, much of 19th century romanticism) as a step down from Beethoven.

A correction to your point above Opus131, Beethoven composed TWO Masses, the Solemn Mass and also a Mass in C, op86. I have stated my position on Schubert enough already.

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

If it's another composer you want to go onto, might I suggest Franz Joseph Haydn. His London Symhonies are an excellent stating point. They are Nos. 93 to 104.

Comment

Working...
                              X