CARE FOR masterpieces, ANYONE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CARE FOR masterpieces, ANYONE?

Good Morning/Good Day/Good Evening/Good Night!
    (depending on time of reading, naturally)
    We all enjoy the many works of master Beethoven. Presumably we all know the MASTERPIECES: There's the 9 symphonies, most concertos and overtures, opera Fidelio, the most PIANO SONATAS!, the 2 masses, many, many chamber works etc. which we CARE for!
    And then there is also the masterpieces: lesser known works which perhaps deserve a bit of attention. What do you think? -
    DO YOU KNOW OF ANY LESSER-KNOWN WORK(S) WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE TO PROMOTE? IF SO, PLEASE DO!
    ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: ::: >>>
    SENDING over to ALL AND EVERY-ONE:::

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited January 08, 2004).]

Hello,

well, i dont no many works which is not well known, but i no his piano works coz im a pianist. so id suggest the bagatels and rondos which u did not seem to hav mentioned. anyway, if u had asked abu chopin i wud be able to do better!

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Shane:
      Hello,
      well, i dont no many works which is not well known, but i no his piano works coz im a pianist. so id suggest the bagatels and rondos which u did not seem to hav mentioned. anyway, if u had asked abu chopin i wud be able to do better!
      Shane
      GOOD OF YOU SHANE!
      Rondos and bagatelles - any specific or all as one genre? And as you would do better if I had asked about Chopin, I ask you: Is there any lesser-known works in the Chopin oeuvre that you feel we should know of? Tell me .
      I'm curious . G. sending back to you S.:::

Comment

Yes, the nearly unheard Rondo in G for Violin & Piano, WoO 41. And also the Variations for Violin & Piano WoO 40. These little pieces are seldom recorded and never played on the radio, but they are tiny gems. Too bad more fiddlers don't learn them!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

my vote is for the Eroica variations and the Op. 126 Bagatells.

------------------
          v russo
          v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Shane:
            Hello,

Shane
            Yes, indeed, there are many of his smaller piano works that are masterpieces! Perhaps not so unknown, but neglected due to her bigger sister, I name the Mass in C as a "minor" masterwork.

Comment

For you who are unacquainted to the smaller chamber works I must make a call for the Duet for viola and cello, WoO.32 which combines sheer Beethovenian amiability with witty charm all through. Quite symphonic, the 1st movement. /F. Geratlas

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                For you who are unacquainted to the smaller chamber works I must make a call for the Duet for viola and cello, WoO.32 which combines sheer Beethovenian amiability with witty charm all through. Quite symphonic, the 1st movement. /F. Geratlas
                We had many rare Beethoven works such as this made available as this site as mp3s a while back, pity you weren't around at the time.

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

One of my favourites is the 6 Ecossaises in E flat Major WoO 83. This delightful piano piece was written in 1806.

A basic MIDI file can be heard here:
                  http://www.melvynwright.com/midi/ecossais.mid

Melvyn.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    Yes, the nearly unheard Rondo in G for Violin & Piano, WoO 41. And also the Variations for Violin & Piano WoO 40. These little pieces are seldom recorded and never played on the radio, but they are tiny gems. Too bad more fiddlers don't learn them!
                    Dearest Gurn!
                    I am aware of your appreciation of the violin. Alas, I am not half as aware of this round. I have it on record but haven't had the guts to listen to it! But when (NB:not 'if') I do so I will think of you. So you might think of me when listening to the 3 PIANO QUARTETS (1785) - a work clearly on my chamber-music-top-1O-list. Reason? They're so typically LvB: distinguished, subtle and as fresh as the 8th symphony. / F. Geratlas

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited January 12, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      We had many rare Beethoven works such as this made available as this site as mp3s a while back, pity you weren't around at the time.
                      SO I DULY THANK YOU FOR YOUR SENTIMENT, ROD! IT'S APPRECIATED!
                      "If but I heard the 'double-work'..." - RatGelas

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                        Dearest Gurn!
                        I am aware of your appreciation of the violin. Alas, I am not half as aware of this round. I have it on record but haven't had the guts to listen to it! But when (NB:not 'if') I do so I will think of you. So you might think of me when listening to the 3 PIANO QUARTETS (1785) - a work clearly on my chamber-music-top-1O-list. Reason? They're so typically LvB: distinguished, subtle and as fresh as the 8th symphony. / F. Geratlas

Geratlas,
                        Yes, by all means, the piano quartets are a wonder. My first choice among all of them is the 2nd movement of #1, this is a most amazing movement for a 14 year old boy! And I add this bit about them too, Mozart is credited with composing the first known paino quartets, more or less inventing the genre. But this is because his quartets were published (also in 1785). But in fact, Beeethoven's WoO 36 quartets were written several months BEFORE Mozart's, they were never published though in his lifetime and were found in his effects after his death. So...

PS - You are doing yourself an injustice to not listen to this charming little Rondo. Beethoven has already proven with his bagatelles that a work need not be large to be good, no?

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited January 12, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited January 13, 2004).]
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Geratlas,
                          Yes, by all means, the piano quartets are a wonder. My first choice among all of them is the 2nd movement of #1, this is a most amazing movement for a 14 year old boy! And I add this bit about them too, Mozart is credited with composing the first known paino quartets, more or less inventing the genre. But this is because his quartets were published (also in 1785). But in fact, Beeethoven's WoO 36 quartets were written several months BEFORE Mozart's, they were never published though in his lifetime and were found in his effects after his death. So...
                          PS - You are doing yourself an injustice to not listen to this charming little Rondo. Beethoven has already proven with his bagatelles that a work need not be large to be good, no?
                          Gurn, I must say that I can't thank you enough for taking the effort to reply in this most appreciative manner. Honest!
                          Your comment on the piano quartet as genre
                          was delightful to read. How can you know it all? I'm in awe, but not jelous, and I want you to know that I think very highly of you
                          and your views.
                          Moreover I very much agree (VERY MUCH that is) with you that even the 'minor' works deserve their place in 'the open'. I have felt this myself, ever since I start to uncover the 'unknowns'. So... I promise you that I will listen to the RONDO. And the funny thing is that I won't be disappointed! The contrary, im SURE! (THANK YOU FOR THIS, AND SO MANY OTHER THINGS, YET AGAIN) / Y.F.G.

Comment

I am not a professional musician but, for me, Grosse Fugue and the middle quartet Op 95 'Serioso' are just tremendous and, I would humbly submit, way in advance of the Meastro's time. Surely this fantastic music is arresting to the ear of most avant garde listeners even in 2004

Love from London
                            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                              I am not a professional musician but, for me, Grosse Fugue and the middle quartet Op 95 'Serioso' are just tremendous and, I would humbly submit, way in advance of the Meastro's time. Surely this fantastic music is arresting to the ear of most avant garde listeners even in 2004

Love from London
                              TJ,
                              Op 95 and 135 are my 2 favorite late quartets. Along with Op 90 sonata, I see Op 95 as beginning the "Late" period, and I think it is as you say, very progressive. I think Op 135 is a greatly underrated piece, I have seen it described as relatively tepid and lightweight, but I think that B was using it as a vehicle for changing musical directions on us yet again, that he had said what he wanted to say with the big fugues and the like and was preparing to move forward again, until death intervened with his plans. So it goes. As for the Große Fuge, I am still thinking about it ;-) Love to listen to both versions, but frankly it may be too much for me. I have just recently found a little guide book for understanding the construction of it, and I shall try again.

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment