Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the topic of the symphonies

I have a curiosity.

Beethoven sometimes composed his symphonies using a topic which could be the genesis of his natural inspiration .

I mean,the fifth would be the destiny force, the 9th would be the ode to the joy, the sixth would be obvious, since it is a pastoral, everything this according to the books i have read.

But what about the rest of the symphonies ?

Did they have any topic or they were simple examples of beethovenĀ“s tremendous imagination ?

Futhermore, i would like to know your two favourite syphonies?.

I take part with the 9th and the 6th.

Greetings from Spain.

As far as 'direct' topics goes, the Eorica is also an obvious case (dispise Beethoven's best effords to remove the reference ), but i don't know about the rest.

If you delve a little deeper thought, you might find a biographical signature in most of Beethoven's works, including most of the symphonies.

For instance, i beleive the 9th it's a reference to himself, as it were...

[This message has been edited by Opus131 (edited January 16, 2004).]

Comment

I love the "Eroica"Symphony,no.3. It is my favorite piece of music ever. As you probably know, he was originally going to name it after Napoleon, which is pretty special, as he almost never named his pieces after people.

Comment

As for my two favorites, it's almost impossible to say, and it changes all the time. My favorite is usually No. 4. Second place skips around a lot, but No. 7 has it right now.

Comment

For more years then I care to count, the "Eroica" has been my favorite, followed closely by the 7th.

Steve

Comment

I have nine favourites indeed, cause I couldn't miss just one. They are all unbelieveable good. Sometimes I have the idea to listen to ONE symphony. So it must be this, every other, even from Beethoven, would be wrong.

A "serie" I like very much, are of course the three romantic symphonies, beginning with the Pastorale 6, 7 and 8.

What I always have to laugh about, is the price I had to pay for my symphony set: 15$ for all symphonies. So many hours of best ever available music for the price you couldn't buy one disc of the newest rubbish...

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by josecarlos:
              [B]

But what about the rest of the symphonies ?

Did they have any topic or they were simple examples of beethovenĀ“s tremendous imagination ?

I have some ideas on the 7th symphony. Topic: the seasons.
              Starts
              1 movment
              autumn
              2 movment
              Vinter
              3 movment
              Spring
              4 movment
              Summer

My favourite symphony would be the 9th. second comes the 8th.

Comment

Since childhood, my favorites have been #5 and #9.
                As with any truly great works of art, the symphonies can be approached from many different angles and still have great meaning. In one sense, the Eroica is about Napolean; in another sense it is about the aspirations of every human being; in another sense it is the symphony itself--taking the form to new heights.
                There is a universality to Beethoven. Even Disney could slap his own visual interpretation on Beethoven and it kind of works.
                I tend to not associate literal things with this music, but believe it is perfectly valid. Sometimes classical music is like ink blots. Everyone sees something different.

Comment

urtextmeister (jose):

that is the great thing about music, it is such an abstract art in a sense. All of the great arts fall into this category. It is not about what it is,... but what you make it.

------------------
                  v russo
                  v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                    urtextmeister (jose):

that is the great thing about music, it is such an abstract art in a sense. All of the great arts fall into this category. It is not about what it is,... but what you make it.

I try not to think of the instrumental music in terms of 'storylines', i don't think Beethoven composed in that manner even when influenced by prose of one kind or another. Music is music, or it should be. Any storyline should never be overt.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited January 25, 2004).]
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      I try not to think of the instrumental music in terms of 'storylines', i don't think Beethoven composed in that manner even when influenced by prose of one kind or another. Music is music, or it should be. Any storyline should never be overt.

I dont agree with you. If you where to tell somethig about you feelings should you not tell a story? And if it isnt a story, what is the point of composing then. If it is just for fun then i agree with you.

But beethoven called himself a poet of music. And a poet has a point. A meaning behind the music. Beethoven spent days and weeks jut to compose a bar of music.(In his best works).

Works of Beethoven has for the most part a "happy" ending. It is a Rondo a fuge or a combination of this. Finale of the 5th, finale of the 9th, finale of the 8th this is just exemples of the happy end that Beethoven creates.

Comment

Working...
                      X