Roger Norrington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger Norrington

I have just joined this site, it looks very interesting. Just recently, I picked up the Norrington/London Classical Players CDs of the Nine Symphonies, and also the Piano Concertos. I already had the Hanover Band series. I should add that these performances all use original instruments, tuning, and meters as set out by the man himself. I can describe them all as a revelation, after so many "Romantic" performances, another of which I heard last night at the Liverpool "Phil". Hmmm.....well I urge anyone to go out and buy at least some of these recordings, I was on the edge of my seat, and they are like Gold. It may be that our ears are more accustomed to modern versions, but to hear the old way of doing them is something we should all do, regardless of our personal preferences. I hope some of you guys out there will listen to some of these recordings!

Originally posted by roffensis:
    I have just joined this site, it looks very interesting. Just recently, I picked up the Norrington/London Classical Players CDs of the Nine Symphonies, and also the Piano Concertos. I already had the Hanover Band series. I should add that these performances all use original instruments, tuning, and meters as set out by the man himself. I can describe them all as a revelation, after so many "Romantic" performances, another of which I heard last night at the Liverpool "Phil". Hmmm.....well I urge anyone to go out and buy at least some of these recordings, I was on the edge of my seat, and they are like Gold. It may be that our ears are more accustomed to modern versions, but to hear the old way of doing them is something we should all do, regardless of our personal preferences. I hope some of you guys out there will listen to some of these recordings!
    Well if you are interested in authentic instruments I know where you are comming from. You are in luck because currently at the 'mp3' page of the Beethoven Reference Site you will find extracts from my own Beethoven CD collection on authentic instruments (I suspect the world's finest collection of this sort!).

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks Rod for the link, it was a great surprise. I was listening to the Broadwood Piano earlier, marvellous!! The Romantic Era has a lot to answer for!!!

Comment

Originally posted by roffensis:
        Thanks Rod for the link, it was a great surprise. I was listening to the Broadwood Piano earlier, marvellous!! The Romantic Era has a lot to answer for!!!
        The vast majority of fortepiano performances these days use Viennese instruments (or copies of) not the English variety such as the Broadwood. Though these English fortepianos have a solid enough, colourful sound, this sound lacks the finesse that you usually get from the best Viennese fortepianos. That is, the English fps tend to sound rather clunky and mechanical.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X