Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chopin or Beethoven? (personal preferance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chopin or Beethoven? (personal preferance)

Hello every1!

i hav always loved beethoven above any1 up until abu a year or so ago when i discovered chopin. since then beethoven hav sadly dropped to second after chopin. maybe its jus becoz im a pianist and chopin wrote mainly for the piano. but he jus seemed to hav this force which makes love his music and its really addictive.

so i jus like to no ur personal favourites and maybe some of the pieces u like too. for me its the 1st ballade of chopin, the etudes(revolutionary, triestese, winterwind absolute favourites), but i love all his music. and for beethoven, undoubtedly the sonatas and concertos for piano, moonlight, pathetique, appasionata, hammerklavier, op 111. i jus love them all!

Shane

Originally posted by Shane:
    Hello every1!

i hav always loved beethoven above any1 up until abu a year or so ago when i discovered chopin. since then beethoven hav sadly dropped to second after chopin. maybe its jus becoz im a pianist and chopin wrote mainly for the piano. but he jus seemed to hav this force which makes love his music and its really addictive.

so i jus like to no ur personal favourites and maybe some of the pieces u like too. for me its the 1st ballade of chopin, the etudes(revolutionary, triestese, winterwind absolute favourites), but i love all his music. and for beethoven, undoubtedly the sonatas and concertos for piano, moonlight, pathetique, appasionata, hammerklavier, op 111. i jus love them all!

Shane
    Shane
    I have no Chopin favourite, because I don't know any. But Chopin is mentioned so many times here in the forum, that I have a reason to put a closer ear to it...regards & thx

Comment

you could prefer Chopin to Beethoven, or Beethoven to Chopin, but there would not have been a Chopin (the way he was) without the old Louis Von.

------------------
      v russo
      v russo

Comment

Well, I'm afraid that I like Beethoven just a little bit better, but I don't really like to compare them. I love Chopin's third piano sonata, his nocturnes, and the etudes. I played Chopin's first nocturne, and I loved it, but I have never played any of his other pieces. As for Beethoven, my favorite pieces would have to be the Eroica symphony and the three sonatas in opus 31.

Comment

I started off only listening to Beethoven and then I started listening to other composers and Beethoven and Chopin are definatly my two favorites. But if I really had to choose, it would be Beethoven.

Comment

Hello every1!

Shane
            Well you put your finger on it - Chopin wrote primarily for piano so perhaps it would be fairer to ask whose piano music you prefer! When it comes to other genres, orchestral, chamber, sacred etc there is no contest. It is this that marks Beethoven out as he produced first rate music on a consistently high level.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hello every1!

Shane

Sadly to say, I have not had any particular interest in Chopin (yet I do have great respect for what he did as a composer) until I actually played some of his mazurkas. It may be poor performances, but I have yet to hear some Chopin that moves me. But again, I enjoy playing the things of his that I am able.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Shaney boy,
                You obviously have discerning taste!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 08, 2004).]
                Amalie,

wud u like to explain that a bit further please?!!!! and, im no boy!!!!

Comment

As for me, I am quite fond of Chopin, and i am passionately fond of Beethoven, but they are so different that the entire concept of preferring one to the other never occurred to me! I am a big fan of the Polonaise, and B's is worthy of Chopin's standard, if you want to compare apples to apples, I guess that's the best I can do.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    As for me, I am quite fond of Chopin, and i am passionately fond of Beethoven, but they are so different that the entire concept of preferring one to the other never occurred to me! I am a big fan of the Polonaise, and B's is worthy of Chopin's standard, if you want to compare apples to apples, I guess that's the best I can do.

Gurn
                    I've just been listening to Evgeny Kissin play Chopin's Polonaise opus 53,what fabulous playing.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                      Gurn
                      I've just been listening to Evgeny Kissin play Chopin's Polonaise opus 53,what fabulous playing.

And Op 53 in Ab is one of his best too. Brilliant bit of work, I bet Kissin really kicks it.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Amalie,

wud u like to explain that a bit further please?!!!! and, im no boy!!!!

Dear Shane,
                        Please accept my apologies if my intended compliment on your good taste in music did not come over too well.
                        I also noted that you are a student and therefore assumed that you are probably a lot younger than I am. Sorry Shane, no offence meant.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 10, 2004).]
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Hello every1!

Shane
                          I'm fond of Chopin music..In my opinion -and it's the opinon of many others-Chopin is the greatest piano composer of all time. For me,nothing compares to his dreamy nocturns ,just listen to his first nocturn op 9-1 and you'll know what romanticism is..
                          I also love his first and second Ballades ..The etudes mentioned, many of his preludes including op 24-15 (Raindrop prelude)and prelude op24-7 (although very short piece),his mazurkas are very nice also..

However,I've not played any Chopin's yet, I'll be gratefull if you advise me with the easiest Chopin pieces.To have an idea about my level, I'm about to complete B's first and second movements of the moonlight,also,I'n working on the first movement of Op.79..

For all who would like to know or hear midi's of Chopin's works..I'll advice with this good website: www.chopinfiles.com
                          Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Dear Shane,
                            Please accept my apologies if my intended compliment on your good taste in music did not come over too well.
                            I also noted that you are a student and therefore assumed that you are probably a lot younger than I am. Sorry Shane, no offence meant.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 10, 2004).]
                            Amalie,

lol, i was only kidding!!! glad u like chopin too. and, surely a 5th year student cant be called a boy?!

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                              you could prefer Chopin to Beethoven, or Beethoven to Chopin, but there would not have been a Chopin (the way he was) without the old Louis Von.

If one listens to Johann Hummel's piano concertos you really have to wonder how much of an influence he had on Chopin.

Comment

Working...
                              X