Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of Biographies: How about Mozart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Biographies: How about Mozart?

I just read a biography on him by "Marcia Davenport". It alright, she does some things I dont like. First of all, she seems to have made some errors. Ive read several places that Mozart never made that remark "he will make noise in the world some day", that he never even saw Beethoven play. However, she describes the whole scene. Not only this but she has dialogue and narration, which is much too specific for being so long ago. Like she will say "Mozart shrugged and fiddled with a pen" then go on with dialogue, stuff like that. I dunno, it seems made up in parts...

That being siad, I know Solomon has a book on him, a rather large book at that. A lot of people here dont seem to like him, so Im wondering if you have read this one.

Suggest any others you think are good.
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
    I just read a biography on him by "Marcia Davenport". It alright, she does some things I dont like. First of all, she seems to have made some errors. Ive read several places that Mozart never made that remark "he will make noise in the world some day", that he never even saw Beethoven play. However, she describes the whole scene. Not only this but she has dialogue and narration, which is much too specific for being so long ago. Like she will say "Mozart shrugged and fiddled with a pen" then go on with dialogue, stuff like that. I dunno, it seems made up in parts...

That being siad, I know Solomon has a book on him, a rather large book at that. A lot of people here dont seem to like him, so Im wondering if you have read this one.

Suggest any others you think are good.
    Members of the board here shared their expert advice and great recommendations on the choice of Mozart Biographies. I have now purchased for my husband, MOZART, The Golden Years, by, H.C. Robbins Landon. and on order, the Robert Gutman publication. You may also be interested in the list Steve posted. on the Mozart Bio page here. http://www.gyrix.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001287.html

Steve's link, http://www.openmozart.net/jsp/bibliography.jsp

I am most grateful for everyone's help!

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 20, 2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Here's a list of my Mozart collection:

1. "1791 Mozart's Last Year" by H.C. Robbins Landon
      2. "Mozart, From Child Prodigy to Tragic Hero" by Michel Parouty
      3. "Mozart and the Masons" by H.C. Robbins Landon
      4. "Mozart, The Man and the Artist Revealed in His Own Words" by Friedrich Kerst and Henry Krehbiel
      5. "The Magic Flute" from the English National Opera Guide 3
      6. "Mozart" by Wolfgang Hildesheimer
      7. "Mozart and Masonry" by Paul Nettl
      8. "Mozart" by Ian McLean
      9. "Mozart" from the Portraits of Greatness, Elite Publishing Corp.
      10. "Mozart the Golden Years" by H.C. Robbins Landon
      11. "Mozart" by Hugh Ottaway
      12. "Mozart's Letters" by Emily Anderson
      13. "Mozart, His Character, His Work" by Alfred Einstein

Comment

A most delightful Mozart read is "Mozart Speaks" by Robert L Marshall.
        A compliation of exerpts of his letters that give his views on music,his artistic code,his teaching methods,and his views on composition.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
        X