Help whit sonata OP 10 no 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help whit sonata OP 10 no 1

I am learning the sonata Op 10 no 1... i need to know if i can find advice about the interpretation on internet. I have a teacher, but also i want to do research

The C minor sonata Op.10/1 probably dates from 1796 and was dedicated to Countess Von Browne (1769-1803) - she was also the dedicatee of 2 sets of variations (WoO71 & WoO76). Her husband Count Johann Browne had served as a senior officer in the Russian army and was amongst Beethoven's earliest patrons in Vienna (he even bought Beethoven a horse on one occasion!)

The first movement is passionate and suggestive of suppressed agitation. There are sublte surprises in this movement such as the delayed entry of the 2nd subject. Also note how the 2nd subject in the recapitulation enters in the 'wrong' key of F - so even in these early works, Beethoven was breaking the rules and producing far from text book examples of sonata form.
    The 2nd movement has the first and second subjects & coda of sonata form but no development section, probably to avoid excessive length as the finale is also in sonata form.

Attention to Beethoven's legato and staccato markings is essential. Make sure in the 1st movement that the climax comes at bar 94 - in other words keep your full tone back for this moment and don't overdo the preceding FFs. The adagio needs a good singing tone and the accompanying quaver chords from bar 24 should on no account be played staccato! Finale - quite a strong accent on the 1st Eb, last bar no rit and no pedal.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X