Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Complete Piano Sonatas"

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask a question. Which "Complete" piano sonata box set would you recommend as far as being "Complete" and true to the pieces?
    thanks

Originally posted by CTW77:
    Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask a question. Which "Complete" piano sonata box set would you recommend as far as being "Complete" and true to the pieces?
    thanks
    I'm curious too, and please make them choices that are available, and a set or two on fortepiano would be great. I am looking to upgrade my Brendel's, but exotic suggestions that I can't find in a million years won't be much help ;-)) Been there already!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by CTW77:
      Hello,
      thanks
      I wouldn't recommend any.

The sonatas can be easely collected in small crops, allowing you to choose among the very best performances.

[This message has been edited by Opus131 (edited January 08, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        I'm curious too, and please make them choices that are available, and a set or two on fortepiano would be great. I am looking to upgrade my Brendel's, but exotic suggestions that I can't find in a million years won't be much help ;-)) Been there already!

In my personal view the Brendel Box recordings simply cannot be bettered.
        Nobody in my view has the phrasing and delicate architecture of form and expression as Brendel. Every time I listen to him I just get the profound feeling that he has thought through the whole peice that he is playing and his pressure on the keys just fantastic.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Richard Goode -Elektra Nonesuch 7559-79328--2
          Brendel - Philips 412 575-2PH11

Historical: Schnabel (1935 - mono) (PEARL)

Period instrument: Paul Komen (Globe)

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm tired to search piece for piece, I'm dreaming since a while for such a set. I will look out for Brendel.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

In my personal view the Brendel Box recordings simply cannot be bettered.
              Nobody in my view has the phrasing and delicate architecture of form and expression as Brendel. Every time I listen to him I just get the profound feeling that he has thought through the whole peice that he is playing and his pressure on the keys just fantastic.

Amalie,
              Oh, I'm not tired of the Brendel by any means, I am just looking for a different point of view, I think each artist has one and I like to see things through their eyes too. I have found this to be true with the bagatelles in particular, but I don't have a lot of different sonata interpretations to listen to. Variety, the spice of life!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Richard Goode -Elektra Nonesuch 7559-79328--2
                Brendel - Philips 412 575-2PH11

Historical: Schnabel (1935 - mono) (PEARL)

Period instrument: Paul Komen (Globe)

Peter,
                I checked in Tower Records today for, Paul Komen on period instrument, but according to the representative, this recording has been deleted, which seems a great shame. Hopefully it will be reisssued.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 09, 2004).]
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Peter,
                  I checked in Tower Records today for, Paul Komen on period instrument, but according to the representative, this recording has been deleted, which seems a great shame. Hopefully it will be reisssued.
                  ----------------------------------------
                  Some of the Komen Recordings are still available at Amazon, UK. Check out-
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...254508-2571643

Alfred

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 09, 2004).]
                  Cocchini

Comment

My experience with Globe recordings, as with Stradivarius, is that they make one, very small production run of an issue, and that's it. Even though I have ordered at least 10 different titles from one or the other of these labels, I still don't own a single one!!!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I like brendel's box very much, but he always play a litle bit to fast, he is good, almost the best, but i like more the interpretatio of Arrau.

Comment

Working...
                      X