Beethoven & Opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven & Opera

Out of interest and information purposes, I would like to post the following fascinating item: http://www.dhm.de/museen/staedel/von...nd/bbild03.htm

This pictorial exhibit appears to be part of the original sketch of Beethoven's 'Ghost Tro', opus 70a.
    It is marked in what appears to be the unmistakable heavy hand of Beethoven, with its obliterations probably only Beethoven himself could read. To me it is like observing the very thought processes of a genius in action.

In 1808 Beethoven conceived the idea of composing an opera on the subject of Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', to a libretto by H.J. von Collin, who unfortunately died on in June 1811. However Beethoven's sketches survive, and on the leaf with sketches for the Witches' scene, there are also sketches for the slow movement Largo of the illustrated 'Ghost Trio'.

I am also fascinated with Beethoven's earlier contribution to Opera, Umlauf's adaptation of the Podoerotica Opera.
    "soll ein Schuh nicht drucken" (If a shoe is not to pinch). Beethoven composed two replacement arias that are catalogued as WoO 91.no 2. 1795.
    However it was not Beethoven's first aquaintance with the Opera, it had already been staged at Bonn in the second and third seasons (1789/91 and 1790/91 of the newly opened National Theatre. Apparently as a teenager had taken an active part in these productions ; he was a viola player in the orchestra, surrounded by such colleagues as Franz Ries, Antonin Reicha and his uncle Joseph, the Romberg cousins and his former teacher Neefe was stage director of the Theatre. The young Ludwig was confronted with this opera on at least three different occasions spread out over about twelve years. This Opera was about the kinky fascination with podosexuality.

I look forward of course, to any further information, or corrections on this fascinating subject.

With many thanks.
    Amalie

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 15, 2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Thanks for sharing the picture interesting to view and study. Also for the interesting article on the Beethoven's Ghost Trio.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

How could any of the publicists find that even remotely comprehensible it's beyong me...

Comment

Working...
      X