Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Page mp3s - Sonatas for Fortepiano and Violin - in A minor, Op.23 and F maj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic Page mp3s - Sonatas for Fortepiano and Violin - in A minor, Op.23 and F maj

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Thanks Rod,
    These are my two favourite sonatas for piano and violin. Such wonderful mastery and indescribable charm that Beethoven displays.
    I enjoyed the fortepiano.
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Danke, Rod. Two lovely pieces that really made my day. The sun is shining here in Vienna for the first time in days and some of the 2 feet of snow that we've had here has gone. This has been the most snow that we've had in years and I am not a winter person. Thank god for Beethoven and his wonderful music to cheer me up.

Comment

Molto espressivo, Rod! Danke auch von mir.

Comment

These are further extracts from the complete sonatas set that has long been deleted from the catalogue but I can say is the best collection I have heard of this music. Generally good dynamic interpretations in a spacious accoustic. I think in the adagio the pianist is using the moderator pedal throughout, hence the muted tone.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Thanks Rod,
            These are my two favourite sonatas for piano and violin. Such wonderful mastery and indescribable charm that Beethoven displays.
            I enjoyed the fortepiano.
            Did you (or other readers) notice any discernable differences with the sound of the violin compared to the modern equivalent?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Did you (or other readers) notice any discernable differences with the sound of the violin compared to the modern equivalent?

Upon reflection, if you are listening on crappy little PC speakers it may be difficult to tell any difference!

------------------

Comment

Rod,
                Of all the sonatas, the a minor is my favorite, and this is a splendid rendition. I suppose it is as the text says, it is overshadowed by its melodic neighbor, but nonetheless, it is a peach. Thanks,

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well Rod, The violin certainly is very fine and pleasant, (perhaps a bit thin). Forgive my untutored ears on authentic intstruments, but don't you think the violin seems to play on the high register all the time. I wouldn't exactly say it was terrible. I very much enjoy listening to the violin. It is wonderful to have the opportunity listen to authentic instruments.
                  I guess I am so used to listening to the sonats by , David Oistrakh. I love them all. Plus the Complete String Trios, Grumiaux - Trio

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 12, 2004).]

Comment

Upon reflection, if you are listening on crappy little PC speakers it may be difficult to tell any difference!

Well I am listening on crappy pc speakers and you're right! However I do prefer the warmer mellow tones of gut strings. A very nice performance and good to hear the rather fine but overshadowed Op23.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I enjoyed these very much, especially the slow one. Does listening thru the PC on fairly good Panasonic earphones count as 'crappy PC' sound? The violin to me does sound more 'gutty'. Unfortunately as an AR activist I can't stop thinking about those guts.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 13, 2004).]
                      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        I enjoyed these very much, especially the slow one. Does listening thru the PC on fairly good Panasonic earphones count as 'crappy PC' sound? The violin to me does sound more 'gutty'. Unfortunately as an AR activist I can't stop thinking about those guts.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 13, 2004).]

Well yes I see your point Chazz, but I guess we wouldn't have Stradivarius violins without authentic gut strings.
                        You have to admit that the sound from 'gut' strings is vastly superior to metal, yes?

Comment

I think period instruments (and strings) when it comes to string instruments can sound good in large numbers. I love the sound in my period instrument set of complete Mozart symphonies (they sound particularly appropriate for Mozart).

But I have never liked their sound in solo playing. It sounds like the bridge is leaning half forward, the soundpost fell down, and the bow is constantly losing the bite. The sound is weak and inconsistent to my ears.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited January 13, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Well yes I see your point Chazz, but I guess we wouldn't have Stradivarius violins without authentic gut strings.
                            You have to admit that the sound from 'gut' strings is vastly superior to metal, yes?

I've tried to answer this twice already today. For some reason I don't write cookies from this B. forum onto my computer hard drive anymore, which means my name and password are never defualted into the spaces above, which means I post a paragraph or more and then it doesn't get accepted and it goes lost, can't be recovered. I'll try again tomorrow, too tired of it right now!!

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                              I think period instruments (and strings) when it comes to string instruments can sound good in large numbers. I love the sound in my period instrument set of complete Mozart symphonies (they sound particularly appropriate for Mozart).

But I have never liked their sound in solo playing. It sounds like the bridge is leaning half forward, the soundpost fell down, and the bow is constantly losing the bite. The sound is weak and inconsistent to my ears.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited January 13, 2004).]
                              Well, solo or orchestral, I find returning to the sound of modern strings an uncomfortable experience after weeks of listening to the old variety, especially when accompanied with the usual grotesque amounts of vibrato.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X